looking for a nice 2.8 injection to buy

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
stevbev
Car(s): 2.8 injection

looking for a nice 2.8 injection to buy

Post by stevbev »

looking for a nice straight 2.8 injection, to keep my rs 2000 company in the garage lol
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: looking for a nice 2.8 injection to buy

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the usual places like Ebay, carandclassic.co.uk, Autotrader and Gumtree?
There are some really nice Injections around at the moment, but it does depend on what your budget is.
If you let us know a benchmark figure lots of people, me included, will post links to nice cars as they appear for sale.
Good luck with your search.
Andrew.
stevbev
Car(s): 2.8 injection

Post by stevbev »

hi thanks for the repl, ive a budget of anywhere from £3500 to £5000 many thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I think it's fair to say that most cars for sale at that price will need some work doing to them.
Here's an indication of the standard of car available within that budget (note: these are not necessarily recommendations):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1985-FORD-CAP ... 35e68bc401
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C591511
I'll keep an eye out and post up any cars I see for sale.
Good luck with your search,
Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Welcome to the Forum,
Can we see some photo's of your RS2000?

I would like a nice MK1 RS2000 or Mexico to keep my Capri 2.8 company :D
Oh yeah and a bigger garage :?

All the best
Neil
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Hi Mate,
As Andrew said check those sites daily, you should get a fairly straight car for £5k any less will probably need work,
but the days of cheap Good Fords are gone....

A couple of other Members are looking for 2.8's too so be quick :D

Post a pic of your RS :D

ATB
Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Yes, RS2000 photos would be fantastic, please! :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
If you can stretch your budget a little, how about these ?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/f ... ?logcode=p
It's been for sale for a while, so there will be room for negotiation on the price. Or there's this car:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C587563
Again, over your budget but if it's fairly local to you there's no harm in going to inspect it.
Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
It's been for sale for a while, so there will be room for negotiation on the price. Or there's this car:
Again, over your budget but if it's fairly local to you there's no harm in going to inspect it.
Andrew.
The Silver car is in Edinburgh. Lez1962 was going to view it some weeks ago but he never said for definite.
It has just finished on Ebay £4600 reserve not met and it was up for £7500 a month or so ago..

The Red Car andya viewed recently but didn't Buy It...
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

andyd wrote:
peers.dupp wrote:Hi,
Andrew.
The Silver car is in Edinburgh. Lez1962 was going to view it some weeks ago but he never said for definite.
It has just finished on Ebay £4600 reserve not met and it was up for £7500 a month or so ago..

The Red Car andya viewed recently but didn't Buy It...
The red car on Car and Classic looks very tidy and comes with a Janspeed exhaust, which will save you a fortune later on. To me £7500 sounds a good price all things considered, so it would be interesting to hear what andya thought about it.

Neil
andyd

Post by andyd »

Here was andya comment on the car;

[quote][/quote]Well, I went, I saw, and I'm undecided, the owner is a very nice bloke, I think he's priced it at what he thinks is reasonable, and when I started pointing out bits he was listening, and coming up with the right answers, needless to say it's not exactly what I wanted, but then again it's 30 years old'ish.

It's had some work done in the past, all receipted, outer sills, a wheel arch, lower rear quarters and strut top reinforcemant plates, along with a respray, all done to a goodish standard, pity they plug welded the tops in place rather than spotting them in, and there's some rust on the offside wing cap, which you can feel below, it isn't through yet, but has blistered the paint, and there's some around the side of the headlight bowl on the same wing, then there's a bit of light lifting at the wheel arch edges, not a great amount, but once you get the paint off you know it will be more, and above the rear of the sill on the drivers side.

The seller has acknowledged the faults, and the car isn't badly presented, I left it as I'd have a think and call him back, I just have to make my mind up as to whether I want another one that needs work (although it's very minor compared to my Mk1), the MOT's up in a couple of months on it as well, not the best selling point in the world, so I'll give it a mull over tonight, but as presentable as the car is I know the small bits would niggle me and it would be headed in for a new wing and paint as soon as it landed here, and up goes the bill again lol.
sheff
Donator
Donator

Post by sheff »

Thanks for posting that Andy.

Sounds like its not as perfect as the photo's lead me to believe. Further proof that you can't judge a car properly until its in front of you.

Needless to say probably worth an offer based on the car needing a bit of bodywork doing and the risk of what the MOT will show up in a few month's.

Cheers
Neil
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I think it's fair to say that Andy A has got very strict criteria for his car selection process. That's fair enough, but what's not right for Andy, might be somebody else's perfect car. This car is, dare I say, a little overpriced at the advertised price, but with a bit of negotiation it will be decent value for money when compared to what else is around at the moment. It's been for sale for a while now, and I'm sure the seller must be beginning to realise that he's not going to get £7K for it, or it would have sold by now. That's my view, but I should point out that I haven't actually viewed the car. Also, if the OP is not familiar with the Capri "scene" he should view as many cars as possible to get a feel for what's good and what is not so good.
Andrew.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Welcome to the forum, and I congratulate you on your choice of model naturally. Good luck in your search.

It seems that the market has changed even in the 12 months or so since I bought mine. I took the plunge when I did because I was concerned how much prices were going up and how much they had risen even in the year or so since I had last had a look. I agree that with a £3,500-£5,000 budget, a 2.8 is almost certain to need work. But that is no bad thing, provided that you understand where the problem areas can be, what needs doing, what it will cost etc. You seem familiar with Fords so that should not present a problem. I wanted a car needing work because I feared buying a pricier one only to find hidden problems, and I found mine for under £4,000. As it turned out, it was an excellent car. Bought it from a guy on a farm. I have ended up doing more than was needed because once I did essential work, I wanted to make it better and better. Apart from some mechanical bits that could not have waited, I could have left the rest quite a lot longer. Good cars at the right price are out there, you just do not know how long you might have to wait before they show up.

Personally, I would expect to only have to do light restoration on a £7,000+ car. Andya's thorough description of the red car suggests to me that it is too much money on the ticket. It's not all about making/not losing money on a car, but if you're going to pay that much for a car and it needs another grand or 2 throwing at it, you end up significantly out of pocket. Then you may as well have bought a 4 grand car and spent a couple on it, to end up with a car you know all over and not owing you a wedge more than you could get on an insurance claim or sale. Obviously, if you own a car for a long time there may well come a time when the spend eventually overtakes the market value, but by then it's part of you and you're keeping it.

As we head into Spring, there may well be a few more appearing on the market. When I was looking last March/April, there were far more at the affordable end than there were by the summer. I guess in the summer people are driving their cars rather than selling, and autumn/winter is not a good time to sell cars like these, so there might be a greater variety in coming weeks.

I too would love to see some pics of the RS! Keep us updated on your search. I'm sure everyone would be glad to look at any adverts you might post up and share our views.

Mike
andyd

Post by andyd »

Hi Andrew and Mike
I agree 100% with your comments there.

Sellers have to be Realistic with Pricing especially if the car has little MOT left on it.I personally wouldn't buy a car with less than 9 months MOT.

Nearly all of these Cars are 30 years old too, so are not going to be perfect. If a car has been Restored the only person who knows the Quality of the work is the person that did it. No one knows if corners were cut, including the present keeper who will have paid good money but maybe not got the standard of workmanship expected?
A lot of Sellers will say "Car Restored 2 years ago, but has a few Rust Bubbles... To me then that was a poor Repair and the Car will get steadily worse, therefore the prospective buyer would be right to walk away or make a sensible offer if it was 'Overpriced'

Original Cars will have the 'Patina' that you can either live with or not.

My car wasn't cheap and to put money into it I probably wouldn't see back for some time at least would be wrong,
but I have an Agreed Value for what it cost me :)
Last edited by andyd on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Found this http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... al/3803058 probably the sort of condition to expect at £5k.

Where about's are you out of Interest?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Alternatively, stretch the budget a little and get what looks to be pretty solid for £8k?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2- ... 43d66b4b3d

There are a couple of others at the moment on ol' :ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-2- ... 3cf5282f3a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-FORD-CAP ... 3cf54a0b34
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:A couple of other Members are looking for 2.8's too so be quick :D
Hi,
Which members are we still finding cars for? I've lost track! I assume Andy A is still looking for a decent V6, but is Les still after a 2.8 or 280? There's been a good few for sale on Ebay recently.
Andrew.