Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Macleod
Car(s): Capri 280
Cortina Mk3
Sierra XR4Ti

280 - To sell or keep?!?

Post by Macleod »

Help please.

I have a 280 that has been in my possesion for around 7-8 years. In that time it has been dry stored and I have only done around 300 miles.

I love the capris, especially the 280 but wonder if now is the time to part with it? Trying to decide wheter to keep it stored and forget about it for another few years or turn it over to someone else to enjoy?

Dont know their current worth?

Although it is nice to know I have it unfortunately I just dont use it. Its not the cleanest 280 going but it has a great interior and drives nice and tight. I'm going to get it out of storage at the weekend and give it the once over, get some fresh pics also.

Your advice would be appriciated...

Basic info - body work not great, needs rear arches done. Strut top on one side showing corrosion but passes MOT. 108K miles. Starts runs and drives. Booked in for MOT.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 280 - To sell or keep?!?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The car looks like a great example from the photo. Personally, I wouldn't sell it, but it depends on how much you get out of owning the car. That advice is not much help to you, I know!
Good luck with the sale if you do decide to sell it.

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Capri values are buoyant and 280s are top of the pile. The only Capris which exceed it in present value are the very rare specials such as the Tickford, Zackspeed, 3100 etc.

I was looking at a 280 on Ebay recently which was up for £ 14k, lower mileage than yours but the paintwork looked duller and had rot in the front edge of the bonnet.

A tidy 280 is worth a premium over an equivalent condition late 2.8i Special. The only differences of the Brooklands green colour, 15" wheels and full leather interior is seen as making a lot of difference.

A really, really scruffy 280 with underbody rust as well as rust damage to what looked like almost every panel changed hands for a bit over £ 8 k a couple of weeks ago on Ebay.

There is a dedicated 280 forum/ site that may be worth you looking at.
Macleod
Cortina Mk3
Sierra XR4Ti

Post by Macleod »

Thanks for your help and advice guys. Good to see the Capri community is still bouyant and freindly.

Couldnt find the dedicated 280 site?

My initial plan is to pull the cover off and dust it down, check it over then try it on Ebay. Looking at possibly going for a bike engined kit car for a change of scene!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
J
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Macleod wrote:Thanks for your help and advice guys. Good to see the Capri community is still bouyant and freindly.

Couldnt find the dedicated 280 site?

My initial plan is to pull the cover off and dust it down, check it over then try it on Ebay. Looking at possibly going for a bike engined kit car for a change of scene!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
J
Probably means this one http://www.brooklands280.com/home.html

:goodluck: with :ebay: Put a reserve on it though....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Probably means this one
Hi,
I don't think so. There is a dedicated 280 register website advertised every month in the club magazine.
http://capri280register.110mb.com/capri280register.htm
Although it is still advertised, it doesn't appear to be active.

Helpfully, there is also an email address and mobile contact number to use instead. Contact Mark Smith on:

07860 568188 or 0161 222 6301

[email protected]

Andrew.
B7ADA
Car(s): 1979 Mk 3 T Reg Gold Capri

Post by B7ADA »

Have any idea how much you are looking for ?
Kind regards
Adam
Macleod
Cortina Mk3
Sierra XR4Ti

Post by Macleod »

Thank you to everyone who offered adivice on this.

The car is no longer available.

cheers