Rear light problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Rear light problem

Post by D366Y »

Hi all,

My drivers rear brake light is playing silly buggers. It works when I press the brake pedal down, but not when I put the sidelight/headlights on. I thought it would be a cracked cluster or something so bought a new one from Martin that arrived today so changed it over and still the same problem - any ideas of what else could be causing it??

Also, lucky I have two phones so I could video call myself to check it was/wasn't working!!

Cheers
Danny
Attachments
Screenshot_20210827_125052_com.whatsapp.jpg
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Rear light problem

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: ↑Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:00 pm Also, lucky I have two phones so I could video call myself to check it was/wasn't working!!

What a great one man method of checking the function of the rear lights!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Its only supposed to work when you press the brake pedal , not when you turn the head/side lights on . Are your blinkers playing up too πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.
The two tail lights are on different fuses which may explain why only one side is playing up. Try taking the tail light bulb out of the faulty side ,turn tail lights on and try the brake light again . Might be an earth issue 😊
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: ↑Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:51 pm
D366Y wrote: ↑Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:00 pm Also, lucky I have two phones so I could video call myself to check it was/wasn't working!!

What a great one man method of checking the function of the rear lights!
I rather thought so too!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:05 pm Its only supposed to work when you press the brake pedal , not when you turn the head/side lights on . Are your blinkers playing up too πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.
The two tail lights are on different fuses which may explain why only one side is playing up. Try taking the tail light bulb out of the faulty side ,turn tail lights on and try the brake light again . Might be an earth issue 😊
I'd forgotten they were on different fuses... Will give it a look when I can.

If I take the bulb out of the faulty side and turn it on how will I know whether it works or not Hamish?? :lol:
The other side always works fine anyways, the bulb definitely works as I've tested it on the working side
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

I cant remember what the car was but a couple of years ago, a bloke at work fitted a new 5w-21w stop & tail bulb, standard bayonet fitting & had a simliar issue.

Somebody then suggested he turn the bulb 180 Degrees & re fit, to his surprise it worked, I think it was something to do with the contacts on the bottom of the bulb.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The dual filament bulbs can only be fitted the correct way around. The little stud things are in a slightly different location on each side.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , you would think Andrew , but a sloppy socket and a undersize bulb and a bit of impatient persuasion and it can be done .
D366y .....I had forgotten they are a dual filament bulb . My car ... some one has rewired the tail lights so the rear fog lamp is now another brake light , coz we dont have rear fogs here, we have them on the front ( still not sure whats the best ). I went mental trying to figure out why I didnt have wires for (front) fogs despite there being a fog light switch , untill the penny dropped :doh:
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi D366Y

Did this problem occur after you had changed a bulb?

I'm sure you knew that, on a double-filament bulb on a Capri and any other car of this era, the locating pins are diametrically opposite but are at different lengths from the contact face, as in the photo.

A couple of months ago I discovered that on my Mondeo (Don't laugh!) when I tried to replace a brake light bulb the pins are not only different lengths from the contact face they are not diametrically opposite but off-set around its circumference. At first glance this minor difference is not immediately apparent.
I managed to get an older bulb into the Mondeo housing but it obviously didn't work as it should. :headscratch:
Then someone told me about the difference. :doh:

Have you tried to use a later type bulb? (Just asking.)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Hi guys,

I have tried a new bulb and like Andrew says the bulb only fits into the housing one way so know that isn't the issue, and I've tried a brand new bulb ( same problem) and the same bulb in the other side which worked fine so I know the bulb isn't at fault.

I will try and look tomorrow but in truth I've been rather distracted the last few days

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Cheers
Danny
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah , yes , work is the curse of the drinking man 😁
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:17 pm but a sloppy socket and a undersize bulb and a bit of impatient persuasion
Stop airing your personal problems on a public forum, please! :xd:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Problem solved!
Drove the car yesterday and checked it when I got back, weirdly the drivers side light was now working and the passenger wasn't... Anyway, changed fuse 3 and 4 over, problem solved.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Result, nice easy & cheap fix ;)