New Capri locks & Keys

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

New Capri locks & Keys

Post by Jasonmarie »

So thought I would share this as I needed some new locking wheel keys and found this chap was really good and he sent me this small flyer , as he does locks and keys for Fords from 1975-2015
Just in case anybody needs one in the future .
F805A6AE-2B9C-478B-A267-3DFBEB27DE32.jpeg
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: New Capri locks & Keys

Post by stevemarl »

That looks really useful, and fair prices. Why don`t you add it to this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50830
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

I have used this guy for a full set of door locks, boot lock and matching ignition lock. Quick turnaround and reasonable price and will help with any problems. Highly recommended
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:09 pm That looks really useful, and fair prices. Why don`t you add it to this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50830
:agree:

Done it for you JM.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Great find Jason, thanks.
A quick question to all:
Given that I'm a bit wary of having a new locked matched to my existing key by the lock man, which presumably means sending off a key, I would like to attempt to do that job myself. I have heard that the tumblers in the lock have to be adjusted. Has anybody done that and is it a DIY (ie easy) job?
Thanks in advance.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers Andy :cool:

Andrew yes I think your right , but might be cheaper getting a full lock set in the long run ? Also then good for another 40 years :lol:
I know on my spare key there’s a TX code with the number not sure if the lock will carry the same TX code .

My wheel locking keys is in a original ford bag and label so original stuff I guess .

Keep us posted
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
with a new set of tumblers, you basically insert the key and cut off all the protruding `tumbler ends so that they all lie flush with the surface of the barrel. Obv. when you then take the key out, the ends will then pop out and prevent barrel turning. If you have some old tumblers from scrap locks, you can usually with a bit of trial and error re-arrange them to give a working lock. I think the guy sells the tumblers, so best bet would be to just buy a set new and trim as in 1st bit.
DSC01104.JPG
DSC01103.JPG
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Hi Andrew,

Drop old soldier a mail, he is really helpful and will tell you if he needs the key or not. Some locks have a number on them which he can use to then provide you with a new tumbler set so it will work with your key
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:14 pm Andrew,
with a new set of tumblers, you basically insert the key and cut off all the protruding `tumbler ends so that they all lie flush with the surface of the barrel. Obv. when you then take the key out, the ends will then pop out and prevent barrel turning. If you have some old tumblers from scrap locks, you can usually with a bit of trial and error re-arrange them to give a working lock. I think the guy sells the tumblers, so best bet would be to just buy a set new and trim as in 1st bit.
Hi Steve,
Thank you for your informative and helpful reply.
I think I will need to buy a new lock, that's if they are available for the early lock-in-handle type.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

brooky wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:37 pm Hi Andrew,

Drop old soldier a mail, he is really helpful and will tell you if he needs the key or not. Some locks have a number on them which he can use to then provide you with a new tumbler set so it will work with your key
Thanks Mark,
I contacted Old Soldier earlier today and I'm currently waiting for him to call back.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thanks for the update Andrew , one mad question so if I bought just a barrel that would fit all the locks ? As not a bad thing having a spare ?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Yes, you can get a new barrel, new tumblers, insert key and trim off the protruding ends, - voila! As in post, above.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:31 pm
I contacted Old Soldier earlier today and I'm currently waiting for him to call back.

Andrew.
I e-mailed them recently after seeing this thread as I need a duplicate key for a car, but received no response.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

If it`s the Capri Paul, I`ve got a blank?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am I e-mailed them recently after seeing this thread as I need a duplicate key for a car, but received no response.
Communicating with customers does not appear to be high on their list of priorities, as I am still waiting for a call back.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:07 pm
pbar wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 am I e-mailed them recently after seeing this thread as I need a duplicate key for a car, but received no response.
Communicating with customers does not appear to be high on their list of priorities, as I am still waiting for a call back.

Andrew.

And I still haven't had a reply to my E-mail either.

I must admit, I am very wary of 'companies' who do not offer a landline number or an address, preferring just to have a mobile number instead.
andyd

Post by andyd »

I always call people if there is a mobile or 01 phone number, or any other number that my phone covers in my monthly price.
Emails often take too long to reply and I'm impatient :D

But I won't call numbers that cost a fortune I will then email.
pbar

Post by pbar »

A company with nothing but a mobile number seems far more fly by night, than a traditional business with a landline and an address.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 am A company with nothing but a mobile number seems far more fly by night, than a traditional business with a landline and an address.
Maybe like many others he works from home and doesn't want business calls on his landline number?

But I can see your point :cheers:

If you have an email you should reply to them as not doing so is ignorant. Same with text messages.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

pbar wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:49 am I must admit, I am very wary of 'companies' who do not offer a landline number or an address, preferring just to have a mobile number instead.
I couldn't agree more with that statement, and I feel the same about businesses that only have a Facebook presence but not their own website.
If something goes wrong with an order, how do you contact this Southampton Soldier if he doesn't answer his mobile or reply to e-mails? You can't.

Andrew.