Gear lever removal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Tom_Ingram
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:15 pm
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser

Gear lever removal

Post by Tom_Ingram » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi all, I’ve been attempting to remove the gear selector in my laser, and people mention there being a few bolts to remove once the centre console is out, but I’m struggling to find these. I’ve attached this image to help illustrate my confusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Attachments
4C5D7857-C960-4E9D-B3AE-72B59C5B3E51.jpeg

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6887
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Peter-S » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:24 pm

It will probably crumble to dust but you need to remove that piece of foam, there are 3 bolts underneath there
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:
You're not the Tom Ingram by any chance, are you? :)

As Peter says, there are three M8 bolts to undo and then the lever will lift out.

Andrew.
Image

Allan mcl
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.
Location: South shields

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Allan mcl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi all,I have removed the foam on mine and you are correct it does crumble to dust, what could be used to replace this. Thanks.

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:36 pm

Allan mcl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 pm
Hi all,I have removed the foam on mine and you are correct it does crumble to dust, what could be used to replace this. Thanks.
You could use a car wash type sponge. Alternatively, if you have an upholsterer near you, they will have small off cuts of foam that they'll probably give you for nothing if you ask them. The advantage of using modern foam is that it will meet current fire resistance regulations.

:goodluck:
Andrew.
Image

Allan mcl
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.
Location: South shields

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Allan mcl » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Thanks for that Andrew never thought of that, is it just for noise reduction and does it go directly on top of the box.
Cheers Allan

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3627
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Jasonmarie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm

You could use a car wash type sponge. Alternatively, if you have an upholsterer near you, they will have small off cuts of foam that they'll probably give you for nothing if you ask them. The advantage of using modern foam is that it will meet current fire resistance regulations.

:goodluck:
Andrew.
[/quote]

:lol: Should I carry a fire extinguisher as mine is 33 years :lol:

Headline ............. Capri was destroyed by fire but owner said gearbox foam is ok :lol:

Love it :applaud:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983 5 speed, weekend car. Audi A7 during the week. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Not_Anumber » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 pm

How easy is it to remove the console to get to this ?

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1723
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a daily runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...
Location: South Bucks

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by D366Y » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm

Not_Anumber wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 pm
How easy is it to remove the console to get to this ?
Shouldn't be too bad - only a few screws through the middle of the console and it should basically come away... If you have a long console I start from the back and work forward as there is one right at the back, and the ones under the lid of the compartment that need to be removed as well
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983 5 speed, weekend car. Audi A7 during the week. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Not_Anumber » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm

Allan mcl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm
is it just for noise reduction
I think so, yes.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 13274
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion
Contact:

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Andrew 2.8i » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Jasonmarie wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm
Headline ............. Capri was destroyed by fire but owner said gearbox foam is ok :lol:
Well, I didn't quite mean it like that, but since you put it that way..... :)

Andrew.
Image

STEVEW
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:10 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by STEVEW » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 pm
Allan mcl wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:19 pm
is it just for noise reduction
I think so, yes.

Andrew.
Noise reduction!
What's that?
:lowrider:

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2373
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Caprigear » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:19 am

D366Y wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:28 pm
Not_Anumber wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:24 pm
How easy is it to remove the console to get to this ?
Shouldn't be too bad - only a few screws through the middle of the console and it should basically come away... If you have a long console I start from the back and work forward as there is one right at the back, and the ones under the lid of the compartment that need to be removed as well
Don't forget the two tricky little buggers under the clock - unless somebody has already been in there and not bothered to replace them.
Image

Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 8:34 pm
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss
Location: Invercargill New Zealand

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Mc Tool » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 am

:agree:
Bastard little screws :swear: no right to be there
you gotta make the most :cheers: :cigar: :burnout: out of your 20's, 30's, and 40's coz when you hit 50 the "engine check" light comes on. :?

340truck
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3414
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:00 am
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Now it's Zetec SE Fezzas all the way. 3 in stock 1.6, 1.4 and 1.2
1.6 Ghia is great fun and surprisingly quick. Maybe Puma 1.7 engine in the future?
Location: Hatfield Peverel Essex

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by 340truck » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 am

As a general rule...you should ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in your Capri. Might save your life one day.
Image

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7410
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Major_Tom » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:53 am

340truck wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 am
As a general rule...you should ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher in your Capri. Might save your life one day.
Or someone elses.
I'm the one that leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 784
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983 5 speed, weekend car. Audi A7 during the week. Slowly restoring a 1979 MGB + a 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Not_Anumber » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am

The console was easy enough to remove - once id worked out the small plastic tray/ trim behind the gearstick had to be pulled out to get to the fixing screws under it.
I was surprised at the amount of bare metal on the underside of the console. Whilst I had it out for a clean I primed and painted the bare metal underside.

Changing the plastic saddle under the gearstick was as easy as everyone said. Just hooked it out with a pair of long nosed pliers, put the new one in place then 3 bolts to refit the gearstick.

Does anyone know if its possible to replace the spring that's in the lower part of the gearstick ? Mine hardly needs any downwards pressure to engage reverse. I remember the last capri i had needed a strong push downwards to engage reverse which just felt safer when doing a 3 point turn with oncoming traffic. Can the stick be dismantled to replace the spring ?

User avatar
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Posts: 4421
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by stevemarl » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:31 pm

I don`t think so: even if you removed the `peened` wings` retaining the washer & rubber boot, you`d never get the spring etc past the rubber filled damper 1/3 way up the shaft. I assume the damper was assembled last in the manufacturing process.

User avatar
Major_Tom
Posts: 7410
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:21 am
Car(s): Hot 2.0S
Location: Cambridge

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Major_Tom » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:22 am

Not_Anumber wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 am
The console was easy enough to remove - once id worked out the small plastic tray/ trim behind the gearstick had to be pulled out to get to the fixing screws under it.
I was surprised at the amount of bare metal on the underside of the console. Whilst I had it out for a clean I primed and painted the bare metal underside.

Changing the plastic saddle under the gearstick was as easy as everyone said. Just hooked it out with a pair of long nosed pliers, put the new one in place then 3 bolts to refit the gearstick.

Does anyone know if its possible to replace the spring that's in the lower part of the gearstick ? Mine hardly needs any downwards pressure to engage reverse. I remember the last capri i had needed a strong push downwards to engage reverse which just felt safer when doing a 3 point turn with oncoming traffic. Can the stick be dismantled to replace the spring ?
The quaife quick shift gear lever is a good upgrade if you get sick of the slackness.
I'm the one that leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.

Post Reply