2.8i Power Steering Rack Input Shaft Dust Cover Search

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Titan grau
Car(s): 2.8i Special Mercury Grey over Stratos Silver

2.8i Power Steering Rack Input Shaft Dust Cover Search

Post by Titan grau »

Bit of spare part help please if anyone can.

While taking the engine out for some tlc, I noticed the little cover that goes over the shaft into the power steering rack was split, on close inspection it it is just crumbling in to pieces. Its not the actual rubber oil seal for the shaft but more like a push on dust cover, quite thick and solid in form (well it used to be). So my quest is to find a new one, so far though having no luck at all finding what it is or anywhere that sells a replacement. Places that do seal kits only seem to show the internal seals required but not this one so I'm at a loss. So I'm hoping someone on here might have a suggestions of a source, part number or even a decent one they can spare/sell for less than an arm and a leg.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: 2.8i Power Steering Rack Input Shaft Dust Cover Search

Post by pbar »

You may be best trying Martin at CapriGear first for that, you can PM him on here under that same username or just ring him - 01507 343148
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Would a large ball joint rubber cover do the job? You can buy just the covers from most motor factors or from the dreaded ebay.
Titan grau
Car(s): 2.8i Special Mercury Grey over Stratos Silver

Post by Titan grau »

Thanks guys.
I'll try Martin,
I have got a track control arm seal to possibly adapt as a plan B if I really cant get the correct part.