Handbrake cable

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Handbrake cable

Post by ollyw »

I keep having issues with the handbrake cable adjuster suddenly unscrewing when under load. This has happened several times now.

I’ve put it down to a crap aftermarket part but wondered if anyone else was having the same trouble and what you did to solve it?

The adjuster at the lever end just keeps loosening after a little while but it’ll do it suddenly 😕
I’m wondering whether to do it up and fill it with loctite?!

Olly W
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Handbrake cable

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I'm sorry if this sounds patronising, but are you tightening the locknut after adjusting the cable?

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

It will happen on some of the reproduction cables. I had it happen on one a couple of years age. What I did was adjust the cable to how I wanted it then put a very small jubilee clip up against the adjuster to lock it in place.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Hey Andrew and Martin

Thanks for the replies. Not at all Andrew, what’s your method? It’s a QH part (regrettably but I’m not aware of any other choices). What I’m experiencing is the locknut appears to jump a thread and thus relax the cable. It doesn’t happen instantly, it’s taken about 2000 miles since it last did this.

From what I can see I’m not convinced of the design. The original cables (I kept the old one albeit it is snapped) have a key way moulded on the casing which is intended to engage with the bracket under the car. This is not present on this.

Martin your suggestion sounds excellent, a Jubilee clip on the locknut side of the cable as I read it yes??
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

ollyw wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:37 am It’s a QH part (regrettably but I’m not aware of any other choices).
I'm interested in the outcome of this as I've recently fitted a replacement QH handbrake cable.
Unlike your situation, the cable I replaced didn't have a locknut so I'm guessing it was also an aftermarket part. I haven't had a chance to use the car since I replaced the cable, but the old one never gave any grief like you 've described. You've got me worried now though! :lol:

Andrew.
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

Hi

This is what I’ve had to do.

Basically the locknut at the bottom stays locked by castlations between the main section and the locknut. That’s all that’s stopping it from undoing. When under load I imagine these castlations are under considerable load so what I’m making out is that they suddenly slip and the handbrake cable goes slack as a result.
I’ve added the jubilee clip as suggested by Martin at the bottom of the image, I’m hoping this will do the job for now. 2/3 pulls so far so good. Think I’ll leave it in gear on hills!! 🙂

Fundimentally there is a flaw with the cable in the following pic

You will notice a notch in the floor bracket on the left hand side. The cable should have a “peg” moulded into it which stops it rotating under pressure. Genuine ford cables of that period did. So I think the whole thing is twisting under load which then puts pressure on the locknut which then slips on the castleations.

In short, QH have removed the “peg” to save 5p worth of plastic which in turn potentially (in my opinion ) renders the cable dangerous and likely to fail under load. :drive:

Anyone know of another supplier that doesn’t cost hundreds of pounds?!? :cigar:
Last edited by ollyw on Sun May 31, 2020 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

Here’s an arrow pointing at the notch where the peg should be so you can see what I’m chatting about 😂

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Just my thoughts as I`m still on OE cable, and TBH can`t remember the last time I adjusted it, but if it suddenly loosens, that sounds more like trhe thread is actually `jumping` a thread or 2 under load rather than slipping round/ unwinding. Isn`t it a nylon assembly (in which case that`s not impossible) or am I thinking of something else? I just think if it was unscrewing it would be a much slower process where you`d just be re-adjusting frequently. Whatever, Its obviously down to quality, as you quite rightly say `to save 5p`.
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

Certainly a project for someone with manufacturing experience or contacts I reckon!
ollyw

Post by ollyw »

stevemarl wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 am Just my thoughts as I`m still on OE cable, and TBH can`t remember the last time I adjusted it, but if it suddenly loosens, that sounds more like trhe thread is actually `jumping` a thread or 2 under load rather than slipping round/ unwinding. Isn`t it a nylon assembly (in which case that`s not impossible) or am I thinking of something else? I just think if it was unscrewing it would be a much slower process where you`d just be re-adjusting frequently. Whatever, Its obviously down to quality, as you quite rightly say `to save 5p`.

Yes you’re right it’s some sort of nylon. I think the oe cables were too?... I agree I think the whole think could be jumping on the thread of the metal cable as such. 🤦‍♂️
Not exactly very safe. Would definitely caution others on these after this experience.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Could the adjuster be drilled and a dowel be inserted to lock it into the lug as per O/E?