stock mk3 laser 1.6l 5 speed mot'd june 2014 taxed december

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
billzgolf
Car(s): Laser

stock mk3 laser 1.6l 5 speed mot'd june 2014 taxed december

Post by billzgolf »

Hi and thanks for taking the time to have a look, please read all the details.
For sale is a stock 1986 Capri laser mk3 1.6l mot’d till June 2014 and taxed till december 2013
72k and located in north lanarkshire 15 miles outside glasgow
More pics at the link below(some of the photobucket pics were taken in the garage with a mobile phone hence the apparent difference in the paintwork colour)
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/billzg ... rary/capri

Came by this Capri locally last September 2012 while looking for my usual winter project
It had been off the road for in excess of ten years as far as I can ascertain and was suffering from the usual problems, mainly corrosion.
Now this was never intended to be a restoration but I decided to do a comprehensive re-commissioning and address any problems found along the way, then mot her for use during the summer 2013
First job was to strip to the bare shell, remove the interior, engine, gearbox ,suspension, axle , doors boot and wiring loom etc.
Next it was mounted on a rollover jig to address the corrosion.
As expected the worst points were the spring hangers, chassis rails, seat mounts strut tops and areas of the floor itself.
Before any welding the floor was stripped back to bare metal and any corrosion cut out.
Welding was then carried out where required but the spring hangers and chassis in particular were repaired using thicker 2mm steel, it was then primed with red oxide and stone chipped.
Repair panels were used for the strut tops and dressed accordingly before painting.
The inner wings showed previous repairs which seemed to be holding ok but had been treated to an over the top load of seam sealer or similar, I decided to let that be, so only a few additional repairs were needed in that area around the front bumper mounts.
Front scoop was rough but as I said this was not a restoration so it was just tidied up.
The doors were hanging fine before removal and not dropping , the A pillars themselves were in good shape.
Next job was to split the engine and gearbox for some cleaning and maintenance.
The head and block were separated, the head was cleaned and the chambers de coked where accessible.
The valves were cleaned and ground back in before reassembly, all gaskets and seals were replaced and new head bolts used.
The block had the piston crowns inspected and polished up to remove any carbon.
New crankshaft oil seals sump gaskets etc. were fitted.
Water pump was replaced as a matter of course along with the cambelt, oil filter, point’s rotor and cap etc.

All suspension bushes and ball joints were also replaced front and rear including the leaf spring eye bushes.
The diff was fine with no excessive whine or play so just an oil change and gasket required for that.
Brake discs, drums, pads and shoes were renewed along with the flexi hoses and brake pipes.
Callipers were also stripped and overhauled
Tyres were renewed and alloys restored.
The loom was tested and new connectors fitted where possible then rewound for fitting.
New earth points were created for any original points that were looking dubious.
This has the 5 speed type 9 box which was cleaned, fitted with new seals and gaskets .
Next I decided to give her a fresh coat of paint and went for a shade slightly lighter than the original lacquer red.
All told I think I put 4 or 5 coats of cellulose on.
Not perfect by any means but very tidy with a good gloss to it after cutting and polishing, now I’m by no means an expert spray painter but the results were more than acceptable .
Interior was cleaned and refitted then electrics tested.
The rear light cluster bulb connections were a pain in the backside and took a bit of work to get them reliable.
Mot was no problem and after some brake adjustments and tweaking to the headlight aim she passed with no advisories.
Have put a few miles on her during the summer but not as much as I’d have liked.
Superb old school fun and no serious problems cropped up.
The capri Now has to go to make way for a 1968 herald convertible which I’m ready to get underway for next summer.
Camshaft is a bit noisy due to the milage but certainly not enough in my opinion to warrant splitting the head and block again at this time.
In short she’s now tidy, solid and goes well , could certainly be used as an everyday driver if you wanted or make a great starting point for a more elaborate project, engine swap or whatever. you may notice the front bumper over riders are missing,i had a set somewhere but as yet cant track them down so consider them awal at the moment.
Will consider serious offers around £1950 Please pm me for contact number and any questions