Ford Capri 2.0S 1984 B Reg 1800 Miles!!

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Ford Capri 2.0S 1984 B Reg 1800 Miles!!

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote:It's a funny post that Mike :) The lack of a price always confuses me when looking at ads on here for parts/cars. Surely a seller must have some idea what they want. It must put a lot of people off if they've got to sit and dream up an offer.
Hi,
The seller mentioned, albeit on another thread, that he was expecting between £10,000 and £12,000.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=47046

Andrew
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Hi Andrew,

You're quite right. Thanks for reminding. I did see that post. I took it all in chronological order. As it was posted in a different section in a different context (asking for opinions on value rather than selling) some 3 days before this 'up for sale' post, and this advert says 'open to offers', that did not give the impression to me of being the asking/sale price. Particularly as I posted here the other day suggesting an indication of an asking price would be an idea and nothing has been forthcoming.

As Glyn advised, I really should just carry on and not worry about it. It's not my car, and it's not me kind of trying to sell it but not quite following through, so I really should mind my own business! :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mike,

You could well be correct. We'll just have to wait for the seller to confirm the asking price.
MS Injection wrote:so I really should mind my own business! :)
Well, I can't help interfering in other peoples' business!

Andrew.
Turnover
Car(s): Capri 3.0s

Post by Turnover »

Can't see the problem really ,get a contact number from the seller arrange to view,get a price before you leave if your interested travel if not stay at home,as for pictures we all know they hide a multitude of sins as in half the cars for sale ,we've all looked a pics but in the flesh it looks completely different
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

Turnover wrote:Can't see the problem really ,get a contact number from the seller arrange to view,get a price before you leave if your interested travel if not stay at home,as for pictures we all know they hide a multitude of sins as in half the cars for sale ,we've all looked a pics but in the flesh it looks completely different
Vive la difference then I guess. I agree pictures hide a multitude of sins but no pictures hide absolutely everything. You did that and saw it but I really don't think most buyers work that way. I don't think most potential buyers of a car expect to have to ask for a contact number. Or a price. Or have to guess what it looks like before deciding whether it is worth the 5 hour round trip. And I for one would not know if I am interested by price alone (see stupid priced couple of 2.8i cars that have been sale for half a year). Being mindful of my attempt to agree with Glyn to forget it, I will simply repeat that trying to sell a Capri on a Capri forum without a price or an initial impression of what it looks like makes no sense.
Last edited by MS Injection on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:Well, I can't help interfering in other peoples' business!

Andrew.
It seems I can't help it either.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:I will simply repeat that trying to sell a Capri on a Capri forum without a price or an initial impression of what it looks like makes no sense.
Hi,

I have to agree with Mike on this subject. With respect to the seller, if you're selling a car at the top end of the market you have to at least make an effort by advertising and that will, hopefully, entice the buyers.
For example, look at the effort Dr Brooklands puts into taking many photographs and writing a detailed description of his cars for sale. That is what is required to grab the attention of potential buyers.
As somebody suggested in a previous thread, this car will probably appeal more to a classic car collector or speculator than a Capri nut. If the car is only advertised on a Capri website with no photos, how is this car going to be spotted by the buyers who may not specifically want a Capri?
Sure, we can e-mail the seller and he will probably send us some photos, but without some photos in the advert in the first place, who is going to make the effort?

Across the various sales websites, I've just counted 25 Capris of all descriptions advertised at over £10K. That's a lot of cars competing for, probably, a handful of potential buyers who are willing to spend that sort of money on a classic car on any given day.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

If you can't guarantee the mileage is genuine then you have a Capri with over 100k on the clock as most people will see it :cry: and there are plenty of them about.

If you don't want the hassle sell it to a dealer and let them deal with it....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:If you can't guarantee the mileage is genuine then you have a Capri with over 100k on the clock as most people will see it :cry: and there are plenty of them about.
Hi,
As I understand it there is only one stamp in the service book and "a few bits of paperwork in the car".

The seller describes the car as mint, Turnover claims it "needs some money chucking at it".

I think that most people have already made up their own minds about this one.

I just can't see that a tenant renting a flat, leaving it in a state and suddenly disappearing, would be the sort of person to store and meticulously care for a Capri from new.

Could the tenant still claim the car back at a later date? I await an answer from our own forum legal eagle, Mike.....

It's a disappointment as I would really have liked this to be a genuine museum quality find.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

As the old saying;
" If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is "
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Don't worry about it.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Terra-Kotta wrote:Don't worry about it.
Hi,

That's good advice. From now on, I won't worry, I'll be happy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Not even a proper S anyway. It's a 5 speed.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator

Post by MS Injection »

peers.dupp wrote:Could the tenant still claim the car back at a later date? I await an answer from our own forum legal eagle, Mike.....

Andrew.
English law is clear in one respect. Being in possession of something is akin to being the legal owner of it. The person presently in possession has the best claim to ownership on the face of it. However, if somebody else is able to demonstrate a better claim to possession of it, they can sue for its return.

With land, if you openly possess it unchallenged for a period of 12 years, you can then register it as your own. This is known as adverse possession. It can, however, be quite woolly in some respects about chattels (things that people own).

There is no such doctrine of adverse possession when it comes to chattels. Possessing it for a lifetime will not automatically make it yours. The only certain way to show exclusive right to possession is by the chattel (in this case the Capri) being delivered to a person. This can be done by legal instrument such as a deed. The most common way is by the giving of a gift. So if you buy a shirt for somebody's birthday, the gift card will say 'To X, From Y', the physical handing over of the shirt with the card will do. You cannot pick up a car and put it in somebody's hand so the act of handing over the keys with appropriate declaration will do.

Possession is like a chain. If there was not adequate delivery, the original owner will retain best title. After him will be the owner of the flat. After him will be the present seller. The original owner of the car has better title over everybody referred to just now. The owner of the flat will have better title than the present seller and so on.

Here, the keys were probably somehow in the possession of the owner of the flat by the sound of things. Query whether they were handed over (as opposed to discovered in the flat) and also whether they were handed over with the intention of gifting the car. If the original owner told the owner of the flat he could take the car against outstanding rent etc, that would probably do.

Whether the original owner of the car can get it back therefore depends upon the circumstances in which the owner of the flat came to possess it. If there was not adequate delivery of the Capri to him, whomever buys this car from the present seller will not (in my view) be able to rule out that they might be challenged by the original owner on some unspecified future date.

NB: Holding the log book/V5 is not proof of ownership. It just defines the keeper/possessor of the vehicle. As we know, sometimes a spouse buys a car for their other half to use but the spouse's name is on the V5. Or a parent does the same for their child.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation.
MS Injection wrote:If there was not adequate delivery of the Capri to him, whomever buys this car from the present seller will not (in my view) be able to rule out that they might be challenged by the original owner on some unspecified future date
If I bought the car, I would be concerned that the previous owner (the ex-tenant of the flat) could return with an original bill of sale from the dealership and a spare set of keys (after all, this is claimed low-mileage two owner car) and therefore have a strong claim to the legal title of the car.
I would imagine that the current seller, the second registered keeper, does not have a receipt for the sale from the original keeper.

Andrew.
Terra-Kotta

Post by Terra-Kotta »

Just forget it. Don't worry about it now. Just a chancer.
Adlen85
Car(s): Black Capri 2.0S

Post by Adlen85 »

I'll take it!

Where do I sign?!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,

I haven't seen any photos or adverts of this car for sale anywhere. I wonder if it's been sold already?

Andrew.
marcuss3006
Car(s): Evo 6 TME, RS Megane, 1985 Capri

Post by marcuss3006 »

Well the car is now finally going to be up for sale in the next week, yes he had problems with the previous owner which is all sorted now with a bill of sale etc.

There seems to be a few wa**ers on this site (common thing on car forums) who think i'm a just a chancer but that's far from the truth! As far as im aware the mileage is genuine and to the clocks have not been changed. As said by a few members if your interested get in contact. Im no Capri expert i know bugger all about them. Just trying to put a honest add up.

As for the mileage the previous owner is happy to clarify that the mileage is genuine as it sat in his rented garage and didn't move for years!

Car will be advertised on Pistonheads so if you are generally interested them please get in contact if not please don't bother wasting our time

:ford:
andyd

Post by andyd »