Car Cover

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Chris82
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0S in white

Car Cover

Post by Chris82 »

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for a quality outdoor car cover that has a decent fit? There seems to be loads on ebay all varying in price, but it would be good to know if anyone's purchased one and happy with it. Unfortunately I need to keep the Capri on the drive rather than the garage so need a cover to protect from the elements.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Car Cover

Post by pbar »

Some people have success with covers, I'm not keen, personally I'd do without. But anyway, have a read of this -

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44152&hilit=cover
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

Shocked by that. I was thinking of a cover to protect my car not ruin the paint work!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I used pool noodles ,about 2m long
Layed between car and cover so it lets air around the car, and stops cover chaifing in wind.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

After looking around and asking recommendations a couple of years ago i ended up with a Stormforce cover. Its quite substantial, made of a tough multi layered fabric and fits the car well. It's never blown off the car even in very high winds as it is elasticated and has underbody straps.
The only downside I'd say is that it is quite bulky when stored. Folding it up tight enough to get it back into the canvas bag it came in looks like hard work so its currently bundled up and left in the corner of the shed now that ive got use of my neighbour's garage for the capri.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:23 am After looking around and asking recommendations a couple of years ago i ended up with a Stormforce cover. Its quite substantial, made of a tough multi layered fabric and fits the car well. It's never blown off the car even in very high winds as it is elasticated and has underbody straps.
The only downside I'd say is that it is quite bulky when stored. Folding it up tight enough to get it back into the canvas bag it came in looks like hard work so its currently bundled up and left in the corner of the shed now that ive got use of my neighbour's garage for the capri.
I have had several Stormforce covers, and as long as you follow all the instructions they are good.
As above, they can be awkward to store when off the car though.

And as I found out on one car, any paint defects might be made worse by a cover!

:goodluck:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I do leave my Capri on the drive if I am working on the car or getting ready for a show ( :lol: ) but I use a cover and it’s been fine , i even let it rain to see if it was wet under the car and it was fine so well pleased .

My old neighbour also uses these for when he leaves his cars out on the drive . But a word of caution don’t use on red cars as he did buy a Porsche cover for his new 911 and it milked the paint work over night and he had it all buffed out , this also happened to Steve’s 2.8 on here and seems to be common thing on red cars ?
And from Amazon ......

FORD CAPRI Fully Waterproof Car Covers - Cotton Lined - Heavy Duty https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016L2TA4M/ ... dFb3CAT2VW
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
PaulCalf
Car(s): Capri 1984 2.8i

Post by PaulCalf »

Yep storm force works well for me too - great fit and good protection. My car is blue not red tho
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Some thieving sod nicked mine one night. :wank:
At the time I was just grateful they hadnt taken the car but i wasnt best pleased at the cost of having to replace it. I got their optional steel cable and padlock when i reorderd, no problems since.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Not_Anumber wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm Some thieving sod nicked mine one night. :wank:
At the time I was just grateful they hadnt taken the car but i wasnt best pleased at the cost of having to replace it. I got their optional steel cable and padlock when i reorderd, no problems since.
Did insurance pay out, or did they claim it wasn't covered ;)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

They came out with some crap about it not being their Policy
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:xd: have another try bug :lol: :lol: I think he missed it :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Mc Tool wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:09 pm :xd: have another try bug :lol: :lol: I think he missed it :D
Oh dear. :doh:
Chris82

Post by Chris82 »

Thanks for the advice. Going to purchase one soon as the birds have taken a real liking to the Capri this week!