rear quarter window sealing

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: rear quarter window sealing

Post by andyd »

Looks like the foam type material between the trim and the glass is damaged, so maybe replacing that might sort it?
brooky
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.0 Laser and XR4x4i.

Post by brooky »

Thanks for the photo Peter, does yours have a rubber seal on the inside or is it a bed of sealant straight onto the frame recess.
brooky
Donator
Donator

Post by brooky »

Just saw your reply Andy, mine is bedded onto sealant, so should there be a foam gasket at the back which would in effect bring the glass a few mm further out or are you saying the outside trim should have some foam on it where it touches the glass
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

There is not a foam gasket, it’s just a good mastic bed. Ford used to make a kit, it was like mastic but cured with a voltage . There are very small plastic packers that lift the glass off the quarter panel and you just push it back until the window trim sits flush. The mastic is hidden by the black vinyl detail around the glass. The mastic that you use now is the stuff bonded windscreens are fitted with
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

brooky wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:44 pm Just saw your reply Andy, mine is bedded onto sealant, so should there be a foam gasket at the back which would in effect bring the glass a few mm further out or are you saying the outside trim should have some foam on it where it touches the glass
I've arrowed the piece on Peters picture. Looks like its between the platic trim and the rubber/ silicone bead?
DSC-0442_LI.jpg
Yours seems damaged which might be an issue? Never really looked or fitted that trim so can't be any help :sorry:
brooky
Donator
Donator

Post by brooky »

Just had a good look at it. On the other side, the vertical trim allows the horizontal trim to go up to the glass, on the passenger side the horizontal trim is overlapping the vertical trim hence why it cant go right up to the glass so i need to take the trim off, does it just price off?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

brooky wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:28 am Just had a good look at it. On the other side, the vertical trim allows the horizontal trim to go up to the glass, on the passenger side the horizontal trim is overlapping the vertical trim hence why it cant go right up to the glass so i need to take the trim off, does it just price off?
Here is a picture of the underside. It slots in on tabs so you need to pull it towards you to get it out. Best protect the paintwork first. The end near the door is riveted so would need drilling out. The other end slots in to the top trim and is held by a screw accessible by removing the trim from inside the car. It's probably best to remove the top and bottom sections as one. The top is also held by screws under the interior trim.

ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
brooky
Donator
Donator

Post by brooky »

Thanks peter, thats really helpful and definitely not covered to this detail in the old Haynes
Cheers

Mark
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry looks like I am late to the party as it’s all been answered , yes that’s a stunning Laser you have now as it was Chris’s not like him to get things wrong but it is wrong .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
brooky
Donator
Donator

Post by brooky »

Its not something Chris has done, the windows were sealed with mastic so they were left alone when he did rest of car. I am happy to sort this out now in the summer, its not leaking or anything but hes made such a good job of the rest of the car I want to make sure anything like this doesnt spoil it.