Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Pinto parts

Post by D366Y »

Hi guys,

I have a list of parts I need and I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations on these parts before I go to Burton or CCI?

Big End bearings - https://www.burtonpower.com/big-end-bea ... 9-1mm.html
Crack main bearings - https://www.burtonpower.com/mahle-main- ... 0-std.html
Top end gasket kit - http://capriclub.co.uk/Engine-Spares/Ga ... -set-pinto
Bottom end gasket kit - http://capriclub.co.uk/Engine-Spares/Ga ... -set-pinto
Oil Filter - http://capriclub.co.uk/Engine-Spares/Oil/oil-filter
Piston rings - https://www.burtonpower.com/piston-ring ... 6-060.html

Cylinder head bolts have been recommended as well but not sure if they're needed or worth doing?

Any help to check if theses are the right parts and if not where else I could find them would be muchos appreciated!

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Pinto parts

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sounds like Santa will have to do a lot this year Dan , sorry not got any of them parts but I would get new Head bolts as the old ones should only be used once ..... best of luck dan
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Jasonmarie wrote:Sounds like Santa will have to do a lot this year Dan , sorry not got any of them parts but I would get new Head bolts as the old ones should only be used once ..... best of luck dan
I know, he's got his work cut out for him! :lol: thanks for the advice on the head bolts as well Jason
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Re the headbolts, Jason is right for a later model like his or your Lasers but on a 1981 it will have the 12 spline bolts which can be reused. They need to be torqued up in stages then re-torqued after a few miles.

Did you try CK engineer or there is Allparts in Wycombe. If you go in with the prices you have been quoted and see if they can beat them, they often do. Make sure your mechanic gives you the exact sizes of everything to get - those piston rings you show are oversize.

Also make sure your mechanic thoroughly hones the cylinders before refitting the pistons as well - this helps the new rings to bed in.

I've got an oil filter you can have FOC, not that that makes much difference to the wallet pain.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:Re the headbolts, Jason is right for a later model like his or your Lasers but on a 1981 it will have the 12 spline bolts which can be reused. They need to be torqued up in stages then re-torqued after a few miles.

Did you try CK engineer or there is Allparts in Wycombe. If you go in with the prices you have been quoted and see if they can beat them, they often do. Make sure your mechanic gives you the exact sizes of everything to get - those piston rings you show are oversize.

Also make sure your mechanic thoroughly hones the cylinders before refitting the pistons as well - this helps the new rings to bed in.

I've got an oil filter you can have FOC, not that that makes much difference to the wallet pain.
Thanks Paul, I'll check the piston ring sizes with him, is there more than one size for the Crank main and big end bearings or are they all OK?
I'll try CK Engineers, not a massive fan of allparts usually but I'll check with them as well for comparison, and thanks for the offer of an oil filter but I feel bad taking it from you after all the help you've given me already and I've not even reciprocated yet! :lol:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Yes there are different sizes for the big end and main bearing journals as well. They will be standard, 0.25mm, 0.50 etc undersize depending if the crank has been re-ground or not.

Bearings are undersized and pistons and rings are sold oversized depending if and by how much the cylinder has been re-bored.

Your mechanic will tell you which size you need and if he doesn't seem to know then I suggest you pick your engine up and get someone who does to rebuild it.

I know it's another expense but can I suggest you put a new oil pump in it as loss of oil pressure in the first place is what would have caused the bearings to go unless the car was run dry of oil back when it dumped its oil.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

For the oil filter, I've just bought two for a fiver (Bosch) at Euro Car Parts, as they had an offer on, all filters half price, so I'd look at that.

Otherwise go to Car Parts 4 Less, the Bosch ones are cheaper than the one in your list and free postage too.

D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote:For the oil filter, I've just bought two for a fiver (Bosch) at Euro Car Parts, as they had an offer on, all filters half price, so I'd look at that.

Otherwise go to Car Parts 4 Less, the Bosch ones are cheaper than the one in your list and free postage too.

Cheers Paul, I always forget about Carparts 4less, will order that now!