Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

2.0 Pinto Engine

Post by D366Y »

Hi guys, my engine in the GL is in need of some help... Burton want over a grand just in parts to re-build it so looking at donor or part donor engines?

Essentially what I need is a usable bottom end that I know works already... everything from the head down basically including block/pistons/cranks etc.

If you have that half of an engine laying around I'd be interested, or an engine that is full but has a broken head or something that needs work on the top, or alternatively a full 2l pinto engine in working order. If you have something lying around please let me know and I may be able to make use of it :)

Thanks!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Post by Not_Anumber »

is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote:is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?
The mechanic who stripped it said that the big end and main bearings are worn on cylinders 1 and 4, will need piston rings replaced as well. Crankshaft is within tolerance (just) so shouldn't need any work...

Hence why I thought the bottom end of an engine would be easier, my head is ok but the arse is not :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So sorry to here this Dan , when you look on line there seems to be a mixed bag of engines from transits to Sierra. I guess you have phoned Martin and the Tickover boys ?
Best of luck mate ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

The best Pinto engine you can find as standard was the one fitted to the 2.0 litre injected Sierra (but make sure its a pinto, not the later DOHC thing). Most of them used 205 blocks which are slightly thicker walled - and if you get the head with it this has better valves and more efficient flow rate than the other pinto heads.

I was lucky enough to have found one of these a few years ago which i put in a kit car. It should really have been called a pinto plus engine - its the same thing but just that little bit better out of the box.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:
Not_Anumber wrote:is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?
The mechanic who stripped it said that the big end and main bearings are worn on cylinders 1 and 4, will need piston rings replaced as well. Crankshaft is within tolerance (just) so shouldn't need any work...

Hence why I thought the bottom end of an engine would be easier, my head is ok but the arse is not :lol:
Danny, have you tried CK Engineering in Cressex, Wycombe? They would have the parts and would rebuild the engine and do a good job. Give them a ring - 01494 - 530909.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:
D366Y wrote:

Danny, have you tried CK Engineering in Cressex, Wycombe? They would have the parts and would rebuild the engine and do a good job. Give them a ring - 01494 - 530909.
Thanks Paul, I'll give them a bell, just waiting for a comprehensive list of all the parts I'll need and I can look to get things sorted

Not_Anumber wrote:The best Pinto engine you can find as standard was the one fitted to the 2.0 litre injected Sierra (but make sure its a pinto, not the later DOHC thing). Most of them used 205 blocks which are slightly thicker walled - and if you get the head with it this has better valves and more efficient flow rate than the other pinto heads.

I was lucky enough to have found one of these a few years ago which i put in a kit car. It should really have been called a pinto plus engine - its the same thing but just that little bit better out of the box.
Thanks for the advice on 205/sierra blocks as well in case it doesn't work out I'll look down this route,

Cheers
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Though the inlet ports on the injected head look a different shape you can still use the standard inlet manifold and carb without any modification. Its a really nice cylinder head if you can find one.