Newbeeeee .....engine size change 1.6 to2.0

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Newbeeeee .....engine size change 1.6 to2.0

Post by Major_Tom »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:06 pm
Major_Tom wrote: ↑Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:54 pm I thrash mine 100mph all day long, drums and solid discs, can't remember what pads, brakes fine, very rarely get brake fade. Rarely as in once in ten years and I was trying to keep up with an Impreza. As said just make sure everything is good nick.
Yeah ,I could well believe that Tom πŸ˜†except for the 100mph bit . The thing is with capris is that the handling is so bad youd need big balls to find out the brakes are crap too. πŸ˜† Got wipers on the side windows Tom ?.....or did you go for the lump of concrete in the boot ?😁
No, ton all the way! Mine handles like its on rails. Unless there is the tiniest formation of dew on the road, then its just a handful.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Well I havnt driven mine for a couple of years now but it was fine in a straight line at speed but I dunno that Id wanna try pokin round corners at any great speed . Mine did an indicated 125 mph but realistically I say 105 maybe 110 mph would be more like it. Thing is ya get used to the foibles, like there is this not quite 180 deg turn up the road a bit , apex of corner is at the top of the hill ( driving blind for a good bit ) ,posted at 80kmh but I can get round it in the Blade at twice that now worries , ah but the capri, took a lot of practice (its on the way home ) to get close . I have sussed the point (that varies with speed )at which the crapwheel switches from understeer to oversteer , very disconcerting for others in the car ( who are already shitting themselves ) if you dont warn them (I never did 😁)......I have never solicited a scream from a passenger but there have been some pretty big gasps ( if they all do it at once my ears pop )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

I've had a few screams and a few tears in the rally cammed two litre :lol: last one was racing a Seat then a modded Range Rover Sport joined in. The Range Rover driver was absolutely pissing himself with laughter. My girlfriend was not though, forgot she doesnt like it as much as me.

Mine handles great, puts a lot of the modern stuff to shame. Honestly, some guys can't believe this battered old Ford sticking to their bumper around roundabouts and overtaking them on winding roads. The look on their faces when you show them the tiny old pinto inside is great, one guy with a modified Civic type R looked like he was going to cry when I showed him the flaky old rocker cover under my rusty bonnet. I've never seen anyone look so crestfallen. Naturally I rubbed it in, like reverse top trumps, "oh, 16 valves have you? I've got 8. Aluminium head is it? Ah, well there you go, mine's made of iron.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Only ever really had one issue with Capri brakes and even then it was my fault.

Had a 2.8 injection, removed the Cologne V6 and dropped a 350 Chevy in there, lightly modified - well by American standards and nearly 500bhp so far so good....

If you can imagine point A is the starting point and point B is the mid point with point C being the end.

2.8 Injection starts at point A and by point B I'm doing say 60mph I then hit the brakes and come to a stop at point C...happy days but I made the schoolboy error of doing the same calculation for the Chevy powered Capri the big difference being that by point B I'm doing nearly 120mph but still only have the same amount of distance to stop as before and I was running on standard 2.8 brakes....needless to say I didn't stop and point C was and still is a red traffic signal, I hurtled through the RED traffic light feet jammed on the brakes and luckily for me it was a Sunday and not much traffic around, the brakes just utterly faded but not the cars fault, moral of the story: leave the brakes alone and leave more distance between point B and point C :lol:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Ha ha ha , I had similar , going to Vincent County bike rally on my FZ750 ( early 90's ), mate Poo had to leave his bike in Gore ( due to the fact he seemed to think routine maintinance should be done on the side of the road in the middle of fucking nowhere 🀬) , but anyhows as we get near Rae's Junction , big looooong straight with a T intersection at the end , so I thinks Ill put the shits up my passenger so I gives it a good wind up to about 220k's ,he's thumping me between the shoulders and hollerin ,so I leaves the braking good and late and as we approach the rock wall I realise " fuck! this is going to be close " at about the same time I start thinkin about how much this cnut weighs as he's pushed up against my back .......we pulled up straight with just enough room left to turn right towards Rae's Junction pub which was not 50m away . Well he was in a bit of a state , felt a bit mean actually but then he regained composure and in a few short but noisey seconds I wasnt feelin that sorry about it , still spilt a good bit of his pint before he got back to the table tho 🀣
Bud6200
Car(s): 85 Laser 2.0 just acquired ...to be for days out and the odd daily drive

Post by Bud6200 »

Many thanks guys for all your comments and advice.The old girl :ford: will definitely not be used for track day/race days . She will be used for shows , Sunday driving/cruising and the occasional daily driver when nice weather permits. :drive: ....The whole brake system will be getting a complete overhaul even though it is reasonable at the moment , and yes I know how twitchy they can be from past experience. Thanks for the recommendations for part shops and had already found Tickover and thought their prices were very reasonable indeed.Just a couple of quick questions , what size tyres would be original spec for these , yes they are the original 13" Laser alloys , but what profile and width would they have been and is there a specific haynes manual for the Mk 111 or will I have to make do with the Mk11 (including series 3 ) as per below link from ebay.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-1 ... Sw815gVfZU
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

185-70-13 .
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

There are various excellent Capri manuals but yes, that is the Haynes you need, as per your link.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 am There are various excellent Capri manuals but yes, that is the Haynes you need, as per your link.
I found this Haynes the other day which I think I'll need to invest in!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sex-Haynes-E ... %3A2334524
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Post by Vermilion »

pbar wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 am There are various excellent Capri manuals but yes, that is the Haynes you need, as per your link.
Haynes is perfect for standard users.
IF you want repair power steering rack or rear axle gear ratio change, I suggest getting whole service manual.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Vermilion wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:01 pm
Haynes is perfect for standard users.
IF you want repair power steering rack or rear axle gear ratio change, I suggest getting whole service manual.
Cool , which particular service manual ?,got a link ? πŸ˜€
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

D366Y wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 pm
I found this Haynes the other day which I think I'll need to invest in!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sex-Haynes-E ... %3A2334524
I think I'm covered as well. Or am I too late :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midlife-Cris ... 1195.m1851
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 pm Cool , which particular service manual ?,got a link ? πŸ˜€
This one, I would assume.
https://www.brooklandsbooks.co.uk/produ ... 1974-1987/

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Two Capri manuals which I really like, are the SP Manual and the Autodata one. These two, along with the Haynes, make a nice set.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:27 pm
Mc Tool wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 pm Cool , which particular service manual ?,got a link ? πŸ˜€
This one, I would assume.
https://www.brooklandsbooks.co.uk/produ ... 1974-1987/

Andrew.
I have seen this one before but amazon tell me they cant deliver to my address , which is dumb coz I have bought books offa them before , so it might be a hassle to get but if you think is better ( for a mk3 ) I will get one .......so wadda ya reckon 😁
Edit , they aint got one now anyway but thanks for the lead Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Brooklands one Andrew linked to is the official Ford produced workshop manual, so about as definitive as you can get. They`ve just re-formatted it so it`s got 2 pages of the original on each single page of this version - which doed make the print very small! But it does cover everything in the minutest detail, inc the injection supplements.
The Autodata one Paul mentioned is a good one too, but it`s not meant to cover in such depth. (dismantling for each type of gearbox for eg)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:26 pm which does make the print very small! But it does cover everything in the minutest detail,
Literally ! :lol:

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:57 pm I have seen this one before but amazon tell me they cant deliver to my address
Try Amazon or Ebay, there's some for sale on both sites.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I wouldn't have thought the Paul (who began this thread) would get as much satisfaction or use from the Ford manual, don't think he is after taking gearboxes apart, etc. so the SP manual and the Autodata ones will be of far more interest and use, I would think. Certainly, especially earlier on, I found the SP manual to have better explanations that the Haynes, with very clean and neat illustrations.

More talk of manuals here -

viewtopic.php?t=53434

And the SP one -

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:57 pm I have seen this one before but amazon tell me they cant deliver to my address
If it's any help, this Ebay seller posts worldwide:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Factory-Work ... SwVu5gDWhv

Andrew.