WANTED Mk3 Capri WITHOUT SUNROOF

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: WANTED Mk3 Capri WITHOUT SUNROOF

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Turbonutter666 wrote:if I cannot sit in it comfortably then my capri dream will be at an end and I have no option other than looking at something else.
Hi,
It will be a real shame if your Capri dream will be over before it's even began.
Turbonutter666 wrote:I want a non sunroof model because the extra inch of room would make a lot of difference and I can fit a smaller steering wheel and remove the door handle for extra room.
If you really want the Capri that badly, one option would be to modify the seat frames mountings or runners so they slide further back and sit lower. The problem will be that you will have to buy the car first before you can start modifying.
Hope it all works out for you one way or another.

Andrew.
Turbonutter666
Car(s): D plate Nov 1987 Red 1600 Laser

Post by Turbonutter666 »

I have already thought about modifying seat rails but like you said I would have to buy the car first. I have no problem cutting welding or anything else I might need to do to it, its just been a very long time since I did any of my own mechanics and welding.
This is why I think I should go for a non sunroof model and see what its like, it might be that the extra headroom is all it takes but without finding one to look at first........
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator
Car(s): many many capris

Post by elliecharlie2008 »

ive got a non sunroof in at the min a 2.0gl sadly its sold but to be honest im 6"3 and there isn't much difference in head height
the cloth recaros seem to sit lower than normal seats but I find them a bit tight to sit in

laser seats sit pretty low especially if there worn and much more comfy ive got a few capris in with different seats fitted in at the min and different seats on the shelf if your not too far from doncaster come and see what fits you best and what options you can go with that way your not buying one to find its not a viable option
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Doncaster is about 130 miles from here so it's too far to just come and have a look albeit very tempting to have a look at your capri collection.
I'm pretty sure I'm coming to the end of my capri ownership dream.
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator

no worries pal
the offer is there
surly there must be someone local to you willing to let you have a looksee at what options are avalible
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

This thread had me rolling around.

Laser seats are higher than S's.. not much help but basically keep looking, you'll find one that suits. Ford sold over a million of them for a reason.

Surely if headroom is an issue you'll want the sunroof version? Then you can stick you head out of it :)
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

Thanks to everyone one here for your help and advice, I have not completely given up yet.
I have 2 options to look into.

1. Find a non sunroof model and see what if any difference there is.

2. Find a 'S' model and see how much difference the lower seats make.

Perhaps the combination of non sunroof, lower seats and a big of cutting and welding might be enough.

Now I just have to find a car to look at, I have been trawling the internet every day hoping to find a suitable car.
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator

I have both the models mentioned in ;)
Terra-Kotta
Car(s): Pinto/crossflow guru.

Post by Terra-Kotta »

I've never met anyone that didn't fit in a Capri. Are you a very very big man?
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

That depends on what you consider big to be, if your average height or smaller and average weight or less then to you I will be much bigger but if your 6'4 of more and a bit fat then I will be pretty much the same
For me my size is entirely normal and I live in world of tiny slender people.
Unfortunately us bigger people have to use the same stuff designed for you little people and it's very frustrating.
To be honest I'm surprised the capri is so small inside considering its a fairly big car, I have had many cars over the years, my 1st many years ago was a mk4 cortina which I drove without any issues amongst the many other cars were 2 sierra sapphire cosworths, again cabin space was not a problem but my head would rub on the roof where the sunroof is. I had an Evo 6 for 9 years, no sunroof and plenty of space for the driver and many other cars. The capri is just small inside but I still want one.
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

elliecharlie2008 wrote:I have both the models mentioned in ;)
I'm very tempted to take the 260 mile round trip!
elliecharlie2008
Donator
Donator

Turbonutter666 wrote:
elliecharlie2008 wrote:I have both the models mentioned in ;)
I'm very tempted to take the 260 mile round trip!
at the min there is eight capris here all different models/specs etc sunroof and non sunroof models cloth recaros,half leather recaros,laser interiors,L interiors,ghia interiors

plenty to have a sit in and swap around etc

it might be worth while on the trip
I aint trying to sell you one but more than willing to let you come play in them and see whats what that way your either going to decide a capri is for you or its not viable

steve
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

Steve, thanks for the offer. I have found 2 local cars to have a look at both with sunroofs but I want to compare agains the last one I looked at. One is a D plate laser that's in need of complete restoration the other is a V plate 3.0 ghia which is an auto. I will get back to you about having a look at your cars.
Regards, Simon.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Simon,
I have to say, it's great to see the support and encouragement you are receiving from Steve (elliecharlie2008). It appears that no-one wants to see your Capri dream in tatters!
I really hope it works out for you. :)

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Turbonutter666 wrote:For me my size is entirely normal and I live in world of tiny slender people.
That`s such a nice way of looking at it, good luck to you!!
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

stevemarl wrote:
Turbonutter666 wrote:For me my size is entirely normal and I live in world of tiny slender people.
That`s such a nice way of looking at it, good luck to you!!
No offence intended.
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

peers.dupp wrote:Simon,
I have to say, it's great to see the support and encouragement you are receiving from Steve (elliecharlie2008). It appears that no-one wants to see your Capri dream in tatters!
I really hope it works out for you. :)

Andrew.
Thanks for the support, I'm really grateful for the help and advice.
I had a look at another capri today but it is another laser with a sunroof. It needs a complete strip down and rebuild so it's pretty much what I'm looking for except for the sunroof. I might buy it and just modify it to fit.
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

I have bought the 'D' reg laser I mentioned previously. It has got a sunroof but I'm going to make
Myself fit in one way or another.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Turbonutter666 wrote:I have bought the 'D' reg laser I mentioned previously. It has got a sunroof but I'm going to make
Myself fit in one way or another.
Simon,
Congrats and welcome to the club!
You will have many hours of fun in your Capri. Guaranteed!
Make sure you post some photos of your new toy for us all to see.
If you need any help with anything, all you need to know is at your fingertips on this site!

All the best,
Andrew.
Turbonutter666

Post by Turbonutter666 »

Thanks Andrew,
I will be collecting the car later this week.
I got it on eBay for a reasonable £730. It's a 1.6 laser so not the most desirable model by a long shot and it needs a load of work as its a non runner but the shell is very good with new genuine ford wings fitted when it was last on the road 10 years ago, it has very little rust, just a little on one of the arches and 3 small patches on the top of the n/s sill need to be cut out and welded.
The paint is very faded but I will see if a bit of cutting compound will draw some colour out. It's missing a bonnet, master cylinder, heater box and motor, and a distributor but all easy stuff to get.
The Interior is all there but not fitted. It's completely ruined but laser interior is pretty rubbish anyway. I was unable to look underneath when I viewed it because it's in a yard covered in broken glass and sharp bits and bobs so fingers crossed it's not a complete rotter underneath.
The current plan is to get it running with its 1.6 engine which was apparently running fairly well but smoking a lot so my guess is the valve stem rubbers perished. It will require a quick strip down to asses the condition but I'm hoping it's all ok, if not it will have a new engine and running gear yet to be decided. Then a quick patch up and get it through its mot then I can work on restoring it to its former glory with perhaps a colour change from red to yellow as I have always wanted a yellow car.
I will post some pictures in the members cars section soon.
Regards, Simon.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1545227321