wanted Capri 2.8 i

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
cliff wilkins
Car(s): Looking for capri

wanted Capri 2.8 i

Post by cliff wilkins »

Hi all,
As the title says l am looking for a nice rust free mechanically sound 2.8 .
I recently went to the Enfield pagent to the Capri stand and they had a good few 2.8 there on show all in the conduction I am seeking .Had a nice long chat with the owners but none were for sale and they did not know any that are at the moment phone numbers exchanged the nice owners said they would keep there ears out for one for me.
I have seen the ones for sale on the usual places eBay car and classic piston heads and the likes.
I live in the south east. There are a couple of cars but way to far to look at.
Sorry to waffle.
So wanted a car that's ready to go no issues rust free mechanically sound original as possible 4 speed or 5 budget 7 to 8 k for right car cash waiting.
Many thanks for looking
Cheers Cliff.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: wanted Capri 2.8 i

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Cliff,
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

Sorry I can't help with the search, but it makes a refreshing change to see a buyer with a realistic budget available.
Finding a 2.8 in the condition you're after could take some time, and as you're already no doubt aware, mileage-limiting your search will undoubtedly mean that you will miss out on some of the good cars.

I hope you find the car of your dreams (a Capri) soon,

All the best,
Andrew.
cliff wilkins

Post by cliff wilkins »

Hi Andrew.
Many thanks for the welcome.

Yes I have put up a decent budget as I don't want a car that needs any major work don't mind a little fetterling or cleaning as a car valeter and detailer its second nature.

I do have a couple of 2.8s that fit the bill from dealers ones 40 miles the other 80 miles but both at almost 10 k which is to much for me and the guys I spoke to agreed they were over priced as one will need a little spending on it to return how it should be I am sure you know the ones.
I spoke to one dealer and there is no movement at all on the price advertised which I would want a reduction especially as it needs a few things putting back to original.

Hopefully one will turn up.
Cheers Cliff.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hello Cliff,
Welcome aboard :D
Good luck with your search as Andrew said it's a realistic budget :applaud: and I know one of the Cars you described (Blue 1 owner...)?
As you said at that money you don't want to spend more putting it back to Standard.

ATB

Andy
cliff wilkins

Post by cliff wilkins »

Cheers Andy.
Yeah is the blue one in Essex .Looks like what I am after but without all go faster bits and bobs added.
It will need a few quid altering things back to a more tasteful spec.
But not a penny off from the stealer sorry dealer i wont be taking things to a viewing. No disrespect to anyone that has a top capri this ones overpriced.
Anyway out of my top budget.
The other ones the Black Hampshire car but still over my budget but maybe I need to see if any negotiation's could be done.
But obviously if a right car comes up for less all good as said
I have gone with my Max budget here for the right car.

Cliff.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Cliff,
The Blue Car has been there for nearly 12 months to my Knowledge and was at £10995 until recently.
I enquired last Summer but as you say it's got too many 'Bits' added.
The Black one has been there for a Couple of Months too but does look nice, although you can see some Rust Bubbles on the top
of NSF Wing at the shut line with the Bonnet....worth a look/offer??
They aren't getting cheaper but that doesn't mean they should be overpriced if not correct either,too many cars sitting around IMO

Leaving soon to drool over some at Classic Ford tomorrow :lol:

Andy
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Cliff,
:welcome: to the forum.... Good luck with your search. The only advise I can give, is buy the best example you can get, for your realistic budget. There are cars out there that are in good condition and have been looked after. You just have to be patient and wait for them to turn up.

All the best and keep us posted
Neil
cliff wilkins

Post by cliff wilkins »

Thanks Neil

I will do my best .

Looks like a good place to start here for the right car and advice .

Any other sites I could try or will every thing Capri end up here eventually.

In the mean time if anyone hears of a good one let me know.

Many thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

cliff wilkins wrote:In the mean time if anyone hears of a good one let me know.
Hi Cliff,
No worries, we're only too happy to help on this forum! We'll post details here as soon as a suitable car is advertised.

Good luck with the search, I hope you find one soon.
Andrew.
cliff wilkins

Post by cliff wilkins »

Cheers Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Cliff,
As Andrew said a lot of Cars will be a good distance away....
So you either take a chance by asking lots of questions and ask for more pictures if possible so you aren't buying
completely blind and get it Delivered.
I have done this a few times albeit from dealers and I have been happy, although you always find something that
wasn't described 100%......
or wait for something closer to home :)

Will keep an eye out.....you wouldn't get mine for £10,000 either sorry :lol:

Andy
pauliil1948
Donator
Donator
Car(s): D reg 280 , various others

Post by pauliil1948 »

andyd

Post by andyd »

This one belongs to Dangermouse on here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2- ... 2800c8d87d well within your Budget

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=48050

Or a nice alternative??? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-30 ... 20fcf0c427

Also Kings Lynn Auction on June 13th a couple of 2.8s here http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/user/ccts1573/21/

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Also Kings Lynn Auction on June 13th
Hi,
There's always fantastic cars at that Kings Lynn auction. If I ever go, I'll have to make sure that I leave my wallet at home. I give in easily to temptation..........

Looking through the catalogue, some of the estimates seem a little low to me. In my opinion, the estimates of the black and the red 2.8s seem too high for the condition. Still, if they're being sold without reserve it's anyone's guess what the final sale price will be.

All the best,
Andrew.
cliff wilkins

Post by cliff wilkins »

Cheers Andy.
Thanks for the thought.
I did contact danger mouse no current mot flat battery and that unloved engine bay was a non starter for me surely a fresh mot a battery and an engine bay spruce would make it more desirable for a buyer.
As said within budget but no way of getting a car home like that.I wish him luck with the sale.I am sure someone could bring it back to scratch.
With my Max budget I can go up to i am sure something must come along.
Many thanks again Cliff.
Checking all the usual places everyday just a matter if anyone here wants to sell.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

cliff wilkins wrote: I did contact danger mouse no current mot flat battery and that unloved engine bay was a non starter for me surely a fresh mot a battery and an engine bay spruce would make it more desirable for a buyer.
You might be being a little too fussy in your search (no disrespect), as a valeter yourself I'm sure that you could clean up an engine bay. A battery is easy enough to sort and you could probably come to an agreement with the seller as regards to an MOT. If other things have put you off that car then fair enough, but personally I wouldn't let things such as those put you off. Cars over 30 years old which are perfect through and through and not common (if they actually exist at all) and things like a dirty engine bay and a battery can be sorted in no time. You should expect to have to do something to the car perhaps, and to keep doing things to keep it running, just like anything else that's old. Good luck with your search though!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

cliff wilkins wrote: I recently went to the Enfield pagent to the Capri stand and they had a good few 2.8 there on show all in the conduction I am seeking .
It's likely though, that even those owners have a list as long as their arm of jobs which they are wanting to do.
cliff wilkins

Post by cliff wilkins »

Hi
With the budget I have I am sure I must be able to get a decent one.
Yes maybe a little fussy but I can afford to be.
Dangermouses car I enquired about was recommended on here its a lot lowers priced than my budget so don't expect a mint car .
But at least get it a Mot if selling would be so much more desirable.
My point was a potential buyer could not drive it away with no mot
Yes it could be restored paint clean up battery all not a problem.
But as said looking for a car ready to go. :beer:
Cheers Cliff.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Hi Cliff,
I agree an MOT is a must. You want to be satisfied that its in a reasonable roadworthy condition. It also means you'll be able to give it a good test drive before you commit to buying it plus you can get it home under its own steam!
Don't discount this car, see if it would be possible for the seller to put it through an MOT.

All the best
Neil
andyd

Post by andyd »

sheff wrote:Hi Cliff,
I agree an MOT is a must. You want to be satisfied that its in a reasonable roadworthy condition. It also means you'll be able to give it a good test drive before you commit to buying it plus you can get it home under its own steam!
Don't discount this car, see if it would be possible for the seller to put it through an MOT.

All the best
Neil
Must agree 100%
These early Injections are getting rare and should be saved sooner rather than later IMO

I wouldn't buy one without an MOT for that price either

Andy