Leaking fuel line HELP!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Tom_Ingram
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Leaking fuel line HELP!

Post by Tom_Ingram »

Hi there everyone, first of all I’d like to thank everyone for the help with getting my gear stick out, it was massively helpful

However, I cranked the engine this morning and spotted that the fuel line that goes into the carb on my 2.0 has started leaking, due to the cracked rubber. One of my friends mentioned that this is common on older rubber components, as newer petrol can degrade it, and a similar thing happened to his Scimitar. Does anyone know where I can find replacement fuel lines, or if it’s even possible to just tape it up? Also, is it a relatively simple job to replace it? I’ve attached a few images below for reference. Many thanks.
Attachments
B93C2575-3A4B-4813-9F77-DD2DFD93F318.jpeg
1D155D57-6E72-4777-A4EF-400264ED8EFD.jpeg
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Leaking fuel line HELP!

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I had new lines installed and so did Pinto Nick at Tickover they are at work for parts and stuff and there stuff comes the nextday not sure as post is slow at the moment but give them a ring . Or Martin at Capri gear but think he is just going in to work once a week .
Also agree very common I would advise using millers ( see link ) as this helps the carburettor and petrol tank with the Ethanol .
Link https://motornuts.co.uk/millers-vspe-po ... rkEALw_wcB
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Tom_Ingram wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:54 pm is it a relatively simple job to replace it?
It`s about as easy as they come, all you need to do is squeeze the `ears` of the clip with a pair of pliers, twist and pull and the hose should just slide off. Repeat at other end. If it`s particularly hard and in-elastic you may need to slit it with a Stanley knife (but not so as to damage the metal pipe inside). There will be some loss of petrol but only what`s held in the pipe. Replacement is just standard 8mm or 5/16" petrol pipe, if you can find a factors/Halfords, should be easy to source. As Jason said, use some kind of additive to protect from ethanol in the future. (Although TBH yours just looks like general ageing rubber, cracks in the outer surface etc.)
Oh, and maybe better to use a jubilee clip on re-assembly, a 12mm will usually do.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If this one is like that I would consider getting all the rubber hoses in the fuel lines replaced just to be safe.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul G wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 pm If this one is like that I would consider getting all the rubber hoses in the fuel lines replaced just to be safe.
That`s a very good point, they`re all 30+ years old so it would be sensible to replace them all. There are 4 pieces alltogether: one from the sender unit in the tank which connects to the nylon pipe running the length of the car; another (easily missed) just tucked under the NS sill connecting the aforementioned pipe to the steel pipe which runs across the front crossmember (pic).
Then a piece connecting the steel pipe into the fuel pump, and finally your leaky one from the pump to carb.

EDIT: just realised, your 2.0 has a fuel return pipe as well so you`ll also need to follow that back to the tank and replace any flexible sections in that line too.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If in doubt get Tickover or Martin to quote you for the right size and length you need to do all of it plus all the jubilee clips you need. It wont be expensive and it will give peace of mind. Get the right type of fuel hose and it will last for decades.
It isnt a difficult job to do: ensure the engine and exhaust etc are cool and you can access the areas you need to comfortably. The only tools you will need are screwdrivers, a measuring tape, pliers and a Stanley knife. Have a small jar or food container to hand to catch any fuel - it can be poured back in the tank. Dont allow anyone to smoke nearby, usual common sense safety.

Sadly fuel hoses are a thing that can easily be overlooked when successive owners deal with bodywork and mechanicals- ignored til they become a problem, same as the flexible brake hoses.
Tom_Ingram
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Post by Tom_Ingram »

Thanks for all the advice on that. I spoke to Tickover, and they said that I’d need 8mm diameter rubber fuel line to replace it, should anyone need that info too.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Great your sorted , yes it’s worth doing then use the millers with just super unleaded as the government will be putting 10% of ethanol Followed by 15% the year after but that was EU law so could change :lol: .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I think you'll find the pipes coming off the sender units are different diameters, the feed pipe is 6mm while the return is 8mm so you'll need lengths of both 6 and 8mm to do the job.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Martin,
isn`t it usually the other way round, 8mm delivery and 6mm return, presumably as the volume returning is less? I`m just going off the Fiat`s fuel pump.