Reverse Light Plug

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Reverse Light Plug

Post by EightyFive »

Has anyone got a picture of what the reverse light plug is supposed to look like? (At the gearbox end)

Looking at the replacement switches on ebay it looks like two ‘prongs’ stick out the back, but when I look at my plug there is just a small spring in the middle, and looks too shallow. Is this correct? Can’t see how this would connect to the replacement switch to be honest.

Thanks!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Reverse Light Plug

Post by pbar »

I changed mine some time ago, looks like the pic below. I think different gearboxes had different switches and therefore different connectors, might be a clue as to why your current connector might not match?

Last edited by pbar on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

pbar wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:28 pm I changed mine some time ago, looks like the pic below.

Sorry the plug, not the switch itself.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Sorry my misunderstanding. Think it's something similar to this.

EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Strange, mine looks like that from the outside but in the middle just has a small spring in the centre. I’m starting to think that the bottom of the switch is stuck inside the plug/ connector.

Just out of Curiosity what are those connectors called? Just in case I have to end up buying one.

Thanks for the help!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

EightyFive wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm ’m starting to think that the bottom of the switch is stuck inside the plug/ connector.
You`re absolutely right! When I pulled my `plug` off the switch I couldn`t work out how it went back. It was as yiu suspect, the top plastic section of the switch (which is only held by the metal being crimped) had come off with the plug. If you`re lucky you may be able to salvage. There should be a metal disc about 1cm D which sits beneath the spring and effects a contact, this may have dropped out.

" what are those connectors called?" Reverse switch plugs for Capris I guess, AFAIK they are specific to Ford? THe connector will be OK, if you need anything it will be a new switch assy.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:33 pm
EightyFive wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm ’m starting to think that the bottom of the switch is stuck inside the plug/ connector.
You`re absolutely right! When I pulled my `plug` off the switch I couldn`t work out how it went back. It was as yiu suspect, the top plastic section of the switch (which is only held by the metal being crimped) had come off with the plug. If you`re lucky you may be able to salvage. There should be a metal disc about 1cm D which sits beneath the spring and effects a contact, this may have dropped out.

" what are those connectors called?" Reverse switch plugs for Capris I guess, AFAIK they are specific to Ford? THe connector will be OK, if you need anything it will be a new switch assy.
Phew. I’ll dig the remains of the old assembly out of the connector and fit a new switch. Feel like I bit of an idiot now but atleast it’s a straight forward fix!
pbar

Post by pbar »

EightyFive wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:08 pm Thanks for the help!

Cheers, you're welcome :) If you did need another connector let me know, I'm sure I can find the seller of the one in the pic, you can ask them for the sizes of the terminals etc. to see if it would fit, alternatively might be better to ask Martin first at CapriGear if he has one.

Hopefully you can retrieve yours though. You don't have to worry about 'feeling like an idiot' on this forum by the way. Besides, these old cars are like magician's magic tricks, they are only easy when you know how it's done, up until then it is a complete mystery! Good luck with the connector.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

:agree: As Paul says. I`m not exactly new to this but I spent several hours looking at workshop manuals, Haynes etc, trying to figure out why my plug looked nothing like in the pictures. Eventually realizing that 1/2 the switch was still stuck in it! If you can find the disc, the only internal parts are that and the spring. You should find that all the bits actually clip back together quite easily, just put a bit of Araldite/JB Weld around the join, push back together and it should work. Well that`s what I did anyway, but I`m a tight-arsed bastard!!!