Interior Light

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mrbaboon1985
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Interior Light

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Any idea where to start where the interior light isn't coming on when the door opens.

It works manually but has stopped turning on when the door opens.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Interior Light

Post by stevemarl »

Simples, it`ll be the door switches, one screw and they pull out from the door pillar. Try touching the wire to the body, if light comes on the switch is faulty (may be worth trying switch cleaner/WD before seeing Martin about new ones?)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I did read that the Ford KA uses the same switch, if so you should be able to buy them new still too.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

It does look to be the same, but I doubt you`d find it cheaper than this anyway? (Expected it to be more for a Capri ;) )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-SPB402 ... Swq2NeJYPm
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I had a similar problem - mine was the connection on the light itself that had oxidised so took it out, cleaned up the contacts on the inside of the light holder and the bulb and worked again.

Could be that when being used manually and you flip the switch over that side works OK but the 'automatic' side of the light that comes on when the door opens is corroded/oxidised slightly?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Thanks all I'll take a look this afternoon πŸ‘πŸ»
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

D366Y wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:48 am Could be that when being used manually and you flip the switch over that side works OK but the 'automatic' side of the light that comes on when the door opens is corroded/oxidised slightly?
That`s also a very good point to check. Thankfully all these switches etc are really simple and respond well to a bit of sandpaper/switch cleaner. No canbus here!!!
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

Problem found its the door switches themselves. Passenger side doesn't pop out when door open and drivers side doesn't seem to trigger it but all the other checks it comes on. Thanks all
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mrbaboon1985 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:02 pm Problem found its the door switches themselves. Passenger side doesn't pop out when door open and drivers side doesn't seem to trigger it but all the other checks it comes on. Thanks all
WD40 on the switch to make it pop out - or the spring inside may need changing if it is too old/shagged.
If the driver's side doesn't work may be an electrical/connection issue on the pop-out bit itself?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Mrbaboon1985

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

I tried the WD40 it didn't do much. I ordered 2 new ones for about 6 quid so hopefully that will solve the problem then 😊
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mrbaboon1985 wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:32 pm I tried the WD40 it didn't do much. I ordered 2 new ones for about 6 quid so hopefully that will solve the problem then 😊
You used to be able to get a little inline resistor gadget that you simply connected between one of the door switches and the loom, which would give you a delay. So when you shut the door the light gradually faded out over a few seconds. Only needed it on one switch, irrespective of which door opened it still worked. Not sure if you can still get them though?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I got one of them decades ago, still working in the Fiat. Pretty sure I remember getting it from `Charlie Browns` if anyone remembers them? A big chain like a B&Q for cars. All Kwik Fits now. No-one buys accessories for their PCH Fiesta I guess, it`s all fitted. Sad though. I remember my brother spending a morning fitting a clock in his first car, a J reg pre-facelift. Happy days!
Edit: just had a look on ebay and can`t see anything similar , just standard relay types.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:33 am It does look to be the same
Yes, and isn't that great. Makes you wonder if other Capri parts may be still current and lingering in modern Ford vehicles.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

More than likely ford are still buying door switches off the same supplier.......spark plugs havnt changed much either πŸ˜€
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Some things are just such simple yet brilliant designs they can`t really be improved on. The incandescant light bulb, although new sales are now banned by the EU for domestic use, is still the standard in cars and in principal goes right back to the 1880s! That`s some achievment.
Come to think of it, his other invention, the phongram, recording sound in a groove, is even making a comeback. How can one person invent so many things????
Paul Domoney
Car(s): Ford Capri mk1 GT 1972

Post by Paul Domoney »

Any idea where I can obtain the interior courtesy light for my MK1 Capri. They have both disintegrated and do not seem to be available. Otherwise assuming that these were quite common to other cars of the era is it possible to get something to fit?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul Domoney wrote: ↑Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:49 pm Any idea where I can obtain the interior courtesy light for my MK1 Capri. They have both disintegrated and do not seem to be available. Otherwise assuming that these were quite common to other cars of the era is it possible to get something to fit?
No idea if they are the same for Mk1 Capris....?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-E ... 0036.m2109

These look like the same standard thing though?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

It`s the actual light I think, not the switch? If so, try Martin at Caprigear.