2l Pinto wanted

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
PintoPunk91
Car(s): 1987 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser & 2017 Nissan X-Trail 1.5 Tekna

2l Pinto wanted

Post by PintoPunk91 »

Hi guys. Currently working on my 1.6 Laser it's a work in progress. Ultimately I want to swap the engine out. Seems that the easiest way to do this is to go straight for the 2l pinto. Are there any 2l pintos going on here? Preferably a 205 block.

Thanks in advance.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: 2l Pinto wanted

Post by Not_Anumber »

A 205 block is only really worth paying more for if you are planning on seriously overboring. People used to take the standard blocks up to 2.1 quite safely - i did one many years ago before any 205 blocks existed.
Frankly the cost of overboring and difficulty in finding suitable pistons these days though is such that it's only worth it if you are trying to rescue a block with heavilly damaged bores - the insignificant increase in bhp would otherwise make spending that money quite impossible to justify.
I sought out a 205 block around 5 years ago for a kitcar build and the when i took it in to ask about overboring the guy just laughed and said id paid more for an extra digit stamped on the block that would give me no tangible benefit unless I was planning to take everything else on the engine to the limit.

The later injection pinto head that often came with the 205 block is frankly more worthwhile than the 205 block itself due to its improved valves and gas flow.

A standard decent 2.0 Pinto, with good condition bores, crank and bearings will do the job. if you want to go further you can later add a mild /fast road camshaft and a freeflow exhaust manifold for a few more bhp without hurting fuel consumption or reliability.
John77
Car(s): 84 Capri 2.0s Black

Post by John77 »

I’ve got my standard 2.0 pinto sitting spare, where are you?
A Capri is for life, not just for Christmas!
PintoPunk91
Car(s): 1987 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser & 2017 Nissan X-Trail 1.5 Tekna

Post by PintoPunk91 »

I'm in Scotland, just outside Glasgow. Sorry for the late reply 😂 forgot all about this place til recently.