Radio advice

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Chris82
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0S in white

Radio advice

Post by Chris82 »

I am looking for some advice on installing a new radio. I would ideally like a DAB radio with a USB connection for an ipod but I really don't want to cut the dash or locate the radio elsewhere. I did find something that might be suitable on the link below but its seems incredibly expensive and doesn't have the 'standard' 45w/50w per channel so not even sure how good it will actually sound. Any advice would be much appreciated.

https://www.retrocarstuff.com/shop/clas ... -san-diego

Also does anyone know where a might be able to source a MK3 grey gear gaitor as mine has had it really? Thanks
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Radio advice

Post by D366Y »

I know a lot of us have modern radios in our cars, but I think that unfortunately the majority will be because it has been re-located elsewhere or have a chopped up dash - £300+ does seem like a lot when moving the radio somewhere else means you can get a bog standard £30 car radio and move the wires around.

Also means that you can leave the original radio in place to keep the look as well

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

That retrosound radio comes with an amplifier option, and has been done successfully by members of this forum, for example here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=53449

That is expensive, but is the only option if you don't want to move the radio, and don't want to cut the dash either.
Cutting the dash isn't a big deal in my opinion (but I would say that cos mine was already cut), but maybe get hold of a second hand dash panel that's already cut and keep your nice one in the loft?

Gear lever gaiters readily available from Capri Club in leather or they might have some vinyl originals. Capri Gear may have some too.
Always check those suppliers first.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I do have the retro radio what John got me as he upgraded his and the sound is fantastic we both have the amp and the speakers that fit straight in from there as well .
Also you could put the old radio back in if needed .

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

There seem to be some very cheap copies of the Retrosound stereos on Ebay currently, I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried them.
Chris82
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0S in white

Post by Chris82 »

Thanks very much for the advice. Does sound pretty good even through my desk top speakers! I do really like the simplicity of the front of the unit just need to think if I am going to spend that kind of money, as would really like to keep the radio in the correct position and not cut the dash.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hi Chris82

I suppose it depends on how much you want to spend.
The Capri that we bought came with an oversized radio that flashed green and blue and was wired into two awful door speakers and two massive Mac speakers on a self-constructed rear timber-framed parcel shelf. Naturally, this mobile disco was ripped out.
A replacement genuine Ford radio was bought on Ebay and then sent off to, "Tadpole Radios" (www.tadpoleradios.co.uk)
They gutted it and installed what they term the, "Standard Conversion".

In other words, externally it looks like what it is however, technically it's a modern radio into which a smart phone can be plugged.
This conversion cost £450 which included VAT with tracked postage to France.

It's wired into two period Blaupunkt door speakers from an '82 BMW. The looks and the sound is great.
Rollz414
Car(s): Ford Carpi 2.0 GL

Post by Rollz414 »

STEVEW wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:11 pm
A replacement genuine Ford radio was bought on Ebay and then sent off to, "Tadpole Radios" (www.tadpoleradios.co.uk)
They gutted it and installed what they term the, "Standard Conversion".
This is exactly what I'm trying to do but sadly its difficult to source original radios and they seem to be making crazy money :(

Are they hard to reinstall after they've converted it or does it simply plug back into the existing connectors?

I had tried on of these a Hidden Bluetooth ampliflier https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/hidd ... amplifier/

I do not recommend, it gets very warm! I've since took mine out as I didn't trust it
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So young John got me in to all this and the sound is so nice , I would recommend getting the Amp & Speakers that all fit in to the original holes so looks standard , the amp sits behind the glove box as there is so much on behind there also it’s not on show .also they do a USB input that I have . I ended up having a auto electric audio guy fit all mine and leave me the original wiring so my old head unit can go back in again at anytime . He was a older guy who said he cut his teeth on capris back in the day and really enjoyed doing it . He only charge me £80 for the service but I did fit the speakers myself as that’s really easy to do .
John did do all his own install but he is very very good with car electrics .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Rollz414 wrote
This is exactly what I'm trying to do but sadly its difficult to source original radios and they seem to be making crazy money :(Are they hard to reinstall after they've converted it or does it simply plug back into the existing connectors?
Our conversion wasn't difficult to fit. although we had to tidy the wiring up because of the atrocious mess the disco queen had made with it around the back of the radio. We used connectors in which the stripped ends of the wires are inserted and then heated. The returned radio came with instructions from Tadpole.
Give them a ring and explain what you are looking for: they are very helpful and I'm sure they can advise you about the installation.

I paid 450 pounds, which may sound expensive however, it looks the part in a car that's been restored to be driven and not just looked at.
Not only does the radio offer plenty of channels: my son uses it to play music from his phone and I believe it's added more to the value of the car.

Good luck.
Grumsum
Car(s): Brooklands

Post by Grumsum »

I will be honest
The Radio works as does the tape deck and the electric aerial......

But Im in love with the V6 sound runnning through the S/S Exhaust ......thats all I need when I drive her

Very Best
Graham
monotony
Car(s): Ford Capri 3.0 Ghia 1978, Ford Mondeo 2.0 Ghia X (Daily Driver). Have owned a Capri 3.0 since 1981(5 in all!)

Post by monotony »

Hi Grumsum
My original radio worked fine. The replacement 2.8 radio and cassette worked fine but I wanted more!
I’ve got the Retrosound kit fitted with all the bells, amp and woofer which can sound awesome .......
but nowt sounds as pleasing as a 3 litre burble through s/s exhaust.
Keep smiling 😊