Sunroof Handle

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Sunroof Handle

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

As far as I'm aware, the (uppermost side when fitted in the car) of the circular trim has a protruding lip around the centre screw hole, this fits the handle to the right of Danny's photo. Obviously because of this lip the trim will not fit the handle to the left in the photo unless it is modified by removing that lip. To be more precise, it will fit, but the trim will sit correctly around the handle
As said, every handle will fit every car. It's not a life or death situation if you buy one type of handle to replace a broken one of a different type.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

When I put the handle on it still worked fine that wasn't an issue, but the screw I had taken out of my original one wasn't long enough to fit the 'un-notched' one into place. Also, the plastic surround for the handle didn't fit in so well either because as Andrew says the plastic surround has the lip which means it didn't fit correctly, but if I had the whole assembly rather than just the handle then it would have been a simple enough changeover - only three screws to remove it all.

As Andrew says, if you buy a different handle they will fit one way or another, or worst case it's only one drift pin and the handle can be manoeuvred out and put into the different base part if needed.

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Thanks to both of you for that, that`s pretty much what I thought, it`s just good to have it confirmed.
Cheers,
Steve
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:58 pm This was mentioned a while back in the club magazine. I seem to recall John mentioning that there are three different types of handle.

He mentioned also that they were looking at remanufacturing them if I remember rightly. Not sure how far he has got with that though, but it could end up a big seller and a very important part as surely more and more of them will fail over time.