Leaking sunroof with a new seal

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Brian
Car(s): 1986 ford capri laser 1.6 restoration

Leaking sunroof with a new seal

Post by Brian »

Hey I have a new genuine ford sunroof seal on my 1.6 laser and it still leaking is there anyway of sealing up the sunroof full time without having to replace the roof?

Thanks in advance for your help👍👍👍
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Leaking sunroof with a new seal

Post by D366Y »

Could try sealing it with a bucketload of silicone sealant??
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Is the sunroof adjusted to seal properly when it's closed?

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

As I understand it the seal doesn`t actually seal 100%, it limits water ingress, but there are channels, effectively `gutters`, underneath the edges of the sunroof panel with drain holes in each corner (you can see the front ones) so any water which inevitably seeps past the `seal` is collected & drained away. If water`s coming in the car, it`s probably because the drain holes/tubes are blocked so the internal `guttering` is overflowing?
You could try poking through the drain holes (you`l need something about 1.5m, strong, but flexible like the inner cable of a speedo drive)

* Disclaimer: this is how I`ve always believed it was designed to work, as the felt seal on a horizontal surface was never going to be watertight?
Olly Sparks
Car(s): 1987 Capri 3.0S Brooklands

Post by Olly Sparks »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:57 am You could try poking through the drain holes (you`l need something about 1.5m, strong, but flexible
Its funny you say that, because the Tropical Sunroof Seal has a strong, but flexible, penile exploration inseminator orgsn that is, on average, 150cm in length.
Brian
Car(s): 1986 ford capri laser 1.6 restoration

Post by Brian »

Yea I must get someone to see if is adjusted properly.
I have a bit of rust on the underside of the roof just behind the sunroof so instead of replacing the roof that would cost alot of money, I was just wondering if it could be sealed up full time and just don't use it.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Olly Sparks wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:32 pm that is, on average, 150cm in length
No, it MUST be 1.5m...
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Brian wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:32 pm I have a bit of rust on the underside of the roof just behind the sunroof
You mean the actual roof an inch or 2 behind the sunroof aperture, is it actually perforating? Apparently they often do there because there`s some kind of reinforcing structure which fits close to the roof skin and condensation gets trapped there and rots the roof. You could obviously seal up the roof with silicone, but I doubt it will help with that particular problem? Apparently it`s a bit of a bastard to cure.