Nice eBay 2.8i

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Nice eBay 2.8i

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Wrong time of year
That's my guess too.
The seller is right to have a reserve as I think the car should be worth more than the hammer price. He should sit on the car until the spring (not literally :lol: ).

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
He should sit on the car until the spring (not literally :lol: ).

Andrew.
:applaud:
It's strange the likes of KGF and another dealer I keep my eye on are still selling their cars, so not sure time of year is an issue, as if it's the right car someone wants they will buy anytime....
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

andyd wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
He should sit on the car until the spring (not literally :lol: ).

Andrew.
It's strange the likes of KGF and another dealer I keep my eye on are still selling their cars, so not sure time of year is an issue, as if it's the right car someone wants they will buy anytime....
I agree with you Andy but there really is some junk that they want millions for . Where KFC does a very good job with the fine detail and history . Also there some warranty with there cars . You could say it’s the easy route .
I do believe that if a Capri has been hacked , chopped & modification have been done . I know in a day I can get mine back to standard even down to my electric ignition.

So it took me almost just over a year to find well the car find me . I remember a black 2.0 JPS and we went to view it in Bournemouth the pictures look really good the mot information was just brakes thin and a few other bits .
So get down there with dad and we both went Christ is this another car ?
It had rust on the roof around the rear hinge also the bottom of the doors were shot . The bloke just said but it just needs a small amount of work I said but the pictures never showed any of this . Yes they were old pictures . :banghead: :banghead:
And I could say so much more .

I don’t think the market is down it’s just being picky with the right cars .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:
andyd wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote: He should sit on the car until the spring (not literally :lol: ).

Andrew.
I agree with you Andy but there really is some junk that they want millions for . Where KFC does a very good job with the fine detail and history . Also there some warranty with there cars . You could say it’s the easy route .
I do believe that if a Capri has been hacked , chopped & modification have been done . I know in a day I can get mine back to standard even down to my electric ignition.

So it took me almost just over a year to find well the car find me . I remember a black 2.0 JPS and we went to view it in Bournemouth the pictures look really good the mot information was just brakes thin and a few other bits .
So get down there with dad and we both went Christ is this another car ?
It had rust on the roof around the rear hinge also the bottom of the doors were shot . The bloke just said but it just needs a small amount of work I said but the pictures never showed any of this . Yes they were old pictures . :banghead: :banghead:
And I could say so much more .

I don’t think the market is down it’s just being picky with the right cars .
Hi JM,
KGF (KFC) did not warranty the car I bought and hardly any others dealers do either.

The 2.8 in Plymouth is a cracking car and no reason it shouldn't be making over £15k imo.
13 previous owners may have a bearing on it, but now restored that wouldn't put me off.
Location maybe an issue but sometimes the best cars are the other side of the country.
Maybe it's the colour :shock: Could be as simple as that....
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes your right on all what your saying as I did see a cracking Capri up near Scotland and the first thing that was said to me was Christ that will have some rust as it rains there all the time , yes sounds mad but people do think like that and another is all that will rust as it’s on the sea .

Also and I do go on about this is pictures how bloody hard is it to take a picture that’s not 40 miles away or is upside down or just one picture . You get 12 free pictures and even in the app you can edit the picture ... then they say study the picture as what you see you get .
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes your right on all what your saying as I did see a cracking Capri up near Scotland and the first thing that was said to me was Christ that will have some rust as it rains there all the time , yes sounds mad but people do think like that and another is all that will rust as it’s on the sea .

Also and I do go on about this is pictures how bloody hard is it to take a picture that’s not 40 miles away or is upside down or just one picture . You get 12 free pictures and even in the app you can edit the picture ... then they say study the picture as what you see you get .
No excuse for bad pictures nowadays.....Lazyness, just like not bothering to wash and hoover the car first :roll:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Look at this i think the DVLA should do something about this as it’s not good as cars are getting stolen more and more when people ( sorry if your a member ) post this up on eBay .
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3509664670

It’s ok for parts but the log book should be burnt .
When I was at Tickover the other week Gus was repairing a Capri what was just the shell . I said Christ that look like it’s along job . He said I strip the whole car down for owner . It was done in a day . Christ that’s quick . Also how easy it to steel a Capri and change them 3 vin numbers .

:banghead: rant over again ...... :sorry:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Look at this i think the DVLA should do something about this as it’s not good as cars are getting stolen more and more when people ( sorry if your a member ) post this up on eBay .

:agree: The logbook shouldn't be available once the car is scrapped.

Trouble is it's down to the registered keeper to send the V5 back to DVLA stating it's scrapped, so if not returned they don't know what state the car is in......Apart from SORN or MOT History checks :? maybe they assume it's still in one piece, or am I missing something :headscratch:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I think the dvla go threw eBay looking for log books as I saw a email link once from the rac saying how it’s becoming a problem of people selling log books with no car . And causing car crime to increase .
But people will sell anything and people will buy anything .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: But people will sell anything and people will buy anything .
I know, I even bought a book about B roads in Enfield..... :lol:

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That was you I went to bid at it went so fast :lol:
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

andyd wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Look at this i think the DVLA should do something about this as it’s not good as cars are getting stolen more and more when people ( sorry if your a member ) post this up on eBay .

:agree: The logbook shouldn't be available once the car is scrapped.

Trouble is it's down to the registered keeper to send the V5 back to DVLA stating it's scrapped, so if not returned they don't know what state the car is in......Apart from SORN or MOT History checks :? maybe they assume it's still in one piece, or am I missing something :headscratch:
Most vehicle re-cyclers today (breaker's yards to most of us) have a facility where you don't let you keep hold of the V5C. If they are reputable (and I think most are since the scams around the recycling industry 10 years back), that log book should not surface. When I scapped a car earlier this year, I was so surprised how professional the whole process is. They take you through what happens both with admin and with the motor and then if undriveable (mine was not driveable), they collect and take all of the admin bits they need.

However, what can happen is that the owner has lost the log book, the car is scrapped, the breaker yard take the vehicle all legitimately and then....da da....the log book turns up at the owners place.

The whole keeper business we have in this country is wide open for abuse. It gives no identity to the owner of the vehicle. On the continent, there are 2 documents - a keeper doc and an owner doc. If it is a new car, the names on both docs are likely to be different as the car probably is owned by a finance company whilst the driver is merely a keeper. On an older car, the data is the same.

We don't have a title / owner document. Therefore, it is assumed that the person with the V5C is the owner - when they might not be. It's process that entices scamming.

And what is worse is that anyone can become the keeper of your car. Imagine the scenario - 3am one morning, you're awoken by the police to state the car you have owned for 5 years is now being treated as a stolen motor and you are suspected of being the thief!

Grim ? I have seen it happen on a marriage break up where the husband (or perhaps, ex husband) had moved out with his nice 12 month old car, to rental property and the vehicle he owned was flagged as stolen because the ex-wife changed the keeper name and then phoned the police once the vehicle details were in her name that her car had been stolen.

It really is a bad old set up we have in this country.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s bad I new it was bad with the whole set up , I did my car traffic training in Felixstowe early 90s and it was on tip offs that we would stop containers and open them and the cars or cut up cars you would find . Was madness . But some postal tricks were done with log books and mot certs was the biggest thing stolen .
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

This looks like a good buy and I remember when it was on Top Gear briefly because the owner cosseted it!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2 ... :rk:1:pf:1
andyd

Post by andyd »

Pas28i wrote:This looks like a good buy and I remember when it was on Top Gear briefly because the owner cosseted it!

Nice car and good price with that mileage.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Pas28i wrote:This looks like a good buy and I remember when it was on Top Gear briefly because the owner cosseted it!

The listing has ended now, sold for £16,500.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I thought that was going to go quick and what a great history ...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I don't see this as a £21495 car because of what it is/isn't :? https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1005821
MOT History showing 15970 (115970) miles and only covering 575 miles since 2006 (all passes).
Going to be around a while I think....
Still around or on the market again?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-T ... rk:11:pf:0

I like this one but the recent respray might be a bit of a worry.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2 ... rk:13:pf:0

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I don't see this as a £21495 car because of what it is/isn't :? https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1005821
MOT History showing 15970 (115970) miles and only covering 575 miles since 2006 (all passes).
Going to be around a while I think....
Still around or on the market again?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-T ... rk:11:pf:0

I like this one but the recent respray might be a bit of a worry.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2 ... rk:13:pf:0

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
Yes I saw the Tickford ad a few days ago. Nice wet bodywork pictures :?

The 4 speed looks nice at the moment, as with everything depends on the quality of the respray etc...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Yes I saw the Tickford ad a few days ago. Nice wet bodywork pictures :?
Sorry if the seller is on here, but when will people learn?
I reckon that most Ebay bidders don't view the car beforehand, therefore, you have to rely on a really good set of photos.
Three more or less identical exterior photos and an out of focus view of the interior is just not good enough, I'm afraid.
andyd wrote:The 4 speed looks nice at the moment, as with everything depends on the quality of the respray etc...
Such a recent respray would concern me, I think. Although the car looks superb at the moment and the forest green over crystal green colour combo is really great.

Andrew.