Starter motor issues

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
chewieisawookie
Car(s): '83 Capri 2.8 injection
'75 Triumph Stag

Starter motor issues

Post by chewieisawookie »

Hi Im having some intermittent starting problems with my 2.8. When I try and start the car the starter doesnt crank the engine although I can hear the solenoid. Then on the 2nd or 3rd attempt or so the starter will crank the engine and it starts and runs fine. The battery is good, only about a year old, and Ive cleaned up all the contacts. When i tested the starter on the bench it fired every time so Im wondering if its not engaging with the flywheel. When I dismantled the starter I cant see the thrust washer shown on the exploded diagram in the haynes manual, could this be the problem and does anyone know where I get suitably sized thrust washers for the (Bosch) starter?

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks
James
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Starter motor issues

Post by Mc Tool »

Starter motor brushes are probly knackered ......not a biggie tech wise but still a pain in the arse .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:29 pm Starter motor brushes are probly knackered ......not a biggie tech wise but still a pain in the arse .
:agree:

Might be wise to consider replacing/repairing ASAP as sods law says it will leave you stranded in the most inconvenient place possible....and It'll probably be raining as well!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I had something similar a couple of years ago. It was an earth problem. Make sure that the earth lead on the battery is clean, tight on the terminal and also check and clean the connections to the body and engine block.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Peter-S wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:49 pm I had something similar a couple of years ago. It was an earth problem. Make sure that the earth lead on the battery is clean, tight on the terminal and also check and clean the connections to the body and engine block.
And of course, that would explain why it does work on the bench.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

On the bench the jolt from the solenoid can be enough to jiggle the brushes into action , bit like tapping the starter whilst bolted to the motor.
The solenoid coil earths thru the brushes /armature and if you can hear that clicking ,usually the dodgy brush connection will fire the solenoid but wont flow enough current to move the starter........and as you say Wayne ......one day the solenoid wont earth and no amount of finger crossing or key twisting will get you home
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

What's the battery like?
On my old 2.8i it only had to drop a little bit and there wasn't enough power to turn it.
Enough power to move the gear along the shaft to engage, but at that point it tries to give a big lump of electrickery to the starter, doesn't have enough and gives up.
Just one other thing to check.

NB. Although in my hazy recollection, I believe this may have resulted in the starter motor 'chattering' as it kept flying forward, giving up, falling back, and repeating.