Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Another Scam?

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Different user name this time :twak:
Hijacked accounts, maybe?

Andrew.
Possibly?
You would think a company as big as Ebay would be able to sort this issue within minutes of it going online :?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Different user name this time :twak:
Hijacked accounts, maybe?

Andrew.
Possibly?
You would think a company as big as Ebay would be able to sort this issue within minutes of it going online :?
Hi Andy,
At first, I thought that accounts were probably created especially for the purpose of scams, most of which probably are. Although that's probably a big give away to both Ebay and potential victims that something is amiss with the listing. I notice with the latest scam listing, kindly linked to by GG, that the seller has been a member on Ebay since August 2014. Would the scammers really plan that far in advance? I suspect not, and that leads me to the conclusion that they could be hacking unused accounts to help disguise the identity of the fraudsters.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Andrew,
Someone tried selling a Speedboat through my Son's Ebay account a couple of years ago.

A call/email to Ebay and it was removed......Worth keeping an eye on accounts especially if not used often.
Green-Ghia
Car(s): 1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green

Post by Green-Ghia »

Hi Andrew,

As you say it certainly makes you think doesn't it?

Hi Andy, i hadn't actually thought of hijacked accounts and thats positively shocking about the Speedboat! Im off to check my eBay account :-)

*oh, i cant recall seeing that Moggy Minor in my Shed before that i have listed* :tongue:

Kind Regards

GG
1979 Ford Capri MKIII 2.0 Ghia - Apollo Green / Chocolate Brown Verona Trim
Green-Ghia

Post by Green-Ghia »

Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not sure how these scam ads work, surely if paypal is involved, the buyer is always protected?
Green-Ghia

Post by Green-Ghia »

Arya2.0S wrote:Not sure how these scam ads work, surely if paypal is involved, the buyer is always protected?
If invoiced and payed through paypal id assume so yes (you'd hope so anyway) but i cant see the seller agreeing to anything to do with paypal - it will be a bank transfer job he or she will be after then mysteriously disappear with your hard earned! Cash is out as well as that would involve meeting in person and viewing the car that never was :-)
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Green-Ghia wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Not sure how these scam ads work, surely if paypal is involved, the buyer is always protected?
If invoiced and payed through paypal id assume so yes (you'd hope so anyway) but i cant see the seller agreeing to anything to do with paypal - it will be a bank transfer job he or she will be after then mysteriously disappear with your hard earned! Cash is out as well as that would involve meeting in person and viewing the car that never was :-)

Well...TBH then, and i know this might sound controversial and im not siding with the scammers here and they deserve the be shut down and pissed on and all that nasty stuff but, honestly if you fall for that you kinda deserve it.....well maybe "deserve" is the wrong choice of words but i cant say im very sympathetic for the fools who do fall for it.

I mean if you hand over that much cash without seeing ANYONE in person and forego using any sort of safe and trustworthy and secure online service like PayPal you are kinda asking to get ripped off just a tad now arent you?

I mean come on! Is it really that hard to use a couple of brain cells when thousands upon thousands of pounds are involved?

Unless im being severely ignorant of something and missing some variables entirely in which case my apologies but i dont think i am?