Gear lever removal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Tom_Ingram
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Gear lever removal

Post by Tom_Ingram »

Hi all, I’ve been attempting to remove the gear selector in my laser, and people mention there being a few bolts to remove once the centre console is out, but I’m struggling to find these. I’ve attached this image to help illustrate my confusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Attachments
4C5D7857-C960-4E9D-B3AE-72B59C5B3E51.jpeg
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Peter-S »

It will probably crumble to dust but you need to remove that piece of foam, there are 3 bolts underneath there
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
You're not the Tom Ingram by any chance, are you? :)

As Peter says, there are three M8 bolts to undo and then the lever will lift out.

Andrew.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Hi all,I have removed the foam on mine and you are correct it does crumble to dust, what could be used to replace this. Thanks.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Allan mcl wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 pm Hi all,I have removed the foam on mine and you are correct it does crumble to dust, what could be used to replace this. Thanks.
You could use a car wash type sponge. Alternatively, if you have an upholsterer near you, they will have small off cuts of foam that they'll probably give you for nothing if you ask them. The advantage of using modern foam is that it will meet current fire resistance regulations.

:goodluck:
Andrew.
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Thanks for that Andrew never thought of that, is it just for noise reduction and does it go directly on top of the box.
Cheers Allan
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

You could use a car wash type sponge. Alternatively, if you have an upholsterer near you, they will have small off cuts of foam that they'll probably give you for nothing if you ask them. The advantage of using modern foam is that it will meet current fire resistance regulations.

:goodluck:
Andrew.
[/quote]

:lol: Should I carry a fire extinguisher as mine is 33 years :lol:

Headline ............. Capri was destroyed by fire but owner said gearbox foam is ok :lol:

Love it :applaud:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

How easy is it to remove the console to get to this ?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 pm How easy is it to remove the console to get to this ?
Shouldn't be too bad - only a few screws through the middle of the console and it should basically come away... If you have a long console I start from the back and work forward as there is one right at the back, and the ones under the lid of the compartment that need to be removed as well
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Allan mcl wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm is it just for noise reduction
I think so, yes.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm Headline ............. Capri was destroyed by fire but owner said gearbox foam is ok :lol:
Well, I didn't quite mean it like that, but since you put it that way..... :)

Andrew.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm
Allan mcl wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm is it just for noise reduction
I think so, yes.

Andrew.
Noise reduction!
What's that?
:lowrider:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

D366Y wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm
Not_Anumber wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 pm How easy is it to remove the console to get to this ?
Shouldn't be too bad - only a few screws through the middle of the console and it should basically come away... If you have a long console I start from the back and work forward as there is one right at the back, and the ones under the lid of the compartment that need to be removed as well
Don't forget the two tricky little buggers under the clock - unless somebody has already been in there and not bothered to replace them.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

:agree:
Bastard little screws :swear: no right to be there
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

As a general rule...you should ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in your Capri. Might save your life one day.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

340truck wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 am As a general rule...you should ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in your Capri. Might save your life one day.
Or someone elses.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

The console was easy enough to remove - once id worked out the small plastic tray/ trim behind the gearstick had to be pulled out to get to the fixing screws under it.
I was surprised at the amount of bare metal on the underside of the console. Whilst I had it out for a clean I primed and painted the bare metal underside.

Changing the plastic saddle under the gearstick was as easy as everyone said. Just hooked it out with a pair of long nosed pliers, put the new one in place then 3 bolts to refit the gearstick.

Does anyone know if its possible to replace the spring that's in the lower part of the gearstick ? Mine hardly needs any downwards pressure to engage reverse. I remember the last capri i had needed a strong push downwards to engage reverse which just felt safer when doing a 3 point turn with oncoming traffic. Can the stick be dismantled to replace the spring ?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I don`t think so: even if you removed the `peened` wings` retaining the washer & rubber boot, you`d never get the spring etc past the rubber filled damper 1/3 way up the shaft. I assume the damper was assembled last in the manufacturing process.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Not_Anumber wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am The console was easy enough to remove - once id worked out the small plastic tray/ trim behind the gearstick had to be pulled out to get to the fixing screws under it.
I was surprised at the amount of bare metal on the underside of the console. Whilst I had it out for a clean I primed and painted the bare metal underside.

Changing the plastic saddle under the gearstick was as easy as everyone said. Just hooked it out with a pair of long nosed pliers, put the new one in place then 3 bolts to refit the gearstick.

Does anyone know if its possible to replace the spring that's in the lower part of the gearstick ? Mine hardly needs any downwards pressure to engage reverse. I remember the last capri i had needed a strong push downwards to engage reverse which just felt safer when doing a 3 point turn with oncoming traffic. Can the stick be dismantled to replace the spring ?
The quaife quick shift gear lever is a good upgrade if you get sick of the slackness.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.