Permanent Live at Instrument Panel Issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Owent2005
Car(s): Ford Capri 1983 Mk3 1.6LS

Permanent Live at Instrument Panel Issue

Post by Owent2005 »

Good afternoon!

As an update on my last three topics; I have repaired/replaced quite a lot of the wiring around the engine bay, instrument panel and alternator. I’ve repaired (I think) the PCB and put it partially back together to test.
Everything is working on the instrument panel now, except the panel lighting which I think isn’t connected, however as soon as I wire up the battery the brake light and alternator lights come on without the key in the ignition. They do go out when running with the handbrake off.
Has anyone come across this before?
Thanks,

Owen
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Permanent Live at Instrument Panel Issue

Post by stevemarl »

Most likely is simply that you (or a previous owner) have got the wiring out of the ign switch wrong and you`ve got a constant live where it should be switched? Have you had to do much rewiring around the ignition? Either way, all you really need to do is find the one which is currently from constant live,, find the `switched` (from) the switch itself and swap them over.Assuing you have a meter shouldn`t be too hard? Either that or ytou have a short somewhere.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Thanks Steve,

That’s what I thought so am now spending this sunny bank holiday trying to find if anything has been swapped around.
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

Issue Resolved (I'm not sure how to edit the topics heading).

I had a wire going from the alternator through the bung and it was attached to the heated screen relay's power cable which in turn was attached to the wire from fuse 7!

I had fun finding all of that, now onto the next gremlin!

Owen
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Again, thanks for updating your progress, it is helpful to others in the future if the solution is explained. So many sort out their problem then bugger off!
Owent2005

Post by Owent2005 »

No worries and thanks for your help Steve, I'd like to say I'm nearly there but there will always be something!
Is there a way of editing the subject heading so people can see straight away without having to click into the stream?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I don`t think there is, you get an hour after posting then that`s it, although I`m sure admin could sort it?