Budget of £2400

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
boomboom
Car(s): 2.0s

Budget of £2400

Post by boomboom »

HI, I'm looking for a Capri and have a budget of £2400 so what is out there.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Budget of £2400

Post by andyd »

Not alot :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1979-T-Ford-C ... 25a2440d84
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C520856
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C593802

That sort of money isn't a lot for a Capri nowadays, you may be lucky but also expect to do work on anything around this price.

If you can keep saving while looking you should find better, although Fords are not going to be coming down in price anytime soon.
Look on Ebay, Car and Classic, Gumtree, Auto Trader and Pistonheads.

Good Luck

Andy
boomboom

Post by boomboom »

Would I get a 2.8i for this budget if so i would be expecting to do welding and it would not have an MOT?
Tamworthbay
Car(s): Y reg 1.6L in imperial red, ex owner of 3.0s and 2.0 GL in gorgeous Tibetan gold

Post by Tamworthbay »

Any 2.8 at that money will likely need a lot of work. Any MOT will be short and not easily renewed without time or expense. Unless you get lucky, it can still happen.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I agree with the others. You might, if your lucky, get a half decent 4 cylinder car for £2500, but unless you're after a real project car you'll probably have to spend a little more for a V6. I would suggest around £4K minimum.
As has been said, you might get lucky and find a good car for less than that. I certainly hope so.

All the best,
Andrew.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Whatever you end up buying and for whatever price......you will find this forum worth it's weight in gold.
A great eclectic bunch of well informed and experienced Capri lover's, owner's, driver's and restorers....
Good luck bud :welcome:
boomboom

Post by boomboom »

That's nice to hear I have been into American cars for the last 7 years but now im getting a little older im getting more stingy with the petrol of a 7.3L so here I am I have seen a 2.8i with MOT till Jan 16 for £2100 needs a little body work and other silly things so you think I should go for it?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

boomboom wrote: I have seen a 2.8i with MOT till Jan 16 for £2100 needs a little body work and other silly things so you think I should go for it?
Hi,
Is it for sale on the internet? Post a link to it, so we can give you an unbiased opinion.

Andrew.
boomboom

Post by boomboom »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It's no longer available, I assume that it's been sold.
If you want a do-er upper, to me, the maths don't add up. You can spend £2.5K buying that car, and another £5K at least on the bodywork alone, and god knows how much on fixing anything that is wrong with the oily parts. That sort of money buys you a car that's already decent to begin with.
Although it depends what you want from a Capri.

All the best,
Andrew.
colinsw1
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 S
3.0 Ghia
Mk1 1.6 GT
All being restored

Post by colinsw1 »

boomboom wrote:HI, I'm looking for a Capri and have a budget of £2400 so what is out there.
Hello
My really smart, original 1.6 LS is on eBay right now. Great chassis, mechanics and interior. Drives superbly. Full mot. Very honest car with tons of potential.
andyd

Post by andyd »

colinsw1 wrote:
boomboom wrote:HI, I'm looking for a Capri and have a budget of £2400 so what is out there.
Hello
My really smart, original 1.6 LS is on eBay right now. Great chassis, mechanics and interior. Drives superbly. Full mot. Very honest car with tons of potential.
Saw your Ad looks honest enough and a good start on the Capri Ladder http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1984-FORD-CAP ... 1e9d26850e

Good Luck with the Sale

Andy
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
It's no longer available, I assume that it's been sold.
If you want a do-er upper, to me, the maths don't add up. You can spend £2.5K buying that car, and another £5K at least on the bodywork alone, and god knows how much on fixing anything that is wrong with the oily parts. That sort of money buys you a car that's already decent to begin with.
Although it depends what you want from a Capri.

All the best,
Andrew.
I agree with Andrew. Unfortunately if you buy a Capri that needs a lot of bodywork and a good quality coat of paint you'll end up spending more than if you'd bought a good car in the first place. I think there's a few good 2.8's out there ready to drive for around the £6-7K mark and these type of cars probably represent better value for money. And also be prepared to put you hand in your pocket after buying it as there's always something else that you see that you want............. Like a Janspeed :D

All the best
Neil
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator
Car(s): many many capris

Post by elliecharlie2008 »

just to add
if there is people looking for capris drop me a pm/call I find capris for all kinds of budgets some are drive aways some need work that I take on for people don't be put off by the massive quotes people give for restos everything is fixable on the budget most people have and it dosnt cost thousands and thousands of pounds either there capris not Ferraris lol
when I get chance ill post up some pictures of some of the stuff I do they start from bits of mechanical/bodywork to full restos on the spit painted the top color underneath and more or less every panel changed/repaired
at the min in for work are..
3.0s signal orange
3.0s silver
3.0 ghia
3.0s janspeed turbo
recently there was a brooklands and a tickford
along with lasers ls models s models etc

steve
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

I have seen photos of many of the Capris that Steve has restored and have to say the work he does is fantastic and without guys like him and of course Martin from Caprigear I think a lot more Capris would have ended up on the scrapheap. Keeping the Legend Alive is a term that springs to mind...I made it up myself...honest ;)

Cripes if I lived near either of these guys I think I would be divorced by now :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator
Car(s): many many capris

Post by elliecharlie2008 »

cheers nick
ill get a thread up in members cars for all to see
steve
jackrt
Car(s): '05 BMW 330d M Sport, '82 Capri 2.8 Injection

Post by jackrt »

Aii, +1 for Steve, had my 2.8 Injection off him last year. Good honest chap.

I haven't had to do a lot to mine apart from the odd few bits. It's not show car standard but I'm not after that, I'm more interested in driving it :D Seems you can spend however little or however much you want on them, depending what you want out of them!

And I enjoy tatting with it. It's a nice feeling when you fix something or make something better on it. Plus the old man loves being roped into helping out too! ;)

andyd

Post by andyd »

Nice looking Car is it a 4 speed :?: :D

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Yes, nice looking car. What exhausts have you got, Sportex?

I met a chap at the Queen Square meet who also had a car from Steve, seemed happy enough with it. He's also on this forum (can't remember his name though, sorry) and is planning to attend the CCI national next month.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

[quote="Andrew 2.8i"]Hi,
Yes, nice looking car. What exhausts have you got, Sportex?

I would say they are Standard with Chrome Tips :?: