Spark plugs

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Spark plugs

Post by -JC- »

Realised its been a while since it had new plugs. Can anything be diagnoses from the state of these? What kind are recommended these days?

"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Spark plugs

Post by 340truck »

I'd have the head off that if it were mine. What my dad used to call a "de-coke". Even if only because the spark plug recesses must be full of crud judging by the plug body! Clean it all up inside and out, re-grind valves, maybe a mild cam upgrade if you haven't already got one, new gaskets, jobs a good 'un. Weekend job at worst, just a Sunday if you get up early enough and get stuck in.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

That plug doesnt look that used to me ,both electrodes are unworn...... but its filthy ,and as truck sorta sez somethings amiss . Does the engine use oil ( I really mean how much :) ) does it smoke upon start up and which cylinder is this plug from ,and what do the others look like . Im thinkin you have an oil control problem. Probly wouldnt hurt to do a compression test if you can . Do you have a bit of history on the engine ....like owned it for a while ?
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

What the guys say - and is your rocker cover gasket leaking as well?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

I haven't used the car much in the past few years. I've done bike carb upgrade and Megajolt recently and haven't finished ironing out the kinks, including timing and jetting.

ASAP such, I don't think it uses oil, although there was evidence of an oil leak somewhere at some point (by dizzy shaft) Replaced rocker gasket (will check it again) , camshaft front seal. No smoke. This is plug 1. Only pulled this one. Last compression test was a few years ago:

Dry : 12 10 12 12
Wet: 13.5 13.5 12.25 13.75

I've owned the car and engine since 2001!
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
sierra3dr
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri Cabaret 1.6,Ford Cortina MK5,1992 Ford Sierra Coupe,1988 Ford Sierra Coupe.Ford Sierra XR4i

Post by sierra3dr »

Looks sound to me,just a tad rich