bendeneo
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia

re: 2.0 Ghia - no MOT needs work - 1979

Post by bendeneo »

Hi all,

Long story short... I am selling my Mk3 2.0 Ghia, 1979

I am very sorry to say that I have come to the conclusion that I should sell my capri..... I have been aiming to put it back on the road (legally) for quite some time now, but yesterday I started re-surfacing my driveway and had to move my parked capri.... I charged the battery, had to jump start it, and had a lovely drive around the back roads for 5mins... and had a smile on my face. I then parked it across the road and could get a better look at it underneath because of the angle of the ground..... and I think that it is now past my level of expertise and my level of expenditure....

I have asked a neighbour who is well skilled in the art of welding to have a look, and will report back on what he says over the next few days..... but from my point of view I think that it is better that someone on this forum takes it on.... someone that has the time and interest. I could put it on fleabay of course but am sending this to you guys first.

So I am totally unhappy to be selling my capri.... but money is not on my side, and time will just make things worse.

I have attached photos, but here is the general info:

- 2.0 Ghia, 5 speed
- 1979 - T reg (not quite MOT free but close)
- Shark Grey interior - I bought and put this interior in around 7 years ago... and it is pretty good but has been unused for quite some time. The rest of the interior is in generally good form, look at the pictures and decide for yourself, it has never been concourse..... The headlining is not brilliant but not completely ratted.
- Tyres - not really acceptable for MOT due to age (I have 4 brand new ones, but am undecided as to whether I will include these or keep them for when I get another capri in the future
- Bodywork - hmm, so from the pictures it looks ok, but in reality whilst the panels all look pretty good, there is rust in a number of places. The 2 front wings are lacking toward the bottom, and the sills in the engine bay are bad.... so I think the front wings need replacing really. The bonnet I did a number on last year and skimmed, treated it with RustEze, fillered, primered... and then gave to a mechanic friend who then left it in his yard for months without doing anything to it...... and during that time a new ding appeared on the drivers side wing (see pictures), so whilst my time was not wasted... you can see rust colour now coming through in some places. The exact same scenario is the case for a number of areas on the car... and there are some other areas that havent been treated yet.... in reality the actual bodywork isnt too bad in my opinion, but the wings are in need.
- Sunroof - I wish it didnt have one, but I have worked on the roof a bit, but the seal isnt great, so there will have been some more damage caused over the last few months I guess.
- Grille - it has the Mk2 Grille... which we all love....
- Engine Bay - the inner rails for the wings as mentioned are pretty poor, the rest of the engine bay is fair but not great.... but in reality the only real problem is the strut tops, which have been done before and need doing again... there is a strut brace in place, but they do need doing again.... someone did the strut tops before with a relatively thick grade of steel but see from the pictures, it needs doing again.
- Engine - the engine is actually in my opinion very good..... I have taken it around the block every few months for the last few years, and aside from having to jump start it (I have trickle charged the battery to help, but its probably pretty rubbish), the engine runs very smooth and I must admit I dont know how.... I havent exactly been the best to it in terms of maintenance, simply because I havent been driving it much. What I am saying is that it is clearly a good resilient engine that seems to keep kicking. There is some oil in some areas of the engine.... standard. It has the obligatory K&N air filter, the 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and the 32/36 (from memory) carb.
- Carb - I have in the past put a carb kit on it, and it was great.. currently it has a flat spot between cruising and fast cruising.... when you put your foot flat to the ground and open the second choke it flies.... as you would expect..... so its good enough and good fun, but not perfect and could do with a clean no doubt.
- Brakes - in the last 4 years or so I have literally just taken it around the block... they work... seem ok actually, but I cant say much more
- Outside handles etc - the previous owners decided to go for the clean look, and so it has no bumpers, and no door or boot handles..... they had tried to hook up an electronic door opening system... and failed... so I tried, and failed too because the doors are good and the hinges are good, but clearly need adjusting... so it doesnt really matter how good the motors are if the doors are sitting. Therefore I created a hook/loop system whereby you open the doors with a wire loop just by the glass towards the back of the door... which has been acceptable on the MOT's that I have had it passed on.. I have no idea if anything has changed on the regs in this regard, but the regs state that as long as there is an external method of opening the doors then that is fine.... and it does.... and whenever I had it MOT'd it was fine. Personally I would have liked to put the handles back on..... The boot also has no badges or button... currently you just lift it open and it doesnt lock... it is completely handle-less... but looks quite nice actually. This car is not secure! I toyed with the idea of putting in various systems to lock internally but never got around to it.
Exhaust - no idea but it doesnt sound like there is any issue to me
It has a Mk2 steering wheel.... bit ratty

Basically I guess you could say it is a project..... someone before me messed it around and took off the handles and bumpers, and made it totally undriveable..... in my time I made it driveable and enjoyed it (without being able to lock it!) for a few years.... and now it is a sorrier version. You would have to spend a lot to return this back to original... but the right person could turn it back into something very fun.

I am gutted actually..... I simply dont have the time, funds or working area to do the work needed.... I assure you if I could find a way I would.... I have had many Capris and dont want to lose this one.... its not great, but it is a Capri nonetheless....

It will mean that I dont have to spend 20 mins talking about Capris with anyone who walks by or delivers something to my house though!

I dont know what else to state or tell you.... so feel free to ask questions....

Basically it has its good and bad points, but is still a Capri and can be better....

Let me know if you are interested, and a price, and hopefully someone can keep this on the road.... I wish I could.

By the same token, if you have an opinion on what it is worth please let me know.... because I wont let it go for silly money, but I do want to be fair and dont want my love of the car to overly hike the actual value.

Obviously I am not giving it away for silly money, but let me know your thoughts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hGPLw ... PCJdZtrL4x

Regards,

Ben

NB - feel free to message me for additional pictures and info.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hGPLw ... PCJdZtrL4x
Image[/URL]
bendeneo
Donator
Donator

Re: re: 2.0 Ghia - no MOT needs work - 1979

Post by bendeneo »

NB - the big shiny picture is from a few years ago! I just saw that after I posted! PLease click on the URL I have provided which goes to Google Drive.... or I can send you pictures if you give me an email address
Image[/URL]
bendeneo
Donator
Donator

Re: re: 2.0 Ghia - no MOT needs work - 1979

Post by bendeneo »

Hi all,

No questions so far or offers, which is fine, but I will put on ebay soon if nobody is interested, so if you are interested please let me know.

Regards,

Ben
Image[/URL]