Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Post Reply
Vermilion
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 am
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by Vermilion » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:54 am

What kind of driving height are you using on your Capri? What is lowest height in your countries legislation?
My drive height from lowest point at the moment is something like 115mm (~4,5"). Our legilation requires minimum of 80mm (3,15")
Atleast my cars drive height is too low (I feel like it).
I am using 220lbs -1" front springs and and rear has no lowering other than custom single leaf springs.

Image

Image

What is stock ride height for 2.8i and 3000 GTXL?

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7915
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by Major_Tom » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am

Vermilion wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:54 am
What kind of driving height are you using on your Capri? What is lowest height in your countries legislation?
My drive height from lowest point at the moment is something like 115mm (~4,5"). Our legilation requires minimum of 80mm (3,15")
That's a very interesting question Mr. Bond. I didn't realise it was even legislated over here (UK).

But your -1" front doesn't sound all that low, that's what mine is.
I'm the one that leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.

Vermilion
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 am
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by Vermilion » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 am

Major_Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am
Vermilion wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:54 am
What kind of driving height are you using on your Capri? What is lowest height in your countries legislation?
My drive height from lowest point at the moment is something like 115mm (~4,5"). Our legilation requires minimum of 80mm (3,15")
That's a very interesting question Mr. Bond. I didn't realise it was even legislated over here (UK).

But your -1" front doesn't sound all that low, that's what mine is.
I mean that (80mm) is Finnish minimum height for car.
My car has quite heavy engine bay, so that makes ride height lower than eg. 2.0 OHC/pinto.

The lowest points are exhaust under the gearbox and Caltracs front points. (the are pretty much the same 115mm).

STEVEW
Posts: 161
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by STEVEW » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Hi Vermilion,
What kind of driving height are you using on your Capri?
We have a 2.3S and at the front of the chassis rail - just in front of the short transverse crossmember - it's 140mm.

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)
Location: Czech Rep.

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by T.M. » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:35 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:54 am
What is stock ride height for 2.8i and 3000 GTXL?
Hi,
I don't have dimensions for ride height, but only this:

Dimensions from ground to top of wheelarch for 2.8i (on 205/60 VR13 tyres inflated to 1,95bar) with 1/2 tank of fuel should be:
Front - 22" - 22.5"
Rear - 22.5" - 23"
From John Miles chassis engineering article (August 1983): http://www.a400mod.com/VHK494S.htm


So maybe you can compare it. ;)


Tom

Vermilion
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 am
Car(s): Ford Capri MK1 Facelift 3000GT - Now 2.8 Turbo EFI

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by Vermilion » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:04 am

T.M. wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:35 pm
Vermilion wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:54 am
What is stock ride height for 2.8i and 3000 GTXL?
Hi,
I don't have dimensions for ride height, but only this:

Dimensions from ground to top of wheelarch for 2.8i (on 205/60 VR13 tyres inflated to 1,95bar) with 1/2 tank of fuel should be:
Front - 22" - 22.5"
Rear - 22.5" - 23"
From John Miles chassis engineering article (August 1983): http://www.a400mod.com/VHK494S.htm


So maybe you can compare it. ;)


Tom
Need to test this when car is back to it's own tires. Front should be then -1" since front springs are 220lbs -1
I am more worries about rear height being too low. I have double SS-exhaust and Caltracs that are quite low and exhaust going to otherside under gearbox.

Bug
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by Bug » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:35 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:31 am
Major_Tom wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:58 am
Vermilion wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:54 am
What kind of driving height are you using on your Capri? What is lowest height in your countries legislation?
My drive height from lowest point at the moment is something like 115mm (~4,5"). Our legilation requires minimum of 80mm (3,15")
That's a very interesting question Mr. Bond. I didn't realise it was even legislated over here (UK).

But your -1" front doesn't sound all that low, that's what mine is.
I mean that (80mm) is Finnish minimum height for car.
My car has quite heavy engine bay, so that makes ride height lower than eg. 2.0 OHC/pinto.

The lowest points are exhaust under the gearbox and Caltracs front points. (the are pretty much the same 115mm).
Assuming a brand new tyre has 8mm tread depth and we (in the UK) would look to change them at 2mm, how does that 6mm of height difference get accounted for in Finland then?

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by Mc Tool » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Down here the standard limit is 100mm, but you can (actually have to ) get any mods to the car inspected by an engineer and certified as a modified vehicle. Pretty much anything that could be cocked up by a dullboot has to be inspected. However ,if you ,or your resto shop make a proper job just about anything goes. My niebough has an old rusty ford truck with a Chev LS3 engine and that scrapes on the ground if he "drops the bags" ( lowers the airbag suspension )
Id rather have a bottle in front of me :beer: than a frontal lobotomy 🤯

User avatar
T.M.
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)
Location: Czech Rep.

Re: Car drive height from lowest point on chassis.

Post by T.M. » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:15 pm

Vermilion wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:04 am
Need to test this when car is back to it's own tires. Front should be then -1" since front springs are 220lbs -1
I am more worries about rear height being too low. I have double SS-exhaust and Caltracs that are quite low and exhaust going to otherside under gearbox.
Maybe front should be same, because 2.8i suspension is -1" than Capri suspension with another engines.


Tom

Post Reply