parcel shelf

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

parcel shelf

Post by Rosco59 »

Is anyone selling a grey parcel shelf in any condition. I seen you can get new ones but thought I would try here first. Thanks
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: parcel shelf

Post by D366Y »

Have you tried Martin (caprigear)?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Yeah tried Martin but doesn't have any.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its probably going to have to be the CCI route then. I'm very pleased with mine, nothing to separate it from the original in looks once the bar, carpet and strings are transferred over.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I just spotted this on you tube might come in handy for anybody

https://youtu.be/zccavy_COKo
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Jon
Car(s): 1986 2.0 Laser

Post by Jon »

A couple of things I think worth mentioning about the club parcel shelf, having recently fitted one -

It comes totally bare so you'll need to transfer everything off your original one. It is also not drilled, which I think is quite poor, so you'll need to drill holes for the rubber seal / strengthening bar, and for the hangers, although you can use your old parts & carpets as templates. I found it easier to reattach the seal with little nuts & bolts rather than muck about with rivets.

The little hanger plastics which sandwich around the shelf didn't seem to want to clip back together on my shelf. I don't know if the club parcel shelf is slightly thicker. I ended up fastening them with silicone. I used epoxy to glue on the rubber pieces on the reverse.

To remove the pivot bar from your old shelf, remove the end pieces and then slide it off, (it may need some persuasion) use this method to fit to the new one. The new shelf has a different arrangement for gripping this bar which is crude but seems to work okay.

When refitting the carpets take note that the small centre piece is slightly smaller than the outside two! I used a spray adhesive although if I was doing it again I would probably use something like copydex.

The recesses in the new shelf seem to be slightly larger, for some reason, so the original carpets don't fill them completely, this might annoy you if you're a perfectionist......
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Thanks for the help I would get a new one but when I bought the car It didn't have a parcel shelf so haven't got any parts to transfer over.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I know that CCI have some, (or certainly used to) in varying states of repair so might be worth giving them a call/

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
malcolmrs2000

Post by malcolmrs2000 »

I think the spare one I have is grey...will try and get to my lockup this week and check/take photos
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Pm sent.
malcolmrs2000

Post by malcolmrs2000 »

PM replied