Accelerator Pedal Play

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Post Reply
User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by pbar » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Just wondering how much, if any, play you guys have at the accelerator pedal. Just noticed today that I have around half an inch or so of slack 'play' before the pedal has an affect and the revs will rise, not sure if this is normal or not and if I should look at taking this out.

Thanks.

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3629
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by Jasonmarie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:03 pm

With out going out and starting the car I agree there is slack as I did notice that on my old car . Next time I am out I will give it ago or when there is a nice day again .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Mr B
Donator
Donator
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:07 am
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by Mr B » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:34 pm

Hi mate,

I personally wouldn't worry about having a bit of slack as long as the carb/throttle body linkage is fully open when the throttle pedal is hard to the floor.

Wayne

Bug
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by Bug » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 am

pbar wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:02 pm
Just wondering how much, if any, play you guys have at the accelerator pedal. Just noticed today that I have around half an inch or so of slack 'play' before the pedal has an affect and the revs will rise, not sure if this is normal or not and if I should look at taking this out.

Thanks.
On the carb models, the slack is very often due to the plastic guide where the rod pivots in the bracket on the inlet manifold.
The guide falls out and the first part of the throttle movement is you lifting the rod up until it impinges on the bracket.
You need to push it back in place, but may find it needs a bit of superglue to hold it there.

Other than that you should have no play in the pedal, as far as I recall.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by pbar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :)
Bug wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 am

On the carb models, the slack is very often due to the plastic guide where the rod pivots in the bracket on the inlet manifold.
The guide falls out and the first part of the throttle movement is you lifting the rod up until it impinges on the bracket.
Spot on, it was exactly that, thank you Martin. With the bush/guide put back in place the pedal was instantly better.

With the pedal wedged down there was still a small amount of extra play at the carb end so tightened the adjuster nut a little to take that play out, so am satisfied it is correct now. (Thanks also to Stevemarl)

Just need to find a way to hold that bush in place as I can tell it is wanting to escape again.

Thank you again Martin.

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2374
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by Caprigear » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 pm

A dab of superglue or a cable tie are usually the methods used.
Image

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by pbar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Caprigear wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:01 pm
A dab of superglue or a cable tie are usually the methods used.
I was thinking of a cable tie on the spindle butted against the bush. Superb, thanks Martin.

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by Mc Tool » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Screenshot_20200620-093642.png
What about these boys? Almost made for the job ( get a few as you wont get the bastards off in one piece )
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4422
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by stevemarl » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:26 pm

Never mind that, when you can get NOS ones on ebay fo a bargain price :roll:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-ESCORT- ... SwROtesaCY

(They`ve actually sold one too.)

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by pbar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:11 pm

Mc Tool wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 pm
Screenshot_20200620-093642.png
What about these boys? Almost made for the job ( get a few as you wont get the bastards off in one piece )
Starlock washers, never thought of those, yes great idea, that would work a treat.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by pbar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:45 pm

Burton Power sell the bushes too, so it's good to know that they are available -

https://www.burtonpower.com/weber-throt ... bdgv2.html

Bug
Posts: 3193
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 pm
Car(s): Some

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by Bug » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:18 am

pbar wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:36 pm
Thanks for the replies guys :)
Bug wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:47 am

On the carb models, the slack is very often due to the plastic guide where the rod pivots in the bracket on the inlet manifold.
The guide falls out and the first part of the throttle movement is you lifting the rod up until it impinges on the bracket.
Spot on, it was exactly that, thank you Martin. With the bush/guide put back in place the pedal was instantly better.

With the pedal wedged down there was still a small amount of extra play at the carb end so tightened the adjuster nut a little to take that play out, so am satisfied it is correct now. (Thanks also to Stevemarl)

Just need to find a way to hold that bush in place as I can tell it is wanting to escape again.

Thank you again Martin.
Excellent. A nice easy fix and proved to myself that my memory hasn't completely gone yet :lol:

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 6016
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Accelerator Pedal Play

Post by pbar » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:09 pm

Bug wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:18 am

Excellent. A nice easy fix and proved to myself that my memory hasn't completely gone yet :lol:
And one of the reasons that I, and many others, are glad to see you back here :)

Post Reply