Oil pressure

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Vermilion
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Oil pressure

Post by Vermilion »

Hello, I have some issued with oil pressure.

The patient is 2.8 V6. Driven 7.000km since last restoration.
Since I had some issues with oil I used before I changed Mobil Peak life 5w-50 to Castrol Super Car 10w-60 and gave some extra ZDDP additive.
I removed oil cooler and doubled the engine breathing capasity.

Now when reving up a bit and returning to low rpm my oil pressure light starts blinking.
I think issue might be that upper part of engine eats up too much oil and it takes time to get back to oil pan.

Oil pump is high volyme pump melling that has been shimmed with one 1.5mm washer to give higher oil pressure.

Head have 6.3mm oil channels to rockers and i was thinking if I could restric the oil volyme to rockers.
What do you think of reducing oil to top? 6.3mm to => 4,5mm or something like that?

I have also biggest possible oil filter to add oil capasity. (0,6l volume), smaller one/has 0,25l capasity

Oil pressure is somewhere between 2 to 6kg/cm2, when engine is hot.
2 kg = 1200-1700rpm
6kg = 4000-600rpm

Oil capasity is something like 5l

Ideas/thoughts?

Atleast Essex had flooding problems at head, so I was thinking about this too.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Oil pressure

Post by Peter-S »

My initial thought is if you have removed the oil cooler the oil is running hotter with a lower viscosity. I don't know if 60w compensates for that. My feeling is Ford thought the cooler necessary so maybe that is the problem but I'm no expert on that side of things.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Peter-S wrote: ↑Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm My initial thought is if you have removed the oil cooler the oil is running hotter with a lower viscosity. I don't know if 60w compensates for that. My feeling is Ford thought the cooler necessary so maybe that is the problem but I'm no expert on that side of things.
Need to add that I am using E85 and that burns lots of colder and I am using Harland Sharp roller rockers.
http://harlandsharp.com/STYLES.html
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Id replace the oil pressure light sender just to eliminate it. You'd think that they would be more reliable but Ive had more crook oil pressure warning systems than actual oil pressure problems . Its also possible that your relief valve isn't closing properly . You say the light blinks ....what does the gauge do ?. I think that if the oil level in the pan dropped low enough ( 5l stuck up in the heads ........nah 😁)to trip low pressure light ...it would be on continuously. Usually a blinking or flickering oil light is a dicky sender or you are in fact hovering right on the tripping point of the sender,at this stage I would get a diagnostic oil pressure gauge and verify that you actually have an oil pressure issue. Most standard car oil pressure gauges are shite accuracy wise.πŸ™‚
If you are hell bent on ditching the oil cooler you should monitor oil temp too. Ford dont go wasting money on oil coolers they dont need ....Id hook it back up πŸ˜‰πŸ™‚
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Vermilion

Post by Vermilion »

Mc Tool wrote: ↑Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:00 pm Id replace the oil pressure light sender just to eliminate it. You'd think that they would be more reliable but Ive had more crook oil pressure warning systems than actual oil pressure problems . Its also possible that your relief valve isn't closing properly . You say the light blinks ....what does the gauge do ?. I think that if the oil level in the pan dropped low enough ( 5l stuck up in the heads ........nah 😁)to trip low pressure light ...it would be on continuously. Usually a blinking or flickering oil light is a dicky sender or you are in fact hovering right on the tripping point of the sender,at this stage I would get a diagnostic oil pressure gauge and verify that you actually have an oil pressure issue. Most standard car oil pressure gauges are shite accuracy wise.πŸ™‚
If you are hell bent on ditching the oil cooler you should monitor oil temp too. Ford dont go wasting money on oil coolers they dont need ....Id hook it back up πŸ˜‰πŸ™‚
I am using adjustable oil pressure gauge.... and stock oil pressure gauge.
I was thinking if roller rockers leak more than stock... 6.3mm whole per head with 6kg/cm2 gives quite alot oil....
I don't have oil temperature gauge though but engine coolan't goes around 86 degree when highway and in idle maybe 90 degrees.

https://gyazo.com/cdf17322a53bb129eb1e74455757da09
https://gyazo.com/1a6669b504a0917478e25a5fecf7160f
https://gyazo.com/b9467a5db5325ea94ef2c6e42afd3377
https://gyazo.com/3d1bfb57351473d360b820effe3efe08
https://gyazo.com/7b706ce6d7abd7428782ec6f5d0ee6cc
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Those rockers look to be bushed on the shaft ....rather than needle rollered so Im thinkin that they probly would be about the same as stock leakage wise. I know peeps do fit restrictors in oil feeds to the head when running needled rockers....not so much to restrict flow ( which they do ) but more to maintain oil pressure at the bearings. I think bushed rockers would want decent oil pressure .
I had a honda v4 750 that I rebuilt and it was all goodies untill I fitted an oil pressure gauge ......nearly did my head in , when hot the gauge didnt move off zero at idle ( the stock oil light stayed off ) but add 500 rpm and I had 20lb, and by 2 grand I had 50. I took the gauge off . Similarly my Guzzi (also full of new bearings ect ) I set idle fast enough to stop light flickering .......it will idle at about 400rpm if you want but I usually set it about 8-900 rpm
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh