Page 1 of 1

MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:36 pm
by ESSEXV6ESSEX
Hi, a bit off Capri Topic but I'm hoping there are some painters on here that may be able to help.

I have a 2002 MG ZS. It's almost been stood for a year outside but polished up frequently. It sits on a drive with a couple of other cars but this time when I washed it and gone to polish it there are little tiny blisters in the Lacquer across the bonnet and wing edges as well as the roof. The car is low miles, one owner and never been painted.

Any ideas? I know if a car has been painted and moisture gets in it causes blisters in the paint but it's not the case with this and if it was a case of contamination in the wash or polish, I would assume it would be all over?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 pm
by Jasonmarie
1st have you used a cover outside ?
2nd have you used any iron dust remover on the paint work also what wax or polish have used .

A good car detailing company may be able to get them out .

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:15 pm
by ESSEXV6ESSEX
Jasonmarie wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 pm
1st have you used a cover outside ?
2nd have you used any iron dust remover on the paint work also what wax or polish have used .

A good car detailing company may be able to get them out .
Hi mate,

I've nott used a cover on it. No I havent tried a polisher or anything like that yet or compound. The polish I have been using is either Farecla G3 super resin Pro or Maguires Gold Class wax.

I might try a polisher and compound on it.

Cheers mate

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am
by stevemarl
I`m afraid It could simply be that the lacquer is beginning to fail due to age / UV exposure etc? Roof & bonnet suggests that. If the lacquer is blistering it`s unlikely that a DA will solve the problem, you may just `shave` off the blisters and leave matt dots where the basecoat`s exposed. When you say micro blisters, I assume you mean about a mm or 2 diameter?

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:31 pm
by Jasonmarie
I agree , is the car red ? As they really do suffer with UV ?

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm
by ESSEXV6ESSEX
stevemarl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am
I`m afraid It could simply be that the lacquer is beginning to fail due to age / UV exposure etc? Roof & bonnet suggests that. If the lacquer is blistering it`s unlikely that a DA will solve the problem, you may just `shave` off the blisters and leave matt dots where the basecoat`s exposed. When you say micro blisters, I assume you mean about a mm or 2 diameter?
Hi yeah I thought that, is it case of a repaint? The blisters are thee size of a pin head like a rash and all over.

Yep it's only apparent on the tops where it's been stood in the sun. I thought the polish may have protected it and yes it is the dreaded red by the way Jason.

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:31 pm
by Jasonmarie
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm
stevemarl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am
I`m afraid It could simply be that the lacquer is beginning to fail due to age / UV exposure etc? Roof & bonnet suggests that. If the lacquer is blistering it`s unlikely that a DA will solve the problem, you may just `shave` off the blisters and leave matt dots where the basecoat`s exposed. When you say micro blisters, I assume you mean about a mm or 2 diameter?
Hi yeah I thought that, is it case of a repaint? The blisters are thee size of a pin head like a rash and all over.

Yep it's only apparent on the tops where it's been stood in the sun. I thought the polish may have protected it and yes it is the dreaded red by the way Jason.
Yes it’s the red paint , I have not got a clue why red cars have this problem . I do hope there’s a way to save the paint steve on here did get his saved with a very good detailing company it’s worth a try before a respray also a car worth saving as becoming very collectible .

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:48 pm
by stevemarl
Jasonmarie wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:31 pm
have not got a clue why red cars have this problem
I always assumed it was due to the fact that Red paint reflects the red end of spectrum (so it looks red)and absorbs all the blue end (inc. U.V?) Blue paint reflects the blue end of the spectrum (so looks blue) and maybe incurs less U.V. damage?
But of cpourse that doesn`t explain black which absorbs everything, yet doesn`t fade!

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:29 pm
by 80s-new-man
And the areas in question have been polished/worn the most so said lacquer has thinned there most.
It will probably develop into swathes of lacquer lift.
There not much point in trying to polish or grind it off, as stated on here, as your car is likely painted with water based original paint and will be even more susceptible to moisture ingress. You may be able to have the areas locally treated and blown in at this stage, to avoid total panel respray but it’s not easy to blend it, you’ll probably definitely need the whole panel re-lacquered afterwards.

Re: MG MICRO BLISTERING BIT OFF CAPRI TOPIC

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:15 am
by ESSEXV6ESSEX
Thanks guys. Will see what can be done. Appreciate everyone's help.


***, "This topic can now be deleted if there are any mods here ***