2.0 Pinto Engine

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby D366Y » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Hi guys, my engine in the GL is in need of some help... Burton want over a grand just in parts to re-build it so looking at donor or part donor engines?

Essentially what I need is a usable bottom end that I know works already... everything from the head down basically including block/pistons/cranks etc.

If you have that half of an engine laying around I'd be interested, or an engine that is full but has a broken head or something that needs work on the top, or alternatively a full 2l pinto engine in working order. If you have something lying around please let me know and I may be able to make use of it :)

Thanks!

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983. Restoring:1979 MGB GT + 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby Not_Anumber » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:20 pm

is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby D366Y » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:09 pm

Not_Anumber wrote:is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?


The mechanic who stripped it said that the big end and main bearings are worn on cylinders 1 and 4, will need piston rings replaced as well. Crankshaft is within tolerance (just) so shouldn't need any work...

Hence why I thought the bottom end of an engine would be easier, my head is ok but the arse is not :lol:

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby Jasonmarie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:24 pm

So sorry to here this Dan , when you look on line there seems to be a mixed bag of engines from transits to Sierra. I guess you have phoned Martin and the Tickover boys ?
Best of luck mate ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983. Restoring:1979 MGB GT + 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby Not_Anumber » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

The best Pinto engine you can find as standard was the one fitted to the 2.0 litre injected Sierra (but make sure its a pinto, not the later DOHC thing). Most of them used 205 blocks which are slightly thicker walled - and if you get the head with it this has better valves and more efficient flow rate than the other pinto heads.

I was lucky enough to have found one of these a few years ago which i put in a kit car. It should really have been called a pinto plus engine - its the same thing but just that little bit better out of the box.

Paul G
Posts: 1217
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby Paul G » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 pm

D366Y wrote:
Not_Anumber wrote:is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?


The mechanic who stripped it said that the big end and main bearings are worn on cylinders 1 and 4, will need piston rings replaced as well. Crankshaft is within tolerance (just) so shouldn't need any work...

Hence why I thought the bottom end of an engine would be easier, my head is ok but the arse is not :lol:


Danny, have you tried CK Engineering in Cressex, Wycombe? They would have the parts and would rebuild the engine and do a good job. Give them a ring - 01494 - 530909.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby D366Y » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Paul G wrote:
D366Y wrote:
Not_Anumber wrote:is there anything that can be salvaged from your old engine. What was the nature of the problem you had and the cause of the strange noise ?


The mechanic who stripped it said that the big end and main bearings are worn on cylinders 1 and 4, will need piston rings replaced as well. Crankshaft is within tolerance (just) so shouldn't need any work...

Hence why I thought the bottom end of an engine would be easier, my head is ok but the arse is not :lol:


Danny, have you tried CK Engineering in Cressex, Wycombe? They would have the parts and would rebuild the engine and do a good job. Give them a ring - 01494 - 530909.


Thanks Paul, I'll give them a bell, just waiting for a comprehensive list of all the parts I'll need and I can look to get things sorted


Not_Anumber wrote:The best Pinto engine you can find as standard was the one fitted to the 2.0 litre injected Sierra (but make sure its a pinto, not the later DOHC thing). Most of them used 205 blocks which are slightly thicker walled - and if you get the head with it this has better valves and more efficient flow rate than the other pinto heads.

I was lucky enough to have found one of these a few years ago which i put in a kit car. It should really have been called a pinto plus engine - its the same thing but just that little bit better out of the box.


Thanks for the advice on 205/sierra blocks as well in case it doesn't work out I'll look down this route,

Cheers

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983. Restoring:1979 MGB GT + 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: 2.0 Pinto Engine

Postby Not_Anumber » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:59 pm

Though the inlet ports on the injected head look a different shape you can still use the standard inlet manifold and carb without any modification. Its a really nice cylinder head if you can find one.