3.0s. On eBay

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: 3.0s. On eBay

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Don't want to pee on anyone's parade but its not an original 3.0 S & I don't think its even be a 3.0 Shell.

Looks a nice car but caveat emptor & all that
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Lord Flasheart wrote:Don't want to pee on anyone's parade but its not an original 3.0 S
Hi,
Do you know of this car then? If it isn't a genuine 3.0S, that's a real shame as it definitely looks the part.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Lord Flasheart wrote:Don't want to pee on anyone's parade but its not an original 3.0 S
Hi,
Do you know of this car then? If it isn't a genuine 3.0S, that's a real shame as it definitely looks the part.

Andrew.
Worth the money for the standard of it (In the pics anyway) :lol:
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

It is a really nice looking car & probably worth a good few £££

Have a look on at the photo's showing inside the boot, it has an interior boot light, 3.0 S's didn't have a boot light.

Have a look at the photo's under the bonnet, there are no strengthening sections in the corners or additional plates around the strut tops that are on 3.0 shells.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It's certainly a lovely looking car but Gary (Lord Flasheart) is right in saying that it's not a 3.0S shell. He should know - he owns and rebuilt the cobalt blue 3.0 Ghia that was on the meglieurs stand at the Classic Car Show and featured several times in CCi magazine.

As far as I can see it doesn't have the strut top reinforcements or triangular corner braces that a 6 cyl would have and something tells me that is a 2 litre servo as well. Later 3 litres did have the small header tank radiators but the panel in front of it is for a big header example.

Inside, the dash and glove box, as well as the boot sides, were grey and look to have been sprayed black and as said elsewhere need a bit more to tidy them up. 3.0S dashes were black or brown, not grey. The front door cards are wrong as well, just looked at mine of the same year to check.

I have a feeling that this car was advertised by a different seller about 6 months ago or so when it had a later S striped interior and it was around £12K then. I just seem to remember the orange rocker covers and the overspray on the washer jets. It also has pattern wings.

Whilst trying not to knock this car surely an S for £15K would need to be right. This still is a georgeous car and will make someone very proud to own it but if I was fitting a 3 litre to a 4 cylinder shell I would a) brace it properly and b) tell the next owner the facts about what had been done to it.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:
Whilst trying not to knock this car surely an S for £15K would need to be right. This still is a georgeous car and will make someone very proud to own it but if I was fitting a 3 litre to a 4 cylinder shell I would a) brace it properly and b) tell the next owner the facts about what had been done to it.
:agree: And surely the current dealer should know his onions (so to speak) :headscratch:

Or
Is it a case of :spank: :whistle:
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

Found this 3.0S on autotrader that looks good and original, just shy of £15k

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3103137830
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Pas28i wrote:Found this 3.0S on autotrader that looks good and original, just shy of £15k

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 3103137830
That looks more the ticket! Just needs the engine bay detailing to make nice.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I was waiting to see what your thoughts were of the orange 3.0s as I would never have noticed those tiny details but if it's not genuine I can cross it off the list!

The black one looks very clean though so will add that to the list instead!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: The black one looks very clean though so will add that to the list instead!
Are you considering adding it to your fleet of Capris? :D

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Will post more info later this morning, been in e-mail contact with the dealer ;)
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

I thought it only fair to e-mail the dealer as they seem a genuine company, with the concerns raised so that they may have some redress with the seller. Sent him a few photo's & a link to the Black one on auto trader, strangely they both came from the same sale & the seller being a film company.

Have had very positive responses back & the listing has now been updated http://www.1stchoicecars.uk.com/classic ... -a-recent/

The company is exploring is history again with Ford heritage, its clear on Experian & V5 says 3.0S

Great looking car but up to any potential buyer to verify the history, my personal guess is it was re-shelled (as many have been in innocence or ignorance) back in the day. As I said to the dealer, its not nice for anyone to be misled, including them.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Lord Flasheart wrote:I thought it only fair to e-mail the dealer as they seem a genuine company, with the concerns raised so that they may have some redress with the seller. Sent him a few photo's & a link to the Black one on auto trader, strangely they both came from the same sale & the seller being a film company.

Have had very positive responses back & the listing has now been updated http://www.1stchoicecars.uk.com/classic ... -a-recent/

The company is exploring is history again with Ford heritage, its clear on Experian & V5 says 3.0S

Great looking car but up to any potential buyer to verify the history, my personal guess is it was re-shelled (as many have been in innocence or ignorance) back in the day. As I said to the dealer, its not nice for anyone to be misled, including them.
Well done, will await the outcome.
I would have been tempted if I was in the market for a 3.0S (I mean if I had room for one) :lol:

Did a similar thing recently with an auction company over incorrect mileage on a 280 I owned in 2008.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Lord Flasheart wrote:I thought it only fair to e-mail the dealer as they seem a genuine company, with the concerns raised so that they may have some redress with the seller. Sent him a few photo's & a link to the Black one on auto trader, strangely they both came from the same sale & the seller being a film company.

Well done Gary and fair play to the dealer for altering his website listing. Dealers who deal with all makes can't know everything about every single model of car on the roads and it's wrong to expect them to. This company seem reputable though and all credit to them for taking your email on board. However, chasing a paper trail will not show up a reshell if it hasn't been recorded; it will need careful examination of the floor area around the vin number to see if it's been altered or cut out. Contacting previous owners may be the best way but even they may not know if it was done between registered keepers in the trade.

That said, the more I look at the ad the more I like the car and if someone was to get the strengthening done they would have a really nice Capri. Not a small job though as the wings would have to come off to do it properly.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote: The black one looks very clean though so will add that to the list instead!
Are you considering adding it to your fleet of Capris? :D

Andrew.
Yes indeed! I need some V6 power in my life!! :D
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:I need some V6 power in my life!! :D
Must have been that convoy with John that did it....... :lol:

Andrew.
Laser
Car(s): Daily Driver 1.6 Laser (247,00miles)
or 2.0S when I can find her key's !

Post by Laser »

Really pleased to hear about the response from the vendor over this unfortunate situation .
they obviously stand to take a hit on thier expected profit
but are prepared to protect their reputation over greed .
which is honourable.
Nicely played Flash old bean !
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
It looks as though the seller is adamant that this is a genuine 3.0S, as they now state in the listing:
"EXPERIAN AND HPI BOTH HAVE IT AS 3.0S AND THE V5 CLEARLY STATES 3.0S .
AT THIS STAGE WE SUGGEST ANY POTENTIAL INTERSTED PARTIES MAKE THERE OWN DECISIONS UPON VIEWING ..
WE WILL ADD A COPY OF A EXPERIAN REPORT FROM 2010 WHICH CLEARLY STATES 3.0S AND A UPDATED HPI FROM NOW ".

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi All,
It looks as though the seller is adamant that this is a genuine 3.0S, as they now state in the listing:
"EXPERIAN AND HPI BOTH HAVE IT AS 3.0S AND THE V5 CLEARLY STATES 3.0S .
AT THIS STAGE WE SUGGEST ANY POTENTIAL INTERSTED PARTIES MAKE THERE OWN DECISIONS UPON VIEWING ..
WE WILL ADD A COPY OF A EXPERIAN REPORT FROM 2010 WHICH CLEARLY STATES 3.0S AND A UPDATED HPI FROM NOW ".

Andrew.
Paperwork could state that the moon is made of cream cheese but the facts are that that isn't fitted with the usual 3 litre strengthening plus all the other bits noticed by various posters. While the car, or parts of it anyway, started life as a 3.0S, not everyone is honest enough ( or clued up on the legal necessities) to notify DVLA of a shell change. To properly ascertain what it is needs an accredited Capri expert to examine it and possible thorough inspection of the vin number to see if it's been cut out of another shell and welded back into the floor.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely car and probably worth near what they're asking just because of how it's presented, but the facts need ascertaining and the strenghthening at least done.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hey, I'm just reporting the changes to the wording on the listing! :)

The few posts above mine state that the dealer is acting responsibly after being presented with evidence that the car is not as described. Although they do advise caution and suggest that the buyer make their own decisions about the car's authenticity, they still describe the car as a genuine 3.0S.

Andrew.