Steering Wheel

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
speedingboris

Steering Wheel

Post by speedingboris »

Hi Guys

Does any one know how to remove steering wheel of Mk3? There is an odd looking bolt holding it up and I can't work out how to unscrew it. Haynes bible is not being much help either. Any ideas?

Also am getting a new steering wheel from e-bay (there is one there for 37) I know CCI do an 80 re-trim job but that's a bit expensive does any one know of any other ones I can get on a budget?
capri_turbo

steering wheel removal

Post by capri_turbo »

prise out the centre bit with the "ford" badge on it and look down the hole... you'll see a big nut (think it's 24mm) this holds the wheel onto the column. Simply undo this nut, but, and this is important... leave it on the last few threads as you'll need to apply some force behind the wheel to remove it and it'll smack you in the face... leaving the nut on a few turns prevents a broken nose and 2 black eyes...Image

A Capri is for life... NOT just for Christmas
speedingboris

Re: steering wheel removal

Post by speedingboris »

Thanks for that broken nose would have gone down a treat with the misus but the nut on mu car is round with a dip in the middle. I once read somewhere that you are supposed to use a drill bit to get it out but that did not make much sense to me.
SpikeCapri

Re: steering wheel removal

Post by SpikeCapri »

just use a socke set with an extension piece---------

RING RING RING RING RING RING BANANAPHONE
no2lurch
Car(s): BMW e30 325i Touring

or a wheel brace

Post by no2lurch »

i use one. good leverage.Image
Please sponsor me in the Wolverhampton Half Marathon on 6th September 2009 and the Leicester Full Marathon on 11th October 2009 at http://www.justgiving.com/neildalby All money goes to SANDS in memory of our angels. Thank you.
Stefan Capri
Car(s): 1983 Ford Capri S 2.9 EFI

it should come undone fine with a socket set

Post by Stefan Capri »

and a extender bar, worked for me fine, and i mush have been lucky, no broken nose and 2 black eyes

.....stefanImage
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Sounds like

Post by nigecapri »

you might be thinking about the anti-tamper screws that hold the steering lock mechanism/ignition barrel etc. under the plastic cover.
Main wheel nut is as said, under the ford badge in centre of wheel.
tck
Car(s): 2.8 Turbo, 2.8 special.

to remove it

Post by tck »

you need to find a mate whos built like a Gorilla!..Ive failed to remove a couple without having to resort to a BIG hammer (windscreen removed of course)....the buggers can be so tight sometimes!..(and its 22mm by the way not 24MM)...as said, leave the nuts on a couple of threads, then bang it with BOTH ands from behind..9 times out of ten they will pop off the splines!
SpikeCapri

Re: to remove it

Post by SpikeCapri »

yeah, i pulled on it for ages and by the time i was done i was knackered :')

Seriosly though, the idea to leave nut on a few threads is a good idea, wish i'd have thought of it, got away unscathed but the fear was there---------

RING RING RING RING RING RING BANANAPHONE
speedingboris

Post by speedingboris »

Thank you all

will have a go this weekend and let you know

if get a black eye will post pictures!
cooltina

Post by cooltina »

Undo nut, leave on 3 or 4 turns then whack the face of the wheel with both hands (from the top) moving round, 3 & 9, then 6 & 12 ect, never not had one come off this way and i strip fords for a living.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by 80s-new-man »

It’s an older thread, but I’m trying to see a way to actually undo the nut. If I try and undo it with a 22mm socket the wheel will just try and go round. If I try and whack it with the steering lock on, I’m afraid I’ll bust the steering lock…
How do I start!

Thanks
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Basically grip it as hard as you can, maybe wedge your knee into the wheel and use a long bar on your socket! Maybe you hold the wheel with both hands and knees and someone else undoes the nut. I don`t think they`re as tight as you might expect but IIRC they have a toothed serration underneath to stop coming loose and that takes a bit of torque to overcome. (but you`re probably right - don`t use the steering lock?)

Oh, and leave the nut on when you`ve loosened it otherwise you`ll pull the wheel off and punch yourself in the mouth. I know.
Last edited by stevemarl on Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s-new-man wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:12 pm How do I start
I see what you mean about damaging the lock, as I'm wary of that myself.
When I did mine, I think I just held the steering wheel with my hand to stop it turning.
Once you've got the nut loosened, don't fully take it off. You may need to tug the steering wheel quite hard to get it off the splines, and you really don't want to whack yourself in the face !
:goodluck:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Great minds Andrew :D :D :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:30 pm Great minds Andrew :D :D :D
One great mind and one copycat. I'm the copycat, of course !
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

My experience is that with a longer wrench the steering lock will cope with the torque. I can't guarantee it though😉
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

80s-new-man wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:12 pm It’s an older thread, but I’m trying to see a way to actually undo the nut. If I try and undo it with a 22mm socket the wheel will just try and go round. If I try and whack it with the steering lock on, I’m afraid I’ll bust the steering lock…
How do I start!

Thanks

Jeez, I know they say the planet's resources are running low, but you are still allowed to compose a new thread! We're not running out of server space yet.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The steering lock is a ¼inch slab of steel that fits into a slot on the steering stem at a point where its about an inch in diameter...... I doubt that you would damage that .
I think I just wound the wheel to full lock and then leaned on the nut . As above ,they aint that tight .
After the spline there is a tapered shoulder and I spose its possible that the wheel may lock on to this taper but its about 45 deg so not that likely , just dont swing on it when you refit the wheel .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

For reference, the steering wheel retaining nut should be tightened to 27 to 34 Nm.

Andrew.