Fuel issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Fuel issue

Post by Mr B »

So goes to start my car up today, she cranks over but nothing- she won't go, removed air cleaner and no petrol being shot out of the squirters when pulling throttle, now I know the car had petrol in her when I last used her around 4 weeks ago so she's not out of petrol, no petrol showing in the see through fuel filter between the fuel pump and the Carburettor, in the end I had to disconnect the fuel line from the pump, got another pump and manually pumped it until fuel was drawn up from the tank, I then reconnected the fuel line to the cars pump and within a few seconds of cranking off she went and is now fine, this is second time this has happened recently on 2 different cars, same engine- 3 litre Essex, anyone else been having this problem?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Fuel issue

Post by Mc Tool »

Nah mate , just you πŸ˜†
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Presumably you have a 38dgas? I run one on my 2.0 and until I bought a new carb I found the old was prone to the fuel vanishing from the system if left for even only a few days. Never could figure out why unfortunately.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

I have an essex engine in my car and it has a manual fuel pump.
If i leave the car for say 3 weeks it wont start straight away.i have to pump the pedal at least 15 times to get the fuel up .so if it is left for that long i dont even turn it over until ive pumped it.
If i start it up within 3 days it starts straight away.
tazla

Post by tazla »

I have an essex engine in my car and it has a manual fuel pump.
If i leave the car for say 3 weeks it wont start straight away.i have to pump the pedal at least 15 times to get the fuel up .so if it is left for that long i dont even turn it over until ive pumped it.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

tazla wrote: ↑Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm I have an essex engine in my car and it has a manual fuel pump.
How does that work then? Pumping the pedal surely just operates the accelerator pump diaphragm?
If the carb is empty that'll make no odds?
Unless you're not meaning the throttle pedal?
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Bug wrote: ↑Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 pm How does that work then? Pumping the pedal surely just operates the accelerator pump diaphragm?
If the carb is empty that'll make no odds?

Exactly what I was thinking, there has to be fuel in the carb to begin with, for the pumping-pedal to have an effect.

Surely turning the car over using the starter for a few seconds first, to get the mechanical pump to provide fuel to the carb, and then pumping the pedal, will give the desired effect. And it won't need to be 15 times, surely that is excessive?

When all is set correctly, including the all important choke, even after not driving for a couple of weeks (i.e. fuel evaporated), cranking for several seconds will often be enough for my car to start first time. And if not, once fuel is in the carb, pumping the pedal to operate the accelerator pump makes it much easier.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Haha i honestly thought by pumping the pedal it would get the petrol up from the tank .ffs ive always done this since i had the car lol.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:43 am Nah mate , just you πŸ˜†
After the day I've had today I'd have to agree with you but a Cadburys Boost is slightly rippled with a flat underside if that helps at all ...
Last edited by Mr B on Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Peter-S wrote: ↑Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:46 am Presumably you have a 38dgas? I run one on my 2.0 and until I bought a new carb I found the old was prone to the fuel vanishing from the system if left for even only a few days. Never could figure out why unfortunately.
Hi Peter,

No it's a 390 Holley on this car but the other car that this happened on has an almost new dgas on her, I wonder if the diaphragm in the fuel pump is drying out somehow πŸ€”
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

390 holley , might have one sticky float valve ,on the primary side. They do take a bit of priming if they are dry coz of the two float chambers . Letrik fuel pumps are the go , doesnt have to be flash . I have been using a budget facet pump . Still doesnt explain why its dry though . If it was evaporating because its sitting on a hot motor it would do it every time it had been sitting over night .
Is your 390 a double pumper? Most only have accelerator pump on the primary side.
I dont like chocolate .,.except peanut slabs 😁
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:09 am 390 holley , might have one sticky float valve ,on the primary side. They do take a bit of priming if they are dry coz of the two float chambers . Letrik fuel pumps are the go , doesnt have to be flash . I have been using a budget facet pump . Still doesnt explain why its dry though . If it was evaporating because its sitting on a hot motor it would do it every time it had been sitting over night .
Is your 390 a double pumper? Most only have accelerator pump on the primary side.
I dont like chocolate .,.except peanut slabs 😁
1 accelerator pump on the primary side mate, once she was up and running all was fine but it knocked the bollocks out the battery- a good battery as well.

Does that Facet pump need a fuel pressure regulator as well?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Mine doesn't have a reg . I think the max pressure is 3-4.5 psi ,at 30 gallons per hour , and cost me about $90 . There are others that pump 6-9psi for carbs . I cant remember what fuel pressure the holley likes but this pump set up hasn't given me any issues.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:31 am I think the max pressure is 3-4.5 psi ,
I think that`s about the same as the mechanical pump, but obviously it will have filled the float by the time you turn the starter, problem solved!. (You don`t want too much pressure for a carb as it could cause flooding if needle valve`s not 100%)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I had a small leak around my fuel pump that was pick up ( Tickover ) on its service and the strange thing it was checked by the same person only four months ago . Had a new gasket and spacer . Also passed its MOT for the year .
So it’s worth checking all is ok down there , and your fuel lines :lol: :lol: .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: