Pinto parts

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Pinto parts

Postby D366Y » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi guys,

I have a list of parts I need and I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations on these parts before I go to Burton or CCI?

Big End bearings - https://www.burtonpower.com/big-end-bea ... 9-1mm.html
Crack main bearings - https://www.burtonpower.com/mahle-main- ... 0-std.html
Top end gasket kit - http://capriclub.co.uk/Engine-Spares/Ga ... -set-pinto
Bottom end gasket kit - http://capriclub.co.uk/Engine-Spares/Ga ... -set-pinto
Oil Filter - http://capriclub.co.uk/Engine-Spares/Oil/oil-filter
Piston rings - https://www.burtonpower.com/piston-ring ... 6-060.html

Cylinder head bolts have been recommended as well but not sure if they're needed or worth doing?

Any help to check if theses are the right parts and if not where else I could find them would be muchos appreciated!

Cheers

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2206
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Pinto parts

Postby Jasonmarie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Sounds like Santa will have to do a lot this year Dan , sorry not got any of them parts but I would get new Head bolts as the old ones should only be used once ..... best of luck dan
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Pinto parts

Postby D366Y » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:Sounds like Santa will have to do a lot this year Dan , sorry not got any of them parts but I would get new Head bolts as the old ones should only be used once ..... best of luck dan


I know, he's got his work cut out for him! :lol: thanks for the advice on the head bolts as well Jason

Paul G
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Pinto parts

Postby Paul G » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Re the headbolts, Jason is right for a later model like his or your Lasers but on a 1981 it will have the 12 spline bolts which can be reused. They need to be torqued up in stages then re-torqued after a few miles.

Did you try CK engineer or there is Allparts in Wycombe. If you go in with the prices you have been quoted and see if they can beat them, they often do. Make sure your mechanic gives you the exact sizes of everything to get - those piston rings you show are oversize.

Also make sure your mechanic thoroughly hones the cylinders before refitting the pistons as well - this helps the new rings to bed in.

I've got an oil filter you can have FOC, not that that makes much difference to the wallet pain.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Pinto parts

Postby D366Y » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Paul G wrote:Re the headbolts, Jason is right for a later model like his or your Lasers but on a 1981 it will have the 12 spline bolts which can be reused. They need to be torqued up in stages then re-torqued after a few miles.

Did you try CK engineer or there is Allparts in Wycombe. If you go in with the prices you have been quoted and see if they can beat them, they often do. Make sure your mechanic gives you the exact sizes of everything to get - those piston rings you show are oversize.

Also make sure your mechanic thoroughly hones the cylinders before refitting the pistons as well - this helps the new rings to bed in.

I've got an oil filter you can have FOC, not that that makes much difference to the wallet pain.


Thanks Paul, I'll check the piston ring sizes with him, is there more than one size for the Crank main and big end bearings or are they all OK?
I'll try CK Engineers, not a massive fan of allparts usually but I'll check with them as well for comparison, and thanks for the offer of an oil filter but I feel bad taking it from you after all the help you've given me already and I've not even reciprocated yet! :lol:

Paul G
Posts: 1276
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Pinto parts

Postby Paul G » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Yes there are different sizes for the big end and main bearing journals as well. They will be standard, 0.25mm, 0.50 etc undersize depending if the crank has been re-ground or not.

Bearings are undersized and pistons and rings are sold oversized depending if and by how much the cylinder has been re-bored.

Your mechanic will tell you which size you need and if he doesn't seem to know then I suggest you pick your engine up and get someone who does to rebuild it.

I know it's another expense but can I suggest you put a new oil pump in it as loss of oil pressure in the first place is what would have caused the bearings to go unless the car was run dry of oil back when it dumped its oil.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5335
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Pinto parts

Postby pbar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:11 pm

For the oil filter, I've just bought two for a fiver (Bosch) at Euro Car Parts, as they had an offer on, all filters half price, so I'd look at that.

Otherwise go to Car Parts 4 Less, the Bosch ones are cheaper than the one in your list and free postage too.

Image

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Pinto parts

Postby D366Y » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:37 pm

pbar wrote:For the oil filter, I've just bought two for a fiver (Bosch) at Euro Car Parts, as they had an offer on, all filters half price, so I'd look at that.

Otherwise go to Car Parts 4 Less, the Bosch ones are cheaper than the one in your list and free postage too.

Image


Cheers Paul, I always forget about Carparts 4less, will order that now!