V6 Essex Top Hose

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
wested
Car(s): Mk2 Ford Capri

V6 Essex Top Hose

Post by wested »

Hi chaps,
This may be a very silly question but I wondered if anyone knows the answer to my query?

I want to change the top hose on my 3.0 v6 Essex engine (between the thermostat housing & top of rad).
But can I simply remove the current top hose & swop on a new one WITHOUT any water coming out?

Or would I first need to drain down the whole system? 😳

Answers on a postcard.. 🤣
Thanks...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: V6 Essex Top Hose

Post by Paul G »

Take off the rad end first and some coolant will leak out but not too much. Then change hose and just top it up. It shouldn't be necessary to drain the whole system just to change a top hose.

When you have finished the job pour some clean water over any spillages just to wash the anti freeze off any paintwork it may have come into contact with.
wested

Post by wested »

Paul G wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:51 am Take off the rad end first and some coolant will leak out but not too much. Then change hose and just top it up. It shouldn't be necessary to drain the whole system just to change a top hose.

When you have finished the job pour some clean water over any spillages just to wash the anti freeze off any paintwork it may have come into contact with.
That’s awesome advice right there! Thanks Paul G. 🤩

By the way, does anyone know the size of the jubilee clips that attach the top hose?
I’d like to replace those too (as corroded) but away from the car until the weekend and can’t check.
Thanks again.
wested

Post by wested »

Just a quick follow-up..

I managed to successfully change the top-hose last wkend following the superb advice of Paul G.
I lined the engine bay with a base layer of plastic rubble sacks underneath & around the hose...then added a layer of absorbent material (old curtains) before I cracked on with the job.

As expected some coolant came out but not too much (maybe 0.5 litre) before I replaced the hose with a new one & had to swop out a rusty jubilee clip.

Then I topped up the coolant in the radiator.

For reference, the jubilee clip sizes I used were;
Large thermostat housing clip: 38-54mm diameter
Small radiator clip: 35mm (although a slightly larger one would be fine)

Cheers,
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I'm glad you've managed to do the job OK. Thanks for posting your outcome; so many ask questions then don't.
wested

Post by wested »

Paul G wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:34 am I'm glad you've managed to do the job OK. Thanks for posting your outcome; so many ask questions then don't.
Thanks again Paul G.
Yeah, I agree it’s always nice to have an outcome to refer back to or help the next guy.
😀👍