Wanted! S/S exhaust! Possible janspeed!

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
anicola02
Car(s): Fiat Punto 1.2 16v, 4-2-1 De-cat, Custom air induction (by GSR), 8v flexy pipe, Custom Centre Exhaust, "GO" Interior, Port Polish head and throttle body, 17" Sabre Alloys, AK FK Coilovers, Tinted Windows.... Air Freshener :D

Wanted! S/S exhaust! Possible janspeed!

Post by anicola02 »

Hi guys! Heard janspeed do the best stainless steel exhausts for the 2.0 pinto!
Can't locate these anywhere! Can anyone help? Thanks!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Wanted! S/S exhaust! Possible janspeed!

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Sadly, Janspeed don't make them for the 4 cyl cars anymore.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

As Arya2.0S is finding out, custom made is probably the only S/Steel option for 1.6 and 2.0 Capri's....viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51004
Scorpion, Magnex and Janspeed etc don't cater for many of the older cars now :?

Longlife or Powerflow may be the only option for you. I can recommend my experience with Longlife.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not worth the cost. Ive been quoted £550 (which is "just for the average cat back system" a sales rep told me) from Powerflow, and up to £650 from Hayward and Scott. Long life are still yet to respond to my inquiries.
Both quotes are excessive in my opinion, but if you've got that sort of cash to burn then its your call.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Arya2.0S wrote:Not worth the cost. Ive been quoted £550 (which is "just for the average cat back system" a sales rep told me) from Powerflow, and up to £650 from Hayward and Scott. Long life are still yet to respond to my inquiries.
Both quotes are excessive in my opinion, but if you've got that sort of cash to burn then its your call.
IMO it should be £400 max to build a S/S system for the Capri, it's not complicated is it ? Same with everything nowadays :spank:

Had a Hayward and Scott on my Impreza, really well made system but it was off the shelf ready to fit.

Powerflow are ok but you certainly don't get more 'Power' from them :doh:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

andyd wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Not worth the cost. Ive been quoted £550 (which is "just for the average cat back system" a sales rep told me) from Powerflow, and up to £650 from Hayward and Scott. Long life are still yet to respond to my inquiries.
IMO it should be £400 max to build a S/S system for the Capri, it's not complicated is it ? Same with everything nowadays :spank:

Had a Hayward and Scott on my Impreza, really well made system but it was off the shelf ready to fit.

Powerflow are ok but you certainly don't get more 'Power' from them :doh:
Exactly! If they quoted me £400 i wouldn't think twice, but £550 to £650 is exorbitant, especially when i see old threads in forums from only a couple of years ago and see people got exhausts made by these same people for less than £400! No reason why the price should have increased that much in so little time AND they want the car at the workshop for the whole damn time it takes to build it! F#*k that! I need the car every day and im certainly not gonna leave it at some strangers workshop!
Im forgetting all about this idea and will likely just buy a Sportex system when i need one.
anicola02
Car(s): Fiat Punto 1.2 16v, 4-2-1 De-cat, Custom air induction (by GSR), 8v flexy pipe, Custom Centre Exhaust, "GO" Interior, Port Polish head and throttle body, 17" Sabre Alloys, AK FK Coilovers, Tinted Windows.... Air Freshener :D

Post by anicola02 »

Thanks for the replys guys!
I've gone to pipecraft in wickford/Basildon £400 + vat for a custom S/S system not including the manifold, don't want it over loud just when you give it a bit of grunt. It the guy down there was understanding!
Booked in for Tuesday so I'll let you guys know how I get on!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

anicola02 wrote:I've gone to pipecraft in wickford/Basildon £400 + vat for a custom S/S system not including the manifold
Hi,
Sounds reasonable. in my opinion.
Be sure to ask that the exhaust isn't made with a lower grade of stainless or it won't last. There was a thread on here discussing it, that you might find useful:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=49381&p=331926&hil ... de#p331926

Best to double check before you part with your hard-earned cash!

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

anicola02 wrote:Thanks for the replys guys!
I've gone to pipecraft in wickford/Basildon £400 + vat for a custom S/S system not including the manifold, don't want it over loud just when you give it a bit of grunt. It the guy down there was understanding!
Booked in for Tuesday so I'll let you guys know how I get on!
Are they still open? Are you talking about the one thats supposed to be on Cranes Farm Road? I drove by there today and couldnt see anything...then again it was dark at the time but i still didnt see any signs.
anicola02

Post by anicola02 »

[/quote]Are they still open? Are you talking about the one thats supposed to be on Cranes Farm Road? I drove by there today and couldnt see anything...then again it was dark at the time but i still didnt see any signs.[/quote]

Hi mate yeah they are still open? It's near wickford! Just on some industrial estate, the guy was pretty good at understanding what I was after, (tiny bit of grunt when floored but nothing chavvyish) I'll let yous know how it sounds on Tuesday :) it goes in for a spray Job the following day though Lol
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Is this of any use to anyone? It's a company I actually visit on occasion -

https://www.clampcouk.co.uk/exhaust-rep ... haust.html
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Hi guys, sorry to re-bump an old thread and hi-jack!

I'm looking for a S/S exhaust for my pinto as the CCI/Sportex kit I have had keeps wanting to rust away and I'm getting mildly annoyed with replacing it every 3-5years...

I've been looking for a while and looked into the Powerflow options etc. but they all tell me that they only do from the downpipe back and not manifolds, the only place I've seen online so far that sell S/S manifolds are Burton who want £730 :shock:

My question is; has anyone fitted a S/S kit to a pinto? Is it worth it? (I've had a quote for £350 for downpipe back with lifetime guarantee/warranty which sounds OK??) If I do it do you think I should invest a small fortune in a stainless Manifold/downpipe section, or just suitably protect the current Sportex manifold I have currently and they can work with that...?

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:Hi guys, sorry to re-bump an old thread and hi-jack!

I'm looking for a S/S exhaust for my pinto as the CCI/Sportex kit I have had keeps wanting to rust away and I'm getting mildly annoyed with replacing it every 3-5years...

I've been looking for a while and looked into the Powerflow options etc. but they all tell me that they only do from the downpipe back and not manifolds, the only place I've seen online so far that sell S/S manifolds are Burton who want £730 :shock:

My question is; has anyone fitted a S/S kit to a pinto? Is it worth it? (I've had a quote for £350 for downpipe back with lifetime guarantee/warranty which sounds OK??) If I do it do you think I should invest a small fortune in a stainless Manifold/downpipe section, or just suitably protect the current Sportex manifold I have currently and they can work with that...?

Thanks
Danny
£350 sounds about right for the downpipe back.
In my experience, the downpipes don't normally rust as much as the main system.....You might be able to get your Sportex section treated ?
But as they rust from the inside it could be tricky :?

:goodluck:

anicola02 never did let us know how it went :(
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote:£350 sounds about right for the downpipe back.
In my experience, the downpipes don't normally rust as much as the main system.....You might be able to get your Sportex section treated ?
But as they rust from the inside it could be tricky :?

:goodluck:

anicola02 never did let us know how it went :(
Yeah I thought £350 back was decent! and yeah the main problem I've had is the manifold rusting from inside which is why I was looking at getting a Sstainless manifold; my last one blew a hole between the 3rd and 4th outlet up where the bends are so there was no way to repair without cutting the pipes off welding up the tiny hole and welding the pipes back on so just had to buy a new one :(

And yes, would be very nice if anicola02 could let me know what happened.....

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

I did a lot of research into a replacement stainless steel exhaust for my 2ls, and yes i did say replacement, the old one rusted through, admittedly it was 20 years only but there are lots of grades of stainless steel . Most company's buy in the boxes and bend there own pipe and with my old one it was the pipe that rusted through. In the end I had mine made by Hayward and Scott and it is all hand made on site to the very highest level using 304 stainless. Yes it was a lot of money but when you break it down into time and materials I felt it was fine. Not only is it about the out lay its about how long you plan to keep the car. ImageIMG_1343 by andrew harwood, on FlickrImageIMG_1345 by andrew harwood, on Flickr
andyd

Post by andyd »

Nice looking system, and I can see it's H&S quality.
You get what you pay for, and if you plan keeping the car long term it's a good investment.

CCW Tools do Stainless Steel but only for a few Fords, but might be worth a call....I bought one from them for a XR3i and it was really well made, and made in Devon despite the company being further North. Tel: 01522 888178. https://www.ccw-tools.com/FORD-Stainles ... -5481.aspx
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

It does look lovely but I've just called them and slightly more than I can afford currently....!

Hayward + Scott quoted £600-650 +VAT for the manifold back and the same price again for a manifold so around £15-1600 all in, and CCW said that they are too far away from me but the company that builds the systems for the guy is based in Devon (the company are based in Lincolnshire) hence why they could help you out Andy!

I am looking to keep the car until I drop dead so seems to make sense to invest in one but I am just a tad surprised the mildly insane cost of a manifold :lol:

Cheers
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Have you fitted that Andrew ? Also I was out in mine but got stuck at the road works just before long field hill and i thought I saw the rear end of a black Capri but when I got to meopam it had gone ? But it was a long long way so could have been anything .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: CCW said that they are too far away from me but the company that builds the systems for the guy is based in Devon (the company are based in Lincolnshire) hence why they could help you out Andy!

Cheers
Strange!!!
When I ordered mine it wasn't until I gave them my address, that they told me where the systems were made and it was shipped to me anyway,
and me and a mate fitted it at home :?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Hayward + Scott quoted £600-650 +VAT for the manifold back and the same price again for a manifold so around £15-1600 all in
Interesting, as the Janspeed stainless system (manifold back) for the 2.8 is only £546 and there is twice as much of it! OK, it's off the shelf and not custom made, but still......

Andrew.