Diff centres

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Diff centres

Post by Mc Tool »

Im getting to the stage where I have to sort my diff out . I am going to be using. 3.9l rover and auto box and am looking to have about 220 - 240hp at the crank .
I want some sort of lsd centre but am being swayed by the quaife atb centre ( half the price ). Has any one here had experiance with either type. The car is for road use only and probly wont be thrashed to much
Also lookin at the quaife floating axle kits.
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Diff centres

Post by Bug »

I have no personal experience, but a good friend from back in the day at Kings Lynn Capri Club fitted a Quaife torque biasing diff in his TT230 2.8i.
He was really pleased with it. Much easier to install than a plate LSD as nowhere near so critical on set up. I believe you also don't need all the fancy oil and friction modifier additive either?
At the time he fitted it, he had just rebuilt his engine at 160k miles. Last I heard, it was passing through 300k with nothing further than standard regular maintenance to either engine or diff.
I believe you used to be able to specify the ramp angles as well, to adjust how quickly it all locked up.
Got to be worth a chat with Quaife about it.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi MC,

Have a look at this mate.

viewtopic.php?t=49262

Might be useful

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Thanks Wayne , a good read ,sorta echo's my thoughts re the quaife atb , ticks all the boxes .
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Year's ago I had a small block Chevy in a Capri and the engine was cranking out almost 500bhp and enormous amounts of torque, I had a standard 2.8 special LSD axle on her and the axle held up well considering what I put it through, I adventually changed to a Mustang 8 inch but the Capri axle is still going strong to this day - it's on a 3 litre car now and is enjoying it's twilight years - bit like me!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest