converted capris

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
rich123
Car(s): triumph stag

converted capris

Post by rich123 »

hi just wanted your opinion on cars converted from say 20. to 3.0 what should I look for to see if its done properly
also values would it still be a good investment as well as a good driver
thanks
richard
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: converted capris

Post by Paul G »

rich123 wrote:hi just wanted your opinion on cars converted from say 20. to 3.0 what should I look for to see if its done properly
also values would it still be a good investment as well as a good driver
thanks
richard
Things to look for are that under the bonnet there is a second strengthener over the strut mounting and triangular strengtheners where the top rear of the inner wings meet the bulkhead. Up under the wing there will be a bracing plate that joins the top of the inner wing (drip rail) to the strut top and lower down the strenghtening plate that goes where the bumpers mount is extended and runs all along the bottom of the wings and goes behind the strut support towers. To the rear of the strut towers there should be a box section also running along the line of the chassis rail all the way back to the toe board.

The 3.0's have a bigger radiator and uprated brakes - wide 9" drums at the back and thicker discs with model - unique struts. This can be got round by widening or fitting widened calipers to the 2.0 struts and using 2.8 vented discs. If you're using a 1.6 as a base it will also need an upgraded servo.

All original 3.0's had a 4 speed gearbox and a higher axle ratio than a 2 litre and the S models had uprated suspension with gas shockers.

Whilst a well done copy should drive as well as an original one and still be a good investment ( as is any Capri), a copy will never be worth as much as an original no matter how well done.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
From the cars I've seen, hardly any have been converted properly in the way Paul describes. Most have simply had the bigger engine plonked in.
In saying that, if bought right (that is, cheaply) a converted car could provide all the thrills of a genuine 3.0 at a fraction of the price. Obviously it won't gain in value at the same rate as a genuine car, as a lot of buyers are only interested in original specification cars.

Andrew.
rich123

Post by rich123 »

thanks paul g Andrew will take someone who knows capris better with I think
cheers
richard
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

There is also the insurance aspect to consider, modified vehicles tend to cost more

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
rich123

Post by rich123 »

so how much would a conversion cost roughly to a basic 3.0 or v8 from a 2.0 or 16 providing you can get the parts
richard
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Very difficult to give a cost as there are so many variables to consider for example, how much of the conversion you can do yourself and how much of it will need to be done by a pro etc

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
rich123

Post by rich123 »

ok are the parts for the conversion easy to get hold of its just that I know for the stag theres many breakers and suppliers it realy not been any problem not to sure about capri yet until I get properly into it if you know what I mean
richard
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

rich123 wrote: are the parts for the conversion easy to get hold
Hi,
I'm not sure about the specific parts for an engine conversion, although there are dedicated Capri parts suppliers that may be able to help.

Andrew.
Cossie_85
Car(s): Ford Capri YBP Cosworth

Post by Cossie_85 »

Hi

Converted from a 2.8 to Cosworth Power, the initial bill came to over £5k, this was a few years ago now. Not a simple lift and shift but in my opinion worthwhile (didn't have much choice after the 2.8 blew)

Hope that gives you a rough indication of price for a non standard Capri engine should you be interested.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

You might get more info if you put these questions in the Questions and Answers section.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

A reasonable 2.8i shouldn't really cost you that much more than say a slightly tidier 2 litre S.

I love the torque and smoothness of my 2.8i but am not sure if I would go to huge lengths or spend serious amounts of money to convert a 4 cylinder Capri into one.

If you specifically want to do a conversion on a 4 cylinder shell it could be worth looking at a ST170 Focus engine. Its a reasonably popular conversion as there are plenty of parts around to convert that engine to rwd configuration and it will provide a bit more power than a Cologne 2.8 for less weight.

Otherwise it may make financial sense to look at a V8. A well executed V8 conversion would cost around the same to convert as a V6 but the end result would be more valuable. Anyone interested in buying a V8 Capri (unless its an extraordinarily rare import) will understand it is a conversion so wont be particularly bothered if the V5 shows the shell started life as a 3 litre or a 1.3 car so long as it has the strengthening sections in the inner wings etc.

Ultimately, as many people on here will affirm though, it's very much your car and the most important thing is to end up with something that you want to build and own rather than a compromise.