3.0s. On eBay

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: 3.0s. On eBay

Post by andyd »

Ad edited to inform mileage drop of around 15000 miles 2009/2010, possibly speedo change (?) So car has done around 83K.

That could affect the bidding quite a bit.....
Cockneyreject
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0s
Classic mini Paul smith edition

Post by Cockneyreject »

Hi all re orange 3.0s.
Ok I have viewed car,as most have stated it is a resell,that's clear.
The doors however are not mismatched,passenger side has been delocked that's all.
Nearly all the other points,Boot light,opening rear quarters,seatbelt mounts,I feel are quite trivial,admittedly it is not a genuine 3.0s(except it is on v5).so how much does this actually matter,OK,from my point of view and that's all it is,not much,so many capris are hybrids these days,how many 3.0s have gearbox,suspension from 2.8s,or brakes from volvos/princesses.cosworth engines,etc
,the only niggle I suppose is the transfer of the vin,but this was done quite commonly years back,
and the suspension strengthening?
Original overengineering?? I know of v8 comversions on non v6 shells that never had that done to no adverse effect.ideally yes I would rather a mint straight car,but on viewing said orange one is a peach( not quite as it seems ha,unintentional gag that)
And personally I like it,tho not at that price,
I'm not wanting to cause offence to people who have far more knowledge than me in these matters.but isn't it better to have another one back on the road and loved. :drive:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Cockneyreject wrote:Hi all re orange 3.0s.
Ok I have viewed car,as most have stated it is a resell,that's clear.
The doors however are not mismatched,passenger side has been delocked that's all.
Nearly all the other points,Boot light,opening rear quarters,seatbelt mounts,I feel are quite trivial,admittedly it is not a genuine 3.0s(except it is on v5).so how much does this actually matter,OK,from my point of view and that's all it is,not much,so many capris are hybrids these days,how many 3.0s have gearbox,suspension from 2.8s,or brakes from volvos/princesses.cosworth engines,etc
,the only niggle I suppose is the transfer of the vin,but this was done quite commonly years back,
and the suspension strengthening?
Original overengineering?? I know of v8 comversions on non v6 shells that never had that done to no adverse effect.ideally yes I would rather a mint straight car,but on viewing said orange one is a peach( not quite as it seems ha,unintentional gag that)
And personally I like it,tho not at that price,
I'm not wanting to cause offence to people who have far more knowledge than me in these matters.but isn't it better to have another one back on the road and loved. :drive:
:agree: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that one is 11/10 on looks. I'd be proud to own it but at the right price as you say. What you say about most of the others is also spot on - originality could be said to end at the first service when NGK plugs, a Fram air filter and Coopers oil filter were fitted.

If I owned it though I would want the strenghtening fitted as Ford designed V6's to be fitted with it. Ford, of all manufacturers, would not spend a penny more on manufacturing costs than they thought they could possibly get away with and pressing the strengthening panels and fitting them would have cost quite a bit per unit manufactured over the production life time of the 3 marks of Capris. They really would know what they were doing far more even than the best experts on these forums.

One other little thing I would comment on is that separate door locks were not fitted to any Capri until mid 84 when the Laser and 2.8i Special came out. No 3.0S would have left the factory with them, nor with the boot light. The opening rear windows were available as an option so they are OK, as were rear seat belts.

Here is a link to a 1981 Capri brochure, borrowed from and thanks to Capri Power

http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index ... -mk3-1981/

If you scroll through it it will give you all the specs and option lists for the 81 models. My 3.0S is also a Feburary 1981.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That is nice!

Andrew.