Glovebox light switch

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Chris82
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0S in white

Glovebox light switch

Post by Chris82 »

Hi,

Should there be a spring in the housing of the glovebox light switch. It appears to need to 'pop forward' for earth connect, but I can't believe this is a manual process of pulling the rubber on the switch. Just trying to make this light work!

Thanks.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Glovebox light switch

Post by Mc Tool »

Glove box light switch return spring was , I believe, an optional extra otherwise thats it mate , (shoulda bought a datsun :xd: )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

Cheers. Just mainly curious as to how this should actually work as can bypass the switch so it just turns on with the lights or simply not bother at all all, as I have hardly ever used a glovebox on any car I have had. Just a bug bare that if it's there it should work!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Ha ha , I know what you mean about things that should work. Maybe the spring is broken and sorta overlapped , cant hurt to see if you can get the switch apart. If you do go for the perminantly on make sure you have a low wattage bulb or led so you dont overheat after a long on-time . Another light source is needed other than the useless interior light, nothing worse than fucking about in the dark trying to find your glycerine spray.....or your condoms :D
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Could always take it apart and see if you can bodge another spring in there to solve it...??
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

And ball point pens can be the source of a good selection of small springs .
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Chris82 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:01 pm Hi,

Should there be a spring in the housing of the glovebox light switch. It appears to need to 'pop forward' for earth connect, but I can't believe this is a manual process of pulling the rubber on the switch. Just trying to make this light work!

Thanks.
I've got one you can have. It's missing the rubber but sounds like you have that. Just pm me your address if you want it.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

Thanks Peter I only just read this but ended up winning one on ebay on Tuesday with the light fitting. Wish I had read your post first!