Rear Axle

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
PintoPunk91
Car(s): 1987 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser & 2017 Nissan X-Trail 1.5 Tekna

Rear Axle

Post by PintoPunk91 »

Evening folks. I'm on the lookout for a rear axle for my mk3 Capri. Does anyone have one kicking about. Or could anyone suggest an alternative to the atlas axle that might be easier to source.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Rear Axle

Post by Not_Anumber »

Give Martin a shout he has axles from time to time and got me a decent one for my 2.8 a few months ago.

Has your diff given up the ghost ?
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

PintoPunk91 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:41 pm Evening folks. I'm on the lookout for a rear axle for my mk3 Capri. Does anyone have one kicking about. Or could anyone suggest an alternative to the atlas axle that might be easier to source.
Which one would you be wanting?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

From his other posts he seems to have a 1.6 Mk3 that he is looking to drop a 2 litre in. Its not clear which ratio diff he is after as either would do the job just with a slightly different emphasis on acceleration or cruising.
PintoPunk91
Car(s): 1987 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser & 2017 Nissan X-Trail 1.5 Tekna

Post by PintoPunk91 »

Hi guys, thanks for the info. Managed to get a standard atlas axle from a family friend for a mere £60. Now to strip the old one off and get the new one on. Any tips when fitting the new one? I planned on replacing what I can while the axle is off.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

The diff cover is prone to perforation due to corrosion so it might be an idea to take it off, rub it down, treat it and give it a couple of coats of Smoothrite. (You can also clean out the last of the old oil and wipe out any sludge in the bottom).
You will need a new gasket, (Caprigear), but pinholes in the rear cover are very common so it`s well worth doing whilst on the bench.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have new diff covers and the gaskets in stock.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Don't scrap the old axle, there are people interested in them for refurb ! !