Wanted: drivers seat or bolster shark grey

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Bracey
Car(s): 2.8 injection

Wanted: drivers seat or bolster shark grey

Post by Bracey »

Hi guys,

The drivers seat on my car is looking a bit tatty.
Has anyone got shark grey Recaro seats for sale or fabric to redo a drivers bolster? Also what's the going rate for a repair or is it easy enough for anyone with a sewing machine?

Many Thanks,

Dan.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Wanted: drivers seat or bolster shark grey

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bracey wrote: is it easy enough for anyone with a sewing machine?
Hi Dan,
As you're probably aware, it's tough to find a driver's bolster in good condition.
I repaired mine using material from a rear seat backrest that I bought cheaply from Ebay. As rear seats aren't used as often as the fronts, the material tends to be in better shape. Luckily the front seats come apart easily enough, as you need to take off the bolster to be able to remove the cover. Once removed, I unstitched the worn section of the cover and used it as a template for the replacement material. Stitch it all back together and it'll be as new. If the foam part of the bolster is in poor shape, it will probably be a good idea to replace that before putting the cover back on. Luckily, replacements are readily available. It's as easy as that!

Good luck!

Andrew.
Bracey

Post by Bracey »

Thanks for the reply Andrew very helpful as always :applaud:

An upholsterer I spoke with said the rear seats wouldn't give enough material to do the section... although to me it looked like it would. Here's the section I'll be replacing just to clarify. I was planning on swapping the piping too.

Also you make a good point about replacing the underlaying foam on the base bolster , I saw them on :ebay: for around £50 unless you know a cheaper source?

Many thanks,
Dan
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Dan,
Sorry, I assumed that you meant the material of the base bolster. However, when I did my seats, I also replaced the same section that needs doing on yours. We definitely managed to get enough material for that piece out of a back seat somewhere. It might have been a rear squab though, it was a few years ago and can't quite remember now. As you are planning to do, I too replaced a worn section of the piping. Well, I say me, but I'm no good at sewing so I did the stripping down and all the donkey work and a friend of mine did the actual craftsman bit.

Good luck!

Andrew.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

The 2 problems you will have is 1st finding a passenger seat to donate the repair cloth from, 2nd then it may not work as the replacement cloth could be a completely different colour to your seats, as the sun fades the cloth more on the sides of the seats that are exposed to the sun, I have repaired many seats and in the house lighting the match looked good only to take it outside in daylight and it did not match, so had to find a better matched bit of cloth. Now I can get brand new genuine ford grey cloth but it would be best to replace most if not all of the top panels to get a perfect match. Now if you are wanting some I can get it and it works out expensive for the small amount of cloth but I am finding out it is now the best and cheapest way of repairing the capri recaro seats and that's the way I am repairing a pair of laser seats at the mo.
mike
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

turbo-mike wrote:The 2 problems you will have is 1st finding a passenger seat to donate the repair cloth from, 2nd then it may not work as the replacement cloth could be a completely different colour to your seats, as the sun fades the cloth more on the sides of the seats that are exposed to the sun, I have repaired many seats and in the house lighting the match looked good only to take it outside in daylight and it did not match, so had to find a better matched bit of cloth. Now I can get brand new genuine ford grey cloth but it would be best to replace most if not all of the top panels to get a perfect match. Now if you are wanting some I can get it and it works out expensive for the small amount of cloth but I am finding out it is now the best and cheapest way of repairing the capri recaro seats and that's the way I am repairing a pair of laser seats at the mo.
mike
Sorry to hijack the thread but if you need Laser trim I have a passenger back rest with good cloth but the seam on the vinyl at the back has come unstitched plus various other laser covers and bits. I would happily swap them for advice about getting the savannah black and piping fixed on my S Recaros.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow for a week but will PM you when I get back.
turbo-mike
Car(s): capri 2.8, focus van, st focus

Post by turbo-mike »

Hi Paul, we can chat when you get back of holiday about your seats, thanks for the offer of your laser seat stuff, but I have bought brand new ford seat cloth for both the outer and inner cloth so basically I am making 2 brand new laser front seats.
mike
Bracey

Post by Bracey »

Hi Mike,
If you've got the cloth available that would be ideal. Can you pm me with prices please?
Thanks
Dan