1.6L Capri Wanted For First Car!

Capris For Sale and Wanted Adverts
brand401

1.6L Capri Wanted For First Car!

Post by brand401 »

Hey,

Please could you let me know if you or anyone you know has a 1.6 capri for sale as i am turning 17 soon and wish to buy one for my first car!

Cheers :)
NewbieFord
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6 laser in black

Re: 1.6L Capri Wanted For First Car!

Post by NewbieFord »

you wouldn't be the first to go down that path, i'm 18 now and I've had nothing but trouble with mine (still love it though). your gonna have get to know people who know how to work on them if you don't know how or need help because a local garage won't do anything, repair bills arnt extensive for them though, but fuel is, and keep an eye on the carb, they tend to go at around 50-60,000 miles so ask the guy selling if the carb is an original or has been changed recently. obviously, rust is a major issue but check under the car for rust as well. also, if some of your friends don't have an interest in cars don't be surprised if they run a country mile at first but then grow to love it =] i love mine and couldn't sell it for the world but, annoyingly, we live in the real world =[
Insurance wise for an 18 year old it was the Capri.... or the 1.0 fiesta. I chose the loud, shouty car instead =D
brand401

Post by brand401 »

yeah i was just looking around and saw a few ford capri's... had a little search on the insurance websites and it was the cheapest aswell out of many of the cars i.e 2001 1.0l corsa :/ and tbh with you i just love the old skl look of it. Dont start driving for a few months as im still 16 atm, which means if i get one soon i will have plenty of time to make sure she runs right and is all good :) thanks for your advise, and if u ever do wanna sell your car just give me a shout :D

cheers mate
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Nothing wrong with a Capri as a first car depending what you want.
You need to be prepared to learn about the car and get stuck in whenever its necessary.
If you learn on a modern you'll notice a big difference as well - heavy steering, more thirsty, slower to stop, that sort of thing but great fun never the less.
And as said above rust is an issue. If you find one you want make sure someone who knows cars gives it a looksee. Good luck.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Ghia15
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1981 3.0 Ghia (Restoration Project), 1982 2.0's (Long term project), 1993 BMW E34 520i, 1999 Volvo V70 (Sold to the Parents)

Post by Ghia15 »

I had my first capri at 17 andf learnt to drive in it.

I have now had it for 5 years now and still love it.

I didn't have a clue about cars or mechanics when I started but just got stuck in with the basics such as a service. The things that taught me were the very helpful members on here and in a local club and, of course, the trusty haynes manual.

The capr is dead simple to work on and as long as you get one that is rust free then you should have very little problems.

If you got a modern car then only a garage could fix it so you will be forced to pay what ever they feel like charging that day.

With the capri you will tend to only buy parts. The parts wont have garage mark up on them or the labour of fitting them so you should be soorted.

If you have a choice between two capri's, one with rust but good mechanicals and one with no rust but worn out mechanicals then go for the second.

Mechanical problems are much easier to sort than body work. A novice should be able to change the engine, gearbox, axle in a fairly short time and the more experienced guys could probably do all in a day.

Hope you find what you are looking for and if you are not sure then get someone off of here or who knows cars well to go and see what you are looking at. that way they can steer you away from disaster.